Movies: Horror Movie Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
100% agreed. I remember watching Contagion and thinking I could save the world just by shooting that virus in its face with a shotgun and sending it back from wherever it came from. Which according to my geopolitical knowledge is whichever country the US happens to be feuding with at that time.

Elsewhere, do you all really recommend Hausu? It's made it to my short list to watch this week and if someone gives me another endorsement of it then it will seal the nomination
Hausu endorsement here too!

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
ROTLD in a theater with other fans of movie would be fun experience I imagine

Wonder if you will get this as one of your mystery movies

Such a weird movie experience to watch as a kid and still weird as an adult. Tone was completely different from 1st movie

Of note it is also stars Sandra Bernard before her Wings success and the drill killer is son of Mike Ilitch

I could see SPM2 being a fun theater experience just for its absurdity and camp

I'd be very happy if that's one of the mystery movies.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Dogs (1976)

I forgot all about this movie until seeing it listed on Prime. It was one of many 'Natural Horror" films to come out in 70's especially after Jaws runaway success. If I recall it appeared on TBS (Back when they showed old movies on weekend mornings) among films like Night of the Lepus, etc

Upon rewatching this I was reminded why it was so forgettable. One of the worst entries in the Natural Horror genre of time

Predictable, poorly acted and the dogs attack scenes are essentially just dogs giving people hugs

David McCallum as star in this film gives zero effort. A phoned in performance for a check is best way to describe it

And of course, the ending ties up nothing with no explanation of why Dogs are suddenly attacking. Just some lame 'Scent" that gets thrown in there without much explanation

Ends on very predictable note (So many of these films in 70's end on this) of radio broadcast revealing it is occurring elsewhere and only effecting dogs. Then a cat walks onto side of road and roars (Well not really, just some noise that doesn't sound like a cat hiss/meow/etc) implying Cats are going to soon start attacking

2/10

If your fan of genre its something you will want to watch once at least. But its very weak entry into genre

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Ok, watched Hausu. I have some thoughts. Kind of impossible to watch this movie and not have thoughts.

It was OK. Very well made, it's clear the director and crew were very deliberate when crafting every scene. They also had a game plan and they stuck to it. Really I can't think of anything bad to say about this film - I am clearly not its target audience.

The whimsy at the beginning was great. The closest comparables I can think of are the video game Earthbound meets the Wizard of Oz. The purposely fake backdrops add a lot of charm, and I can't tell if the director intended the paintings to not fill up the entire frame, or if that was due to a change in aspect ratio 35+ years later on streaming compared to film. If it was deliberate, hey that's a tasteful wink to the audience that this guy really knows what he's doing.

The film starts to go downhill, both for the characters and for me as the viewer, once the haunted house aspect kicks in. It's certainly not a flaw that it's mean-spirited, if you will pardon the pun, but it didn't add much to me as part of the viewing experience.

The one-dimensional characters are a bit grating, but that again seems deliberate. Perhaps a meta commentary on the one note cannon fodder characters in the horror genre - especially female ones.

The movie seems to have strong roots in a post-Hiroshima world. The clash of the not-quite-right Western rock meeting the monotonous piano score is jarring, something I like in a horror movie.

To wrap this up, there is one really cool character (Kung Fu, who knows Kung Fu) and a few really funny scenes. Including one where a cat just randomly jumps into the villain's lap. But overall, there were a lot of parts of the movie that just didn't do it for me. Probably more a reflection of myself than on the acclaimed filmmaker.

Either way, thank you Hockey's Future for introducing me to a film I never would have seen otherwise. I truly have not seen anything like it. The movie was certainly not a waste of time even if I didn't enjoy it that much, and a great start to the spooky season for me.

Next up on the list: HBO's documentary on stealing the election. Not a traditional horror movie of course, but one that will likely frighten me to my core.

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Didn’t see the 2022 Danish version so I can’t speak to what’s better but the 2024 American version of Speak No Evil was quite good I thought.

Don’t let people walk all over you folks!

8.1/10

Very curious to see what you guys make of The Substance.
I’ll be checking it out at some point in the next week I hope, looks very interesting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad