Hockey News Season Preview

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
The cover boy is Tyler Seguin

And

The Countdown based on a model devised similar to WAR but with other formulas called Game Score presented

There are two predictions - one subjective whatever - Bruins are 4th in division behind the 2 Florida teams and Montreal. Don't see it but I will wait till opening night when I have more information. The other is stat based and has an amazing success rate as far I can tell and is likely indicative of where they finish. This would have Boston 2nd in division and 4th in conference.

1. Pittsbugh 108.0
2. San Jose 103.8
3. LA Kings 101.7
4. Washington 100.9
5. Tampa Bay 100.3
6. Boston 99.7
7. St. Louis 99.7
8. Florida 98.4
9. Dallas 97.8
10. Montreal 97.7
11. Chicago 97.0
12. Nashville 96.3
13. Minnesota 94.9
14. NY islanders 94.0
15. Philadelphia 91.9
16. Detroit 91.7
17. Anaheim 91.6
18. NY Rangers 90.4
19. Calgary 90.0
20. Ottawa 90.0
21. Winnipeg 89.1
22. Columbus 88.1
23. Edmonton 87.4
24. Colorado 85.9
25. Toronto 85.2
26. NJ Devils 81.3
27. Carolina 80.7
28. Arizona 80.5
29. Buffalio 77.5
30. Vancouver 76.1

Few observations

I realize it is a formula called Game Score but I think Buffalo is to low. Boston seems a bit high but all the negative crap here from phony Bruins fans that secretly root against them so they can puff out there chest and say 'see I told you they suck Sweeney sucks' (like anyone cares or would remember by the next meal) may have clouded my take this is a good team

The spread on Seguin makes you just want to punch him for being so ****ing immature when he was here and forcing their hand.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Haven't read this yet but has Seguin really grown up any? I am not a fan of the kid but, much like Patrick Kane, I hope he gets his act together and doesn't waste a career because of booze.

Bruins are third in the division and second round out. Good growth as next year we should see an influx of some of the picks from last year and maybe McAvoy.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Haven't read this yet but has Seguin really grown up any? I am not a fan of the kid but, much like Patrick Kane, I hope he gets his act together and doesn't waste a career because of booze.

I think he's grown up enough:laugh:

As the illustrations show he's a gym so I think he will be ok.

He'd look nice on Krejci RW right about now

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa

And

The Countdown based on a model devised similar to WAR but with other formulas called Game Score presented

There are two predictions - one subjective whatever - Bruins are 4th in division behind the 2 Florida teams and Montreal. Don't see it but I will wait till opening night when I have more information. The other is stat based and has an amazing success rate as far I can tell and is likely indicative of where they finish. This would have Boston 2nd in division and 4th in conference.

1. Pittsbugh 108.0
2. San Jose 103.8
3. LA Kings 101.7
4. Washington 100.9
5. Tampa Bay 100.3
6. Boston 99.7
7. St. Louis 99.7
8. Florida 98.4
9. Dallas 97.8
10. Montreal 97.7
11. Chicago 97.0
12. Nashville 96.3
13. Minnesota 94.9
14. NY islanders 94.0
15. Philadelphia 91.9
16. Detroit 91.7
17. Anaheim 91.6
18. NY Rangers 90.4
19. Calgary 90.0
20. Ottawa 90.0
21. Winnipeg 89.1
22. Columbus 88.1
23. Edmonton 87.4
24. Colorado 85.9
25. Toronto 85.2
26. NJ Devils 81.3
27. Carolina 80.7
28. Arizona 80.5
29. Buffalio 77.5
30. Vancouver 76.1

Few observations

I realize it is a formula called Game Score but I think Buffalo is to low. Boston seems a bit high but all the negative crap here from phony Bruins fans that secretly root against them so they can puff out there chest and say 'see I told you they suck Sweeney sucks' (like anyone cares or would remember by the next meal) may have clouded my take this is a good team

The spread on Seguin makes you just want to punch him for being so ****ing immature when he was here and forcing their hand.

Forcing their hand?! He had just turned 21. Unbelievable this narrative is still alive.

I'm guessing I missed the sarcasm on reading it again.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
The kid was 20, what person wasn't an idiot at 20.

Bruins are too high, I see 3rd at best in the division behind the powerhouse TB and the up and coming talented Panthers.

This team needs C.Miller to come out as a solid #2-#3 guy and this team wont be as bad as the fortune tellers out in HF land claim them to be.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010

Bruins are third in the division and second round out. Good growth as next year we should see an influx of some of the picks from last year and maybe McAvoy.

Seguin has played at an elite level the last few years and is one of the best scorers in the league, not exactly wasting his career.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Forcing their hand?! He had just turned 21. Unbelievable this narrative is still alive.

The transgressions apparently exceeded immaturity and possibly regressed into profound disrespect.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Seguin has played at an elite level the last few years and is one of the best scorers in the league, not exactly wasting his career.

I don't know about elite,so far he's a PPG player and a 37 goal scorer. I'd say excellent but not elite.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I don't know about elite,so far he's a PPG player and a 37 goal scorer. I'd say excellent but not elite.

A Marchand - Bergeron - Seguin line would easily be one of the best lines in the league at this point had we not been so cocky about moving him.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

A Marchand - Bergeron - Seguin line would easily be one of the best lines in the league at this point had we not been so cocky about moving him.

I find it equally unbelievable that THIS narrative is still alive.

Do you really think the B's gave up on a 2nd overall pick for run of the mill, he's just 21, acts of immaturity? Or could it have been they had serious concerns on his viability as an NHL player based on some of the stuff he was doing?

If 50% of what I heard was true, I would have moved him as well. My issue with the deal wasn't that they traded Seguin, it was that they didn't get nearly enough.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I don't miss Seguin.

I will also be surprised if we are behind Montreal this year. I don't buy the Florida hype either.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I actually think Montreal will be improved. How can they not with Carey Price back in the lineup? I think Weber will stabilize the D.

It wouldn't suprise me if Florida struggled after all their guys appear to have signed long term deals. Might take their foot off the gas.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

There was much more to it that cannot be discussed here. They weren't cocky,they were being something but not that.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
If Carey Price is healthy, I see the Bruins finishing fourth 4th in the division behind Montreal...possibly lower and this is for the simple fact that the Bruins did not get better this off-season, while OTT and BUF got better.

I love the Bruins and I will continue to give Sweeney the benefit of the doubt...especially considering the B's future at D looks pretty bright. But THIS year could be pretty ugly.

With the addition of Derick Brassard, Ottawa has an impressive top 6. Hate him all you want but with Dion Phaneuf, OTT has a legitimate #2 defensemen to play with Karlsson. If Methot is healthy and Ceci continues to develop, their top-4 is leaps and bounds better than Bostons. The only area BOS outperforms OTT is in goal...and even then, is Rask going to play up to his ability this year?

BUF is better with the additions of Kyle Okposo and Kulikov, their young players, whuich are many, are a year older. Their Defense looks good to me. Good mix of size, speed and skill. The goaltending is average, but see comments above regarding Rask.

So - could the Bruins finish in 3rd? To me, that would be a best possible scenario. More likely 4th. Possibly 5th. Hold on to you hats, Bruins fans.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

And

1. Pittsbugh 108.0
2. San Jose 103.8
3. LA Kings 101.7
4. Washington 100.9
5. Tampa Bay 100.3
6. Boston 99.7
7. St. Louis 99.7
8. Florida 98.4
9. Dallas 97.8
10. Montreal 97.7
11. Chicago 97.0
12. Nashville 96.3
13. Minnesota 94.9
14. NY islanders 94.0
15. Philadelphia 91.9
16. Detroit 91.7
17. Anaheim 91.6
18. NY Rangers 90.4
19. Calgary 90.0
20. Ottawa 90.0
21. Winnipeg 89.1
22. Columbus 88.1
23. Edmonton 87.4
24. Colorado 85.9
25. Toronto 85.2
26. NJ Devils 81.3
27. Carolina 80.7
28. Arizona 80.5
29. Buffalio 77.5
30. Vancouver 76.1

Few observations

Are those of us who truly do feel this defense sucks, and thus this team will likely be mediocre to potentially worse, "phony fans"? All due respect but I think you might need to be a bit more open to the skepticism. I think the number of people who are pessimistic about this team and question the judgment of this front office is fairly significant in the circles I travel. They could all be wrong, but I know a lot of them are real fans.

HiyaGeorgii

Apr 6, 2016
I'm shocked Seguin is on the cover. You would have figured he would have been in jail by now going by the triangle of terribleness on Behind the B. If the three headed idiot squad gave us half of Bowman, Seguin would still be a Bruin.

The deal was terrible then and even worse now considering they have one choke and 2 DNQ's since he left, never mind having absolutely nothing to show for him.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I find it equally unbelievable that THIS narrative is still alive.

Do you really think the B's gave up on a 2nd overall pick for run of the mill, he's just 21, acts of immaturity? Or could it have been they had serious concerns on his viability as an NHL player based on some of the stuff he was doing?

If 50% of what I heard was true, I would have moved him as well. My issue with the deal wasn't that they traded Seguin, it was that they didn't get nearly enough.

Yup. I had questions about his ability to make a difference in the playoffs after 2013, and by all accounts some off-ice stuff was pretty bad. I don't begrudge them moving him but the kids they got in addition to Loui weren't nearly promising enough.

It's funny though. Chiarelli butchered that deal and it involved a young, talented kid. And yet when he trades a player of the same age and promise for Larsson, people use it as the key example that the market for Dman is prohibitively high. So now apparently he sets the market with his prices, but a few years ago he got bent over. Sort of odd to me.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I'm shocked Seguin is on the cover. You would have figured he would have been in jail by now going by the triangle of terribleness on Behind the B. If the three headed idiot squad gave us half of Bowman, Seguin would still be a Bruin.

The deal was terrible then and even worse now considering they have one choke and 2 DNQ's since he left, never mind having absolutely nothing to show for him.
The error was not trading him it was where we are now

If Reilly Smith was the Florida guy and Loui just signed a 5/30 deal there would be crickets

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Yup. I had questions about his ability to make a difference in the playoffs after 2013, and by all accounts some off-ice stuff was pretty bad. I don't begrudge them moving him but the kids they got in addition to Loui weren't nearly promising enough.

It's funny though. Chiarelli butchered that deal and it involved a young, talented kid. And yet when he trades a player of the same age and promise for Larsson, people use it as the key example that the market for Dman is prohibitively high. So now apparently he sets the market with his prices, but a few years ago he got bent over. Sort of odd to me.

They might have gotten 55 goals out of Smith and Loui,compared to Seguin's 37.....

Chiz1982

Feb 10, 2011
North Sydney, NS
People saying the Bruins team is no better this year then the team they had last year is laughable. Honestly, who all did they lose to make the team worse?

Sure I agree Loui was a big loss, but we got Backes who is a good player, maybe not as good but def not worthy of calling the team worse. Who else did we lose? Kelly (was injured all year) and Seids (Slow and did more harm to our record then good).

Why I think we have a better team:
1. Biggest reason is our young players, specifically on D... these players 9 times out of 10 will have a better season and are still progressing. C Miller, Pastrnak, Spooner, Morrow, Vatrano!

2. Liles will be on the back end the whole season and not just the final stretch, which also helps make our D better then it was last year. C. Miller and Morrow being better and more experienced this year improves our D. Also Cap Space available to improve further.

Hard to say this early but i think we have a better chance at making the playoffs this year then last year. Hopefully injuries stay to a minimum too.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
People saying the Bruins team is no better this year then the team they had last year is laughable. Honestly, who all did they lose to make the team worse?

Sure I agree Loui was a big loss, but we got Backes who is a good player, maybe not as good but def not worthy of calling the team worse. Who else did we lose? Kelly (was injured all year) and Seids (Slow and did more harm to our record then good).

1. Biggest reason is our young players, specifically on D... these players 9 times out of 10 will have a better season and are still progressing. C Miller, Pastrnak, Spooner, Morrow, Vatrano!

2. Liles will be on the back end the whole season and not just the final stretch, which also helps make our D better then it was last year. C. Miller and Morrow being better and more experienced this year improves our D. Also Cap Space available to improve further.

Hard to say this early but i think we have a better chance at making the playoffs this year then last year. Hopefully injuries stay to a minimum too.

I don't think it's remotely "laughable" to think this year's team could be worse. I'm not saying they will be worse, but I don't buy any of those reasons as defense for why they will be better.

JM Liles is a 3rd pairing d-man. He's a marginal upgrade over Joe Morrow, and again, a 3rd pair upgrade. And yeah the kids should be better, but then again, how much older will your best defenseman look? This could easily be the year that Chara completely breaks down, and that would sink this team immediately.

For my money I see this team as about equal as last year. They might be a hair better, they might be a hair worse.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010

My concern is regression from the core guys, most of which had healthy and very productive seasons last year.

Hopefully there is progress from our young dmen, if not we are in trouble. Lots of other teams have young players that are progressing as well so it isn't a big advantage, also Chara is regressing.

the overrated

wicked overrated
Jul 13, 2006
Suburbia

It seems that you're counting on three things:
1) the young players to all improve and dramatically, with no consideration that some might not improve or that some might even regress a bit. That "9 times out of 10" seems to be a very optimistic estimate.
2) that while age will help all of the young players, none of the older players will be negatively impacted by being a year older. Chara was already losing a step in the past year or so, what if that continues or becomes worse? Three of the big off-season signings are 32, 36, and 36; will age catch up to any of them this year?
3) the team will be as injury free as last year. They were reasonably unaffected by injuries last season, IMHO it's likely that they'll suffer a few more this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad