Hockey essay question

mattkaz

Jan 28, 2003
Ottawa, ON
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm writing a paper for a Canadian History class I'm taking as the last credit of my history minor.

One of the topics is as follows: There is a lot of pressure on our hockey players to win due to the fact that the sport is intertwined with the national identity. There is no doubt that hockey is Canada's national game and its greatest contribution to world sport. When and why did the game of hockey become so intertwined with the national identity? What factors led to the professionalization of the sport? How has the culture of hockey evolved over the last 100 years?

I've got about 10 books and a journal article or two and I'm just starting to research. A lot of you guys seem to be big hockey historians so I figured this assignment gives me the unique opportunity to use HFBoards to lead me to sources. Anyone got some got suggestions for my research?

I'm not here to get you guys to do my homework for me, I just think I could gain some pretty valuable ideas and resources by hearing what you guys think about the question. Thanks in advance for any insight you guys have!

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Hey guys,

I'm writing a paper for a Canadian History class I'm taking as the last credit of my history minor.

One of the topics is as follows: There is a lot of pressure on our hockey players to win due to the fact that the sport is intertwined with the national identity. There is no doubt that hockey is Canada's national game and its greatest contribution to world sport. When and why did the game of hockey become so intertwined with the national identity? What factors led to the professionalization of the sport? How has the culture of hockey evolved over the last 100 years?

I've got about 10 books and a journal article or two and I'm just starting to research. A lot of you guys seem to be big hockey historians so I figured this assignment gives me the unique opportunity to use HFBoards to lead me to sources. Anyone got some got suggestions for my research?

I'm not here to get you guys to do my homework for me, I just think I could gain some pretty valuable ideas and resources by hearing what you guys think about the question. Thanks in advance for any insight you guys have!

Start by reading these books:

Lords Of the Rinks: The Emergence Of the NHL (Wong)
Canada's Game: Hockey and Identity (Holman)
Hockey Night In Canada (Gruneau/Whitson)

Between the three of them, all your questions will be answered.

KingJoyal

Feb 4, 2010
Here's a possible angle to approach. Look at how hockey, in Canada, used to be a "road out" for young guys who didn't have the means to attend university. Hockey used to be a sport someone could play somewhat inexpensively, and if someone demonstrated ability well above normal, there was an opportunity to make a name for yourself and earn money beyond what most Canadians were earning. NHL salaries might not have been terrific, but how many guys would have earned more in blue collar jobs?

Just as young American guys from working class backgrounds could look at older guys from the same background who had used sports ability to "get out," and were inspired to do the same (or at least try), young Canadian guys of similar backgrounds were inspired by the older guys who had successfully carved out a career in hockey.

Let me add that Doug Harvey is someone of note from the not-too-distant past who is a classic example of someone who saw professional hockey as his best chance to make decent money. Harvey followed up an NHL career of Hall of Fame calibre with a stint of minor pro hockey, before expansion allowed him to return to the NHL. Would he have been "slumming" in the AHL if he could have earned equal or better money elsewhere off the ice? Had it not been for professional hockey, where might Doug Harvey have wound up?

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
When I was in college (long, long ago) I always had to write about things I could only pretend to have any interest in (in the interest of passing). I hope you feel fortunate.

mattkaz

Jan 28, 2003
Ottawa, ON
Visit site
seventieslord: I already have one of those books, and I'm having a hard time tracking down the other two but I'm going to keep an eye out for them at the public library and school libraries. Thanks!

KingJoyal: That's a great idea. I'll look further into it and I've written it into my outline.

Dennis Bonvie: Most papers are still about things you can only pretend to be interested in, but I have had a number of fun ones in my years. This one takes the cake though!

finchster: I'm narrowed my research today and as of right now, I'm only using "Imagining a Canadian Identity through Sport: A Historical Interpretation of Lacrosse and Hockey" from The Journal of American Folklore, Vol. 115, No. 456.

I think I feel very comfortable with the first two questions and am mostly trying to come up with ways that the game has evolved in the last 100 years (obviously pertaining to Canada).

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Puting a Roof On Winter: Hockey's Rise from Sport to Spectacle by Michael McKinley could be very helpful in your research.

I just read it for fun, but there is a lot of information in there that would be useful for your topic.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Puting a Roof On Winter: Hockey's Rise from Sport to Spectacle by Michael McKinley could be very helpful in your research.

I just read it for fun, but there is a lot of information in there that would be useful for your topic.

Dreakmur is right. It's probably less useful than the ones I mentioned, but it is definitely the easiest to read and the one that is the most about hockey.

james bond

Aug 5, 2007
Two books to add to your research would be Bruce Dowbiggins, Meanining of Puck: How hockey explains modern Canada.
The premise of the book for me (as well as hearing an interview) was how hockey used to reflect values of Canada and today the game reflects far less of Canadians values. New immigrants are less apt to pick up the sport. PC!
Gare Joyce's (a talented author), The Night the Lights went out in Piestany was also a good read, hockey in a different era even though not so long ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad