Value of: Hossa contract to cap-floor team.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
Obviously Hossa's contract isn't the biggest concern for the Hawk's this offseason, but having him on the books does limit our ability to take advantage of the free-agent market. My first instinct was Ottawa, but I think Melnyk is too cheap to pay the paltry 1M per year for a guy who won't play, even if they get some nice assets back in return. In the past, it seemed like an impossibly stupid things for us to do with fear of him retiring. Now that he's safely a LTIR guy for the rest of his contract, does it even make sense from a risk standpoint to move him?

Things to consider:
1. He can be LTIR'd the first day of the season.
2. Contract comes up in 21-22 season.
3. Cap hit is $5.275 million but he is only due $1 million per year for the rest of his contract.

What would it take?

Reactions: nhlfan9191

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I could be wrong but didn't the last CBA sort of screw teams by dumping front loaded deals? So if Chicago traded Hossa they would still have to eat a good portion of his cap hit

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
To Vancity along with Schmaltz or two 2nds in return for Gagner

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
To Vancity along with Schmaltz or two 2nds in return for Gagner

Not even close to being considered by anyone in the Hawk's org. We're talking about a contract that can be lifted off the books completely on day 1 of the season. Schmaltz is an important part of this team going forward. Would probably do it for one 2nd.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I could be wrong but didn't the last CBA sort of screw teams by dumping front loaded deals? So if Chicago traded Hossa they would still have to eat a good portion of his cap hit

It’s recapture. Right now the more that paid him vs cap hit is surplus that needs to be accounted for. If Chicago keeps him then the amount decreases to zero over contract life.

If they trade then that extra is frozen till the contract ends. If he retires or bought out then recapture kicks in and cap hit on Chicago of amount divided by years left.

Thus is hanging over Nashville with Weber being traded.

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL

You're thinking of a recapture penalty. If Hossa retired (why would he, he'll be making 1 million for not playing the rest of his contract. If he retires, he gets nothing.) we would be on the hook for all of the salary paid but not accounted for by the cap-hit, ala Weber.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Not even close to being considered by anyone in the Hawk's org. We're talking about a contract that can be lifted off the books completely on day 1 of the season. Schmaltz is an important part of this team going forward. Would probably do it for one 2nd.
Really? Ok nevermind i seem to be off with my proposals today

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
Really? Ok nevermind i seem to be off with my proposals today

Think of it this way:

We're really just trading him so that we have $5.275 AAV available to sign free-agents during the offseason. You only make a trade like this if you have someone in mind already. So, let's say you have someone in mind that you want to pick up. Would you be willing to add two 2nd round picks and your star young center in order to sign that guy? Maybe if it's Tavares, and you're completely out of other options. But wouldn't you rather just trade a guy like Anisimov and get some assets back for him, rather than lose the better asset in Schmaltz? Also, it's hard to imagine that a better offer wouldn't come in from a team far away from the cap ceiling, cause it's basically assets just for the 1M you have to pay him every year. Depends on the financial situation of the team really.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
If all it took for the hawks to dump hossa was one 2nd he would be gone already. No one is going to be doing them a favour like that for so cheap.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

You're not getting rid of him for a 2nd, no one wants to help, or save the Hawks.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Yeah, the Hawks really need saving from a contract that doesn’t count against the cap.

A LTIR contract starts the season against the cap on day 1 so team needs to comply, then he can go on L.tIR. This only works on teams who has ELC contracts they can call up against it.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Obviously Hossa's contract isn't the biggest concern for the Hawk's this offseason, but having him on the books does limit our ability to take advantage of the free-agent market. My first instinct was Ottawa, but I think Melnyk is too cheap to pay the paltry 1M per year for a guy who won't play, even if they get some nice assets back in return. In the past, it seemed like an impossibly stupid things for us to do with fear of him retiring. Now that he's safely a LTIR guy for the rest of his contract, does it even make sense from a risk standpoint to move him?

Things to consider:
1. He can be LTIR'd the first day of the season.
2. Contract comes up in 21-22 season.
3. Cap hit is $5.275 million but he is only due $1 million per year for the rest of his contract.

What would it take?

So you want a team to pay Hossa $3m for what?

- Maybe a team would trade another bad contract to Chicago in return.
- If we're just talking a draft pick deal I'd want a mid 1st round pick in return.
- Throw in some sort of decent prospect and we can move that draft pick to a 2nd or 3rd.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Take Bobby Ryan and send Hossa back to where he started. At least you get someone who can play. Saves Eugene plenty of $$$. We probably won't ever reach the cap anyways

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
It’s very important whether Hossa’s injury is covered by insurance. If it is, some bottom feeder may bite for a deal similar to Datsyuk to Arizona. If it isn’t, there are only 2 options:
1) Chicago trades Hossa to a rich team at the bottom who has cap space. Price would be significant - you should trade something as valuable as 3 million dollars. Something like Hossa + Chicago’s 1st for future considerations to NYR.
2) Chicago trades Hossa to a poor team with some cap space for a player with smaller cap hit but bigger salary. I can’t suggest anything on the spot - maybe someone can suggest something.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Well if the cap is going up, so is the cap floor. Makes sense for Coyotes.

Not sure about the value. What was the return in Datsyuk trade? That is pretty comparable.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I dont understand why you would do this. Doesn't the LTIR cover you?

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I dont understand why you would do this. Doesn't the LTIR cover you?
I think because Chicago will never have much cap space to make moves at the deadline. So let’s say the cap rises to 78M. Chicago starts the season at 75M. Add in hossa’s 5.3M, that puts them at 80.3M. So unless Chicago gets below 78 with hossa, they will never have more than 3M in cap space. It does not accrue. A team without a ltir at 75M would have 3M in cap space to start the year, but it jumps up to like 20M by the deadline due to it being accruable

Last edited:

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Well if the cap is going up, so is the cap floor. Makes sense for Coyotes.

Not sure about the value. What was the return in Datsyuk trade? That is pretty comparable.
The Datsyuk trade was for one year and covered by insurance so no real dollars. We switched first round draft picks if I recall because Chychyrn was still on the board, however, I wouldn’t consider this deal the same as the term is longer and there is actual salary to be paid in those years.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It’s very important whether Hossa’s injury is covered by insurance. If it is, some bottom feeder may bite for a deal similar to Datsyuk to Arizona. If it isn’t, there are only 2 options:
1) Chicago trades Hossa to a rich team at the bottom who has cap space. Price would be significant - you should trade something as valuable as 3 million dollars. Something like Hossa + Chicago’s 1st for future considerations to NYR.
2) Chicago trades Hossa to a poor team with some cap space for a player with smaller cap hit but bigger salary. I can’t suggest anything on the spot - maybe someone can suggest something.

I highly doubt Hossa's deal is covered by insurance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad