HockeyProspect.com - 2024 Draft Rankings- June 10th 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
Rankings whatever. Bob McKenzie doing Hockey News rankings is quite the tradition. Like for 40 years
Our point is that our rankings are not a prediction. Where we would select a player and where we predict he might come off the board can be two very different things.

Bob calling 10 scouts to get a consensus vs our list are also very different processes.

I actually really generally agree with these rankings. After months of catching criticism on the Flames board about opinions of Levshunov, Buium, Yakemchuk, and Freij, it’s nice to have some form of validation from much more knowledgeable people. The consensus rankings and reports seem to spread like wildfire among people who don’t really watch.

The backend of the first I’d have some guys that aren’t on here (Stiga, Pettersson, etc.), but at that point there’s so much variance anyways.

After awhile you start to doubt your own evaluations a bit.

Always been a massive hockey nerd, coach, and played at a decent level growing up, and always enjoyed the draft. But this year because being off of work for surgery I’ve watched so much hockey and got much more in depth with this class than ever before. Will have to make this a yearly thing, I’m thinking.

Getting Flamed is no fun.

Agreed on the consensus spreading like wildfire. That's why we take some heat at times or even get accused of chasing clicks (no ads on our website but we are chasing clicks lol) - hearing different opinions is a good thing, it can lead to going back and checking a player but if you go back and check and still see what u saw then stick with what you thought.

Glad you enjoyed your scouting season, hope your recovery is going well.

This makes sense and I was thinking about this is my limited viewing of Broberg in these playoffs as he has the ability to gain the zone from his zone but after that he just doesn't process the game well enough to be as good as he looks with his skating.

I haven't watched enough of conelly to say if he will have the same problems but for me this type of player is a huge red flag for projecting to the NHL level as hockey sense, or processing skills, can't really be improved upon.

Players either have it or they don't.
In the Hlinka, Brogerg looked like a star gaining the line. After that, not so much. We watched him a ton that year and didn't like his hockey IQ. I think we had him early 20's.
I see you guys are still fairly high on Adam Jiricek. He's a player I'd definitely consider for the Blues at 16. With such an unfortunate year for him do you still lean heavily on his D-1 performance? Also where do you think he should be playing next year?
Injured players are a pain. We saw him this year and the bulk is based on that.
@Mark Edwards Did you guys forget to include the profile/write-up for Brandsegg-Nygard in the print verison?

I just got my copy today and opened it up and it appears all the players are listed alphabetically by last name and mine goes right from Boisvert to Brauti. I looked in the N's for him as well but didn't see him there.

Any idea if this was an omission on your end or if I'm just losing my mind?

(If I am right, if you could send me the write-up and quotes I would appreciate it.. lol)
He's in there. Tiny mistake but he is there.

Top 32 video is being recorded right now (yeah I'm not in it) and we'll try to record the Q&A video before Thursday. It can be a pain to schedule when we can all make it to record.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Our point is that our rankings are not a prediction. Where we would select a player and where we predict he might come off the board can be two very different things.

Bob calling 10 scouts to get a consensus vs our list are also very different processes.

Getting Flamed is no fun.

Agreed on the consensus spreading like wildfire. That's why we take some heat at times or even get accused of chasing clicks (no ads on our website but we are chasing clicks lol) - hearing different opinions is a good thing, it can lead to going back and checking a player but if you go back and check and still see what u saw then stick with what you thought.

Glad you enjoyed your scouting season, hope your recovery is going well.

In the Hlinka, Brogerg looked like a star gaining the line. After that, not so much. We watched him a ton that year and didn't like his hockey IQ. I think we had him early 20's.

Injured players are a pain. We saw him this year and the bulk is based on that.

He's in there. Tiny mistake but he is there.

Top 32 video is being recorded right now (yeah I'm not in it) and we'll try to record the Q&A video before Thursday. It can be a pain to schedule when we can all make it to record.
When is your draft preview to hit book shelf?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Do you know what page?
Nevermind, found it! (It’s on page 198 for anyone else that might run into the same issue.)

Thanks for putting this product out and making a print version for as long as you did.

I know you said this is the last year of The Black Book, do you know if whatever you are transitioning to (the newer/smaller guide) will be available via print?

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
When is your draft preview to hit book shelf?
It's on amazon now.
Nevermind, found it! (It’s on page 198 for anyone else that might run into the same issue.)

Thanks for putting this product out and making a print version for as long as you did.

I know you said this is the last year of The Black Book, do you know if whatever you are transitioning to (the newer/smaller guide) will be available via print?
Right now I'll say most likely yes.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
Player outside of your top 20 that you'd be the least surprised turned out to be a top line/top pair driver?
Top line is a bit more difficult. I'd probably go with Beaudoin or Surin. Gridin has top line talent for sure but not sure he's the guy I'd be least surprised.
@Mark Edwards Did you guys have any discussion on including Romani in the top 100?
We had a chat mid season about him. I had run into his agent at a game. (his agent is a friend and used to scout for us)

I'll be surprised if he isn't drafted.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
"I watched it last night, I planned on just fast-forwarding through it just to see the rankings but I ended up watching the whole video from start to finish, it was fantastic! Jerome and Brad give outstanding assessments and their knowledge of their craft really shines through. I highly recommend it and I am looking forward to 17 through 1"

Thanks for the kind words. I'm lucky to have quality scouts at HP, they are difficult to find.

Part two is coming soon. (most likely tomorrow)

We recorded this years Q&A video on Wednesday afternoon. It will be live on Youtube on Monday. It's 30 minutes and I joined the guys for that one.

If you have a Youtube account, we would really appreciate it if you would hit the subscribe button on our channel. Starting in September, we should have a minimum of one video added each week. July and August will be quiet, it's our 2 months to recharge the batteries. I barely even speak to our guys in those two months other than for Hlinka week. ( a reminder that we are not the biggest fans of the Hlinka).

FinnBear

Feb 21, 2016
I know this isn't a linear comment but I also throw my vote in the hat to have next year's product in print. There is nothing more relaxing than settling in with a prospect report in print.

Reactions: Frk It

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
I know this isn't a linear comment but I also throw my vote in the hat to have next year's product in print. There is nothing more relaxing than settling in with a prospect report in print.
Barring something weird with amazon, it's a pretty safe bet we'll do a print version. i never like to promise 100% because when we include a 3rd party certain things become out of my control.

Reactions: Frk It

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
@Mark Edwards amazing job as always!

Dean Letourneau - how would you compare him to Tage Thompson? Similar skill and upside?
He never gave me Tage vibes at all. He gave me Nick Ritchie vibes.
@MarkEdwards May I ask why Silayev over Dickinson? Besides 6'7" vs 6'3".
First off, I can't stress enough how tight it is from our 2nd to 8th ranked players. It was comical talking to scouts this year about the top 10. I would trade top 10's with scouts and we would both just basically say "ok, fair enough" it was so tight for everyone. No debates.

So the big rig edged Dickinson (I'm a huge fan) for me because I think Dickinson is closer to a finished product than Siiayev is. If someone took Dickinson 2nd overall I wouldn't be shocked...also won't be shocked if he goes 10th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad