HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects Ranking #2 (closed)

• Cutter Gauthier - C/W

• Anton Silayev - D

• Cayden Lindstrom - C/W

• Sam Dickinson - D

• Ryan Leonard - LW

• Alexander Nikishin - D

• Ivan Demidov - RW

• Brandt Clarke - D

• Will Smith - C

• Zeev Buium - D

• Matvei Michkov - RW

• Artyom Levshunov - D

• Beckett Sennecke - RW

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Ya he’ll def get super hyped now that he’s a hab, but prior to draft I didn’t think they got the same type of hype.

I could be off, but I felt like michkov was hyped as the best Russian prospect since ovie…. Didn’t feel that way about Demidov hype
possibly, but possibly because it had been so long since we saw that highly skilled Russian (since Ovie as you say).... if Demidov was 2023 and Michkov 2024 it probably wouldve just been reversed.

Whatever the case, I do believe both will be top talents int he league. Michkov more in an Ovie mold, Demidov a Panarin/Kucherov (obviously not saying theyll ever be as good, but definitely possible).

I do think Verbeek and Davidson made a big mistake just as Hughes did last year, but Anaheim already have enough talent up front anyway. If Sennecke becomes a very skilled 6'3 winger, he should compliment Carlsson or Gauthier very well. I wouldve taken Buium after having traded Dysdale, personally. But what do I know?

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Ya he’ll def get super hyped now that he’s a hab, but prior to draft I didn’t think they got the same type of hype.

I could be off, but I felt like michkov was hyped as the best Russian prospect since ovie…. Didn’t feel that way about Demidov hype

I don't think hype level should determine anything in these polls. It's a media driven thing and often disconnected from scouting.

If we're going on pre-draft hype then Shane Wright ought to be top 3.

Come to think of it, Wright at least should be added to the poll options. He's been developing well and just had a very good Calder Cup performance. @amnesiac

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
How the hell can you not consider him top 5? Hes was the consensus best talent after Celebrini in this draft, dominated the MHL the same way Michkov, Panarin, and Kaprizov did at age 17/18.

Did you not consider Michkov top 5 last season?

Take a few minutes to look at his highlights and come back.
Because the other guys dominated other leagues too. Michkov and Nikishin put up numbers in the KHL (obviously a superior league), Smith lead NCAA in points, and Gauthier lead in goals. They were the top prospects left over from last years rankings and all had dominant years.

You can look at the highlights of any top-5/10 pick and they look amazing. Just because Demidov is flashy doesn't mean he's the next coming of Christ.

Was he a consensus next best talent? Alot of rankings had him 3-5 as well, and heck he even went 5th overall.

Either way, he's a great prospect and will go 3rd overall in this poll (due to being flashy and drafted by the habs) but I think the top-5 prospects in the NHL are obvious.

Demidov is just a superior version of Smith. There's no way he should go ahead. And lol.on Gauthier.
What does this mean? Smith played center in college, and Demidov is a MHL winger? What's comparable...that they're hockey players? Gauthier has been seen as one of the better prospects outside of the NHL all year...again what makes Demidov so much better it's an "lol"

Reactions: Superlative Soup

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

Michkov was more hyped because people saw him play and dominate in international tournaments. Demidov didn't get that chance.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Last year they had people quitting the polls because Hutson didn’t go high enough
Too bad they didn’t keep their word and actually quit.

If Demidov was such a good prospect that he is better than Michkov and Smith, then he wouldn’t have gone 5th overall this year. Habs fans claiming “he was in contention for 1st overall with Celebrini” are literally crazy.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

If Demidov was such a good prospect that he is better than Michkov and Smith, then he wouldn’t have gone 5th overall this year. Habs fans claiming “he was in contention for 1st overall with Celebrini” are literally crazy.
To be fair michkov went 7th

I don’t think anyone #1 this year thought anyone other than celebrini…. But now Demidov has the Montreal multiplier

Reactions: majormajor

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The votes as I write this are 22-6 for Michkov over Demidov. That's fine if that's the way people see it.

But I've encountered this idea frequently on HF that the whole hockey community and scouting community thinks Michkov is much better than Demidov. And that the only reason he tumbled in the draft was because of his KHL contract.

Pronman, who leans Michkov, just wrote a whole article on the Michkov vs Demidov debate and polled scouts on it. They were about evenly split.

Again nothing wrong if you personally prefer Michkov to Demidov. I'm just comparing the balance of HF opinion to what many NHL scouts are saying.

OP has kindly linked previous rankings, so we're all going into this with the understanding that HF (collective) opinions on prospects is... imperfect.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
To be fair michkov went 7th
Michkov had a lot of off-ice questions about him and was 5’10”. There are a lot of reasons that Michkov fell unrelated to his quality as a prospect.

Demidov is 6’0.5”, speaks English, was adamant that he would come to NA after this season, and does have the supposed character concerns that Michkov had or the ‘drama’ around the death of his father.

Reactions: majormajor

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Michkov had a lot of off-ice questions about him and was 5’10”. There are a lot of reasons that Michkov fell unrelated to his quality as a prospect.

Demidov is 6’0.5”, speaks English, was adamant that he would come to NA after this season, and does have the supposed character concerns that Michkov had or the ‘drama’ around the death of his father.
Ya I do wonder if he’s good as Montreal fans want me to believe why columbus/Chicago didn’t go for him.

It coulda been ovie and Anaheim prob passes, we just don’t draft Russians in Russia…. We only recently started taking them with late picks

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Ya I do wonder if he’s good as Montreal fans want me to believe why columbus/Chicago didn’t go for him.

It coulda been ovie and Anaheim prob passes, we just don’t draft Russians in Russia…. We only recently started taking them with late picks

There are plenty of well respected prospect analysts that have said he was the second best talent in the draft and he has elite, game breaking offensive talent.

You don't have to pretend it's just Montreal fans that think he's good.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
There are plenty of well respected prospect analysts that have said he was the second best talent in the draft and he has elite, game breaking offensive talent.

You don't have to pretend it's just Montreal fans that think he's good.
I didn’t say he wasn’t good lol

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I didn't say you did.

Then what is the issue…. I think it was a valid point by jux

And 0 games have been played since draft, can we put him ahead of guys like levshunov/lindstrom(I’ll say yes to sennecke because of ducks history of non Russian picks).

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

People can complain, but arguing that "he wouldn't have gone 5th overall this year" in comparison to the 4th OA pick and 7th OA pick in a different draft year (and who were ranked 9th and 3rd respectively on this ranking last year), doesn't mean anything.

Also, last year Fantilli was voted ahead of Carlsson and Michkov was voted ahead of Carlsson, Smith, Reinbacher and Simashev. Drafting is imperfect and most HF Board opinions are based on hype and rankings from online publications.

This is an unserious exercise that should hopefully keep all of us a little humble.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Then what is the issue…. I think it was a valid point by jux

And 0 games have been played since draft, can we put him ahead of guys like levshunov/lindstrom(I’ll say yes to sennecke because of ducks history of non Russian picks).

The point of my post was obvious.

You are repeatedly and obsessively bringing Montreal fans into the discussion, when it's clear that even outside of Montreal Demidov is a highly regarded prospect.

You claim to be unsure of whether or not to trust all the Habs fans posting about him, so I provided examples of external sources that value him highly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad