Prospect Info: HFWild Prospect Ranking #10

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is Minnesota's #10 prospect?

• Aron Kiviharju

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ryan O'Rourke

• Michael Milne

• Aaron Pionk

• Jimmy Clark

• Sebastian Soini

• Other (please specify)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I think we've reached the area in our prospect pool where we're going to have something like a 20-30% success rate. I don't know which guys will pan out and which wont.

Ryan Healey with 22 points in 29 games in his sophomore season (2nd on team, 1st for D-men) inspires some hope. Not bad for someone who was pegged as a "defensive defenseman" on scouting reports. He's sort of undersized at 6'0"-6'1" (if Kiviharju is considered small), but has a right-hand shot. I've got him, Haight, Kumpulainen, and Bankier around the same level, but his offensive season jumps out in comparison to them so I'm picking him.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
For me, going with Haight over Bankier. Bankier is probably going to hit the NHL sooner than Haight, but I have to go with Haight due to potential. I even thought about Lorenz. But Bankier is a whole year older than Haight and had a decent season in the AHL last season.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think we've reached the area in our prospect pool where we're going to have something like a 20-30% success rate. I don't know which guys will pan out and which wont.

Ryan Healey with 22 points in 29 games in his sophomore season (2nd on team, 1st for D-men) inspires some hope. Not bad for someone who was pegged as a "defensive defenseman" on scouting reports. He's sort of undersized at 6'0"-6'1" (if Kiviharju is considered small), but has a right-hand shot. I've got him, Haight, Kumpulainen, and Bankier around the same level, but his offensive season jumps out in comparison to them so I'm picking him.
Weaker opponents, though. Apparently he is a vg skater, but so are Peart, Hunt, Lambos, Parker, among others.

@Digitalbooya add Kaleem Parker. He had a vg year on Moose Jaw's first pairing, as a two way partner of Mateychuk's. MJ got to the Memorial cup, so were the best team in the West. Caught a few of his games. He looked good both with, and w/o the puck. Is also a RHD, which is a need for us as Spurgeon and Bogo age.

IMO, he is a much better prospect than some of those listed above.

Last edited:
Reactions: Digitalbooya

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Weaker opponents, though. Apparently he is a vg skater, but so are Peart, Hunt, Lambos, Parker, among others.

@Digitalbooya add Kaleem Parker. He had a vg year on Moose Jaw's first pairing, as a two way partner of Mateychuk's. MJ got to the Memorial cup, so were the best team in the West. Caught a few of his games. He looked good both with, and w/o the puck. Is also a RHD, which is a need for us as Spurgeon and Bogo age.

IMO, he is a much better prospect than some of those listed above.
Weaker competition than Bankier for sure. But the other two? In any case, he may drop for me once he turns pro and weaknesses get exposed. That's what's happened with guys like Lambos. And if that happens, I'll adjust the ranking down. If the opposite happens I'll adjust it up.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Weaker competition than Bankier for sure. But the other two? In any case, he may drop for me once he turns pro and weaknesses get exposed. That's what's happened with guys like Lambos. And if that happens, I'll adjust the ranking down. If the opposite happens I'll adjust it up.
I meant that the Ivy league is a weaker conference than the Big East, B10, NCHC. Teams like Cornell, Princeton, Brown, and the like are not strong teams. Healey was 2nd on his team in scoring with 22 points, but I don't know how to measure that against Parker's 45 odd, while playing more of a supporting role on the 1st pairing of a Memorial Cup participant. They both have average size, excellent skating, though I'll grant you that Healey is probably the guy i'd hire for a quant job on Wall Street.

Reactions: BagHead

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Pretty good feeling that there are several guys still here that I feel positive about. I went Haight, I just see him as a guy who can contribute anywhere in the lineup in the not so distant future, he is smart, competitive, brings good skill, and I think eventually is a direct upgrade to Freddy Gaudreau’s role.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I like Bankier a little bit more than everyone on the list. I do think there is a tier that all are pretty close. I like Bankier's development last year and he's got a shot to be middle 6, moreso than Beckman did IMO. Not quite as good a shooter overall, nor does he shoot as much, but he's got an above average shot, and is better at puck protection, picking his spots, etc than Beckman was/is.

I like Haight - I've said many times he looked as impressive, if not moreso, than Heidt last year in camp. But it is concerning that the production hasn't scaled to his tools. My hope is that he will breakout playing with equally smart/talented guys, but he has to prove it.

Really like the growth in Lorenz this year, and Kumpulainen likely will have a role at some point as long as his first few steps improve. His puck protection and hands with that size will allow him to play.

Milne is a for-sure guy to make it, with underrated hockey sense, hands, etc. But his ceiling is easily the lowest of the above.

Of the D, I'd probably have to go with Spacek. Then I could see an argument for any D after that in any order, tbh.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I meant that the Ivy league is a weaker conference than the Big East, B10, NCHC. Teams like Cornell, Princeton, Brown, and the like are not strong teams. Healey was 2nd on his team in scoring with 22 points, but I don't know how to measure that against Parker's 45 odd, while playing more of a supporting role on the 1st pairing of a Memorial Cup participant. They both have average size, excellent skating, though I'll grant you that Healey is probably the guy i'd hire for a quant job on Wall Street.
I think direct comparison within a league is hard. Across league's and it's near impossible, and maybe meaningless. I like that Healey was the guy on the blueline for his team. Beyond that, I'm just waiting for stuff to play out. That's basically how I have to judge all of these guys at this point.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong

But I think the fact that we got like ten more of these prospects unitl #20 is nice. Many teams run out of prospects with viable NHL futures after 10. theres a good chance Kumpulainen is ranked 20 and hes still a rock solid 3rd line prospect who was a recent 2nd rounder.

Reactions: BagHead

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
But I think the fact that we got like ten more of these prospects unitl #20 is nice. Many teams run out of prospects with viable NHL futures after 10. theres a good chance Kumpulainen is ranked 20 and hes still a rock solid 3rd line prospect who was a recent 2nd rounder.
I like Kumpu a lot when i saw him play last year in the CHL and with Finland. I don't really see any holes in his game, except perhaps for a standout skill. Seems to play very smart. If he fills out his frame and gets strong then we might have something in him sorta of like what we thought Stramel was going to be. Kind of surprised that we have enough good prospects to bump him down so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad