Hockey Diversity Alliance slams NHL/NHLPA announcement of Player Inclusion Coalition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I mean, on the one hand, they're probably right, but on the other, I would rather have waited to see if this truly does end up being Business As Usual before calling them out on it. Like, compare HDA results versus PIC results after a year and then point out "hey, we were here first and we actually do shit rather than just serve as a marketing ploy."

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
7rlokk.gif

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
I don’t doubt that there are players/executives who are progressive in their thinking. But the fact is, the “culture” of hockey is not progressive at all. As in, down to frozen pond games. And corporate moral posturing is almost always interpreted as shrewd business strategy, not “the right thing.”

I don’t think you fix or modernize the culture of a sport from the top down. But, I admit most involved parties are in a lose-lose situation regardless of what they decide.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This would be a non issue if the HDA could form a good working relationship with the NHL but at almost every turn they call the league out for something or other.
The NHL doesn't want to work with the HDA. How are you supposed to address systems racism/bigotry in the NHL...if you're not allowed to identify it?

It's pretty transparent the NHL wants its own D&I initiative for PR purposes, that they can control (and not have to actually do anything).

I'm skeptical that the HDA is making a huge impact, but the NHL-sponsored version will certainly be useless.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The NHL doesn't want to work with the HDA. How are you supposed to address systems racism/bigotry in the NHL...if you're not allowed to identify it?

It's pretty transparent the NHL wants its own D&I initiative for PR purposes, that they can control (and not have to actually do anything).

I'm skeptical that the HDA is making a huge impact, but the NHL-sponsored version will certainly be useless.

You can address it without slamming the league in the paper every time you don't get your way. The NHL originally did try to work with them and they couldn't make it work and now HDA just runs to the press every time the NHL does something they don't like.

You can call attention to change without slagging the org you want to work with every chance you get.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
You can address it without slamming the league in the paper every time you don't get your way. The NHL originally did try to work with them and they couldn't make it work and now HDA just runs to the press every time the NHL does something they don't like.

You can call attention to change without slagging the org you want to work with every chance you get.
The problems are with the organization. This is like saying you want to fix a car with a broken transmission without fixing or replacing the transmission.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The problems are with the organization. This is like saying you want to fix a car with a broken transmission without fixing or replacing the transmission.

We can agree to disagree on this. Teams and the league work with many different orgs to address diversity and inclusion.

They just can't seem to work with this one group. It takes two to make a relationship work. Both parties could do a better job fostering a positive working relationship.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Things will evolve spontaneously with, in particular, the emergence of Asian-American and Hispano-American players from recent immigration. In the Brick Invitational, we see a lot of them.

Just people looking to get high-paying bullshit jobs.

The speech does not take into account a reality: the NHL is a world sports league and not strictly the North American civil society. If the players who win on the ice are Swedes, Czechs or Russians, that's how it is.

These are virtually invisible in organizations. Kekalainen is the only European to be G.M.

The absence of women on the ice is an evidence of nature.

I am afraid that NHL will be forced in a few years to follow the same path as SA Rugby : to apply racist and discriminatory policies in the name of the fight against discrimination.

The double standard with the NBA and the NFL, which are increasingly homogeneous leagues around a minority, and who are presented as examples of diversity is inconsistent too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad