Hockey Cards - Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Damn this is a lot of denial.
Oh well, it is what it is. I can’t change the mind of a stranger on a hockey forum.

"not a homer"
Are you sure? How can you be so sure?

If McDavid quit hockey today, you think he has a GOAT resume as a center with 0 Cups and (since 2017, his first successful season) other guys beating him for Art Ross (3x times), Hart (5x times, 5 different guys no less!)...that doesn't scream dominance to me as a scoring center. How can he be GOAT of all time when he's not even GOAT season to season?

Sounds like a severe case of recency bias to me.

Kind of glad the bedard cycle is gone now, hopefully prices wont be so comically high now for this crop.

The premium for Celebrini should be interesting to see.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
No need to define what proves a top 100 player. It's already assumed he appears to have a top 100 player resume. But the GOATs already have much higher criteria. The big four all have huge resumes and are known outside of hockey.
Are we arguing that he's at the level of the big 4 or in the same tier as Evgeni Malkin??

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
It’s pretty easy to explain. You’re newly rich, maybe from crypto or some other investment. You buy cards of players you know.

In fact, Vintage cards are so poorly printed, unless they’re super high grade or pre-war, there’s little to generate interest. One of the cards on that list is a game worn jersey shield 1/1 autographed by Wayne Gretzky.

I remember one year I had a windfall of well over $50k and I blew 90% of that on hockey cases. It never once occurred to me to buy a vintage card. Why? My first collecting was coins. And like coin collecting, it’s dying and the majority of collecting is done by guys born 70s or earlier. With all the hype around modern players with tons of video on YT and games on TV, and the fact the early 90s being the most exciting era of hockey ever, the card collecting base is under 50.
Yeah I agree to an extent. But it's a lot easier to lose money in all these new cards if you hold on to them, as opposed to simply flipping them (See Lafreniere, Kaprizov and hundreds more). And TBH, breaking cases for the most part yields much less than what you put in, it's basically like buying scratch tickets hoping you hit a big one, or playing slot machines. We see the fake You Tube videos of an awesome 1/1 find, yet we don't see the thousand other breaks of simple garbage and a waste of a thousand bucks. Vintage hockey are for holding on to long term and making steady long term growth, basically enjoying them (Although Baseball Vintage is a much better investment). To each their own, I guess I'm more of the thought of buying Berkshire Hathaway stock as opposed to Crypto.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
"not a homer"
Are you sure? How can you be so sure?
Seeing as how it’s your single opinion vs several others here, I’m pretty sure.

I even got Satan on my side.

How can he be GOAT of all time when he's not even GOAT season to season?
Quite an embellishment considering not once did I say he’s the goat of all time. This is a sign you’re unhinged and losing the argument.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Yeah I agree to an extent. But it's a lot easier to lose money in all these new cards if you hold on to them, as opposed to simply flipping them (See Lafreniere, Kaprizov and hundreds more). And TBH, breaking cases for the most part yields much less than what you put in, it's basically like buying scratch tickets hoping you hit a big one, or playing slot machines. We see the fake You Tube videos of an awesome 1/1 find, yet we don't see the thousand other breaks of simple garbage and a waste of a thousand bucks. Vintage hockey are for holding on to long term and making steady long term growth, basically enjoying them (Although Baseball Vintage is a much better investment). To each their own, I guess I'm more of the thought of buying Berkshire Hathaway stock as opposed to Crypto.

No argument there, I'm not justifying what they're doing, just explaining the mechanisms.

But, if you can buy early, in other words if you commit money early and order your cases, it can be quite rewarding.

Just counting hockey, I've broken literally hundreds of cases. I used to post them on Beckett Forums. Between finding very good prices, sticking to core products (I feel like there's only 4 that come out for sure every year) and sticking ONLY to good years or heavily discounted product, it is possible to find your way to high expected value.

One thing I find myself doing is opening the same product over and over, then skipping the next two seasons. Then again, somehow I have ridiculous luck in box openings. I don't have the, open one pack and make back three boxes of value but I have the open 3 cases and get 4 cases of value over many, many cases.

Reactions: Craig Ludwig

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Seeing as how it’s your single opinion vs several others here, I’m pretty sure.

I even got Satan on my side.

Quite an embellishment considering not once did I say he’s the goat of all time. This is a sign you’re unhinged and losing the argument.

You know GOAT stands for Greatest Of All Time right? And in hockey the general debate is the top 4 and then who is number 5.

By the way you should look up the term "bandwagon fallacy".

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Are we arguing that he's at the level of the big 4 or in the same tier as Evgeni Malkin??

I'm not sure, I'm talking about a hobby GOAT, which usually means a GOAT player but it doesn't always. Sometimes a player can be great but not get recognition for it, like Malkin as you mentioned above.

For example, it's obvious the previous era that is coming to an end, there's a clear top two. But is there a 3 or a 4? Or is it just the top 2? Malkin imo is three as a player but as someone collected, he's not. It might just be those two.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
I stand corrected, I'm old school (Vintage) and TBH cannot comprehend how people would pay that amount of money...

I'm with you 100%. I look at that list and I think most of those cards are total garbage. All these cards with a piece of the jersey or an autograph are just manufactured manipulative nonsense. Only value because of forced rarity. No different than just going down to your local gas station and buying a quick pick lottery ticket.

The ones where there are two random stars on the same card with autos or jersey pieces are the worst by far. Just disgusting nonsense.

No thanks, I'll stick with vintage and won't even look twice at anything produced after the 80s.

Reactions: Craig Ludwig

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
IMG_0806.png
Got that in a break the other day. Do I chase the rest of the rainbow now?

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I'm with you 100%. I look at that list and I think most of those cards are total garbage. All these cards with a piece of the jersey or an autograph are just manufactured manipulative nonsense. Only value because of forced rarity. No different than just going down to your local gas station and buying a quick pick lottery ticket.

The ones where there are two random stars on the same card with autos or jersey pieces are the worst by far. Just disgusting nonsense.

No thanks, I'll stick with vintage and won't even look twice at anything produced after the 80s.

It works like this: you become a fan when you become a fan. For me it was 1990. My first favorite player, back in high school, was Rob Blake and I have a binder full of Blake cards worth like 20 bucks. As I became a more experienced viewer, I eventually became a Drew Doughty fan. I have many of his key RCs including the best one, The Cup 1/1 Black RC. I watched him dominate for Canada and win two Cups, the first two ever for LA, and at home. And I was there for both of them.

I can't imagine collecting someone like Brad Park, who may be even a better player than Doughty, because I have no connection to such a player. I think the only "vintage" card I have (70s and older) is a Larry Robinson RC, along with some commons someone gave me.

View attachment 910244 Got that in a break the other day. Do I chase the rest of the rainbow now?
Congrats! Who is it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad