Hey, Chris Nilan - Thanks!

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
You probably have some great stories you'll never share on this board!

Hopefully, the upside of waiting longer to pass through those milestones is acquiring the wisdom to do them properly.

Well, I had a fun single life, if that's what you mean. It used to be said that my apartment on Van Horne in Montreal as a PhD student was described as "the better mousetrap", as I had a taste for antiques, was a decent salsa dancer (which is how I met my wife), was a pretty good cook (growing up helping out in the kitchen, an experience rounded out at Académie Culinaire de Montréal)... anyhow you get the picture. Shameless serial dater. One of my former older, cynical colleagues at work used to say: "why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?" But I am glad I stopped taking his advice, and I'm very happy with married life as well, both as husband and father.

If you mean my experiences working abroad, definitely it's been a great experience. I've had flight simulation experience in Amsterdam, Singapore, Taipei; automation experience in Kobe as well as the US; did post-docs in medical simulation and surgery planning in Tsukuba, Japan and Leipzig, Germany, before settling in the US probably for good. I am an advocate of taking calculated risks over the course of one's career. Especially graduate school. Whatever it is that excites you.

That said, I've never met Chris Nilan, and I wish that I had. I've had nice chats with a few players, Doug Jarvis on a plane, Guy Lapointe while waiting for our espressos in St-Paul, MN; I sold ice-cream as a university student to Guy Lafleur, who lived in my neighborhood in Beaconsfield. I'm still a hockey groupie, even at 51 :).

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Great story Lshap.

Its usually the tough guys on the ice who are the nicest and friendliest guys off the ice.

Thanks for sharing that. Your wife is definitely lucky but I think that you are even luckier for being married to her.;)

except for simon, guy is still unrepentantly bat**** crazy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad