GDT: HFBoards GDT | 1/7/19

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Rifle

Pittsburgh Penguins
Apr 7, 2018
Hampton, VA
A simple proposition... make the coach challenge the offside call before a goal is scored. It could be a hand signal, anything to make sure the challenge occurs before a goal. If no goal no foul, but if a goal is scored then the play is reviewed and penalties are issued for good goals.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
There should be a time threshold between the missed offside call and the goal which negates an overturn
Why? If you entered the zone illegally it shouldn't be voided just because you managed to keep zone time for x seconds after breaking the rules in the first place to even get in there.

Reactions: Powinkle

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Not as stupid as your comparable :laugh:

Where do you draw the line?

You don't, it's a black and white call, keep it simple, or don't have reviewable calls... Which in this day and age, is stupid.
The comparison was fine. Speeding is black and white. You're either doing it or you're not. Doesn't mean any punishment stemming from the objective violation is equitable.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Why? If you entered the zone illegally it shouldn't be voided just because you managed to keep zone time for x seconds after breaking the rules in the first place to even get in there.
Make high-sticking calls (and non-calls) reviewable. Make playing the puck outside of the trapezoid reviewable. Make puck over the glass reviewable. Make hooking reviewable. Make tripping reviewable.

blahblahblah

It's stupid.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
A simple proposition... make the coach challenge the offside call before a goal is scored. It could be a hand signal, anything to make sure the challenge occurs before a goal. If no goal no foul, but if a goal is scored then the play is reviewed and penalties are issued for good goals.
I like this idea. Give like a 10 second grace period after the zone entry for the coach to give a signal.
Gives enough time for the video staff to replay once, maybe twice. if the play is so close that a video staff member can't decide after 10 seconds, there's no way you can get mad at a linesman for getting it wrong in the first place.

Charge a penalty if a challenge is incorrect.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

The entire point of the offside rule is to prevent cherry picking/a team gaining a clear advantage from being in early. A couple inches one way or another fundamentally doesn't grant that advantage and thus it shouldn't be something worthy or video review.

The comparison was fine. Speeding is black and white. You're either doing it or you're not. Doesn't mean any punishment stemming from the objective violation is equitable.

Even if someone objects to the punishment chosen, you can guarantee people would be going nuts at a cop if he gave them a $20 speeding ticket for 56 in a 55.

Reactions: Mez

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Preds have been screwed bad on both sides of that rule, effectively getting knocked out of the playoff race on the infamous Duchene offside then losing a vital goal in the SCF with Arvy's skate in the air. Infuriating when you lose out on it, but the rule is black and white and I'd prefer that to making it a judgment call on the part of the refs.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Just get rid of it already. Adds absolutely nothing to the game. You accept all sorts of subjectivity and human error into many of the other calls in a hockey game, why not let the linesman do their job. They should also soften the language of offside but that's another discussion.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
It has always been weird to me that the blue line is part of the offensive zone when you are inside the zone....but when you are trying to get into the zone it isn't part of the zone. Just a weird thing that has never made sense to me.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The entire point of the offside rule is to prevent cherry picking/a team gaining a clear advantage from being in early. A couple inches one way or another fundamentally doesn't grant that advantage and thus it shouldn't be something worthy or video review.
I completely agree. Absolutely hate offside reviews. I was replying to the nonsense suggestion that if you keep the puck in the zone for a specific period of time that the offside should be voided.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017

Even if someone objects to the punishment chosen, you can guarantee people would be going nuts at a cop if he gave them a $20 speeding ticket for 56 in a 55.
Fully agree. If its only a few inches it doesnt matter.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
I completely agree. Absolutely hate offside reviews. I was replying to the nonsense suggestion that if you keep the puck in the zone for a specific period of time that the offside should be voided.
Statute of limitations

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
it was, because if they pulled over everybody that went a mile over the speed limit that would literally be everyone.

Offsides with goals scored are few and far between. I hate the call, but it is what it is. Instead of adding different variables to it, it'd be better to ditch it -- but when you have high definition cameras that can be played on an iPad at ice level I don't see why you would.

How pissed would you be if your team lost the Stanley Cup game on a goal that was scored on an offside? Im glad they get it right, and it's one of the few rules that actually make sense to review.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad