News Article: Hemsky gone?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
Hemsky gone
Michelak gone
Spezza gone
Kassian gone

Philips 2 more years
Greening raise couple more years
Neil still here
Condra still here

This franchise is a mess and broke

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Who says anything about throwing money around? Signing Alfie, MacArthur and Gonchar while also trading for Ryan is not throwing money around. Thats keeping assets and acquiring fair priced assets.

We had the chance to be middle of the pack spending team, a team management thought was a contender, without throwing money around.

We're not spending because we dont have players to spend it on. We're not spending because we dont have money.

Funny though, if you go back to the start of the season, most of us thought we'd make the playoffs with our lineup, and that was without Hemsky.

Management thought the same I'm sure, and felt no need to spend more just for the sake of it. Alfie was a mistake, that's clear as day, but other than that, it's hard to see at that time what else needed to be done to ensure a playoff spot.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
He should have been spending money last year after making the playoffs.

Core was more than good enough to spend at least some decent money.

If he didn't do it last year, then why would he do it in the future?

Either way, we'll find out soon enough what his plans our in terms of cap

Totally agree with this.

I really don't get why some people are so willing to believe that the wallet will magically open if the young players blossom.

There's no evidence to suggest Melnyk (in his current financial state) is going to spend.

I really hope he does but I don't get how people don't want to accept that certain players are leaving or want out until we have "definitive proof" yet take on faith the budget will automatically increase as the young players improve.

The Fuhr*

Management thought the same I'm sure, and felt no need to spend more just for the sake of it. Alfie was a mistake, that's clear as day, but other than that, it's hard to see at that time what else needed to be done to ensure a playoff spot.

I complained about the defense all summer... Looks at stats

It was obvious to anyone this teams defense would be a disaster

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Hemsky gone
Michelak gone
Spezza gone
Kassian gone

Philips 2 more years
Greening raise couple more years
Neil still here
Condra still here

This franchise is a mess and broke

Kassian gone worries you?

If the franchise was so broke, it would have kept him and liquidated Greening and Neil before trade deadline.

No, we have an owner who is trying to spend wisely. doesn't mean I agree with his view on the team but, he ain't broke and we have plenty of excellent pieces in place still.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
we gave up a 3rd and 5th for nothing? that just wasting assets.

No, we gave up a 3rd and a 5th round pick, so that we Edmonton would pick up money for a player to help us make the playoffs and let Melnyk pocket a couple of million bucks.

It was a lottery ticket.

Those were also non-prime assets. Twenty fun games with Hemsky is worth the rights to two players that will likely amount to nothing.

The Fuhr*

Totally agree with this.

I really don't get why some people are so willing to believe that the wallet will magically open if the young players blossom.

There's no evidence to suggest Melnyk (in his current financial state) is going to spend.

I really hope he does but I don't get how people don't want to accept that certain players are leaving or want out until we have "definitive proof" yet take on faith the budget will automatically increase as the young players improve.

Totally... If the budget is not opening now to entice a Ryan, Spezza, Mcarthur, Methot and Anderson to stay a year from now... It will never be the right time

The Fuhr*

Those were also non-prime assets. Twenty fun games with Hemsky is worth the rights to two players that will likely amount to nothing.

It's funny because drafting is the only thing BM does well and people are happy to give picks away... Look where guys like Stone and Pageu were drafted

RadimBicanek

Mar 5, 2014
Canada
Hemsky had good chemistry with Spezza, would be disappointing to see him go. Michalek may still be fast skater, but didn't appear to have net crashing ability like before injuries.

Oct 10, 2010
Kassian gone worries you?

If the franchise was so broke, it would have kept him and liquidated Greening and Neil before trade deadline.

No, we have an owner who is trying to spend wisely. doesn't mean I agree with his view on the team but, he ain't broke and we have plenty of excellent pieces in place still.

Spend wisely? He really isn't spending at all.
I agree we have plenty of excellent pieces, it's time to stating adding to those pieces instead of being ranked bottom of the NHL payroll wise.

Why can't we develop and manage a much higher payroll at the same time.

It doesn't need to be this philosophy of spending as little possible and hoping to sneak into the playoffs where ' anything could happen'

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
If they trade Spezza, let Hemsky walk and bring back Michalek I'll probably skip the first half of the season and see if they're any good. No ****ing way am I going to invest my time and energy into this team if they're not going to even try to be competitive.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Spend wisely? He really isn't spending at all.
I agree we have plenty of excellent pieces, it's time to stating adding to those pieces instead of being ranked bottom of the NHL payroll wise.

Why can't we develop and manage a much higher payroll at the same time.

It doesn't need to be this philosophy of spending as little possible and hoping to sneak into the playoffs where ' anything could happen'

I didn't say I agreed with his approach either, as I also think he should spend a bit more, but there is a difference between saying that and that he's just plain broke.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
It's funny because drafting is the only thing BM does well and people are happy to give picks away... Look where guys like Stone and Pageu were drafted

I've been through too many drafts to get excited about mid to late picks. Stone looks like a keeper and Pageau has a chance. I still chalk that up as much to luck as anything else.

The prospects of most mid-picks fade the further you move from the draft year. Not that I would give them away for free but they are not the precious commodity that first rounders (and to a lesser extent, second rounders) are.

The team had a miserable season. It was close enough to make the playoffs with a decent run. Giving up the picks for a better chance at the playoffs and making Melynk was worth the risk. I won't fault the organization for that move at all.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
If they trade Spezza, let Hemsky walk and bring back Michalek I'll probably skip the first half of the season and see if they're any good. No ****ing way am I going to invest my time and energy into this team if they're not going to even try to be competitive.

Reading this and many other posts feels like someone came out and said we're getting rid of Spezza and not resigning Hemsky and won't find any sort of replacement for them. It's quite remarkable.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

Spend wisely by giving a 3rd pairing d-man 5 million over 2 years...one that basically had no leverage in the negotiation. That nice Greening contract that hasn't kicked in yet too, can't wait.

esdoorn

Nov 14, 2006
70 40
Hemsky had good chemistry with Spezza, would be disappointing to see him go. Michalek may still be fast skater, but didn't appear to have net crashing ability like before injuries.

Michalek had no speed whatsoever this year.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Spend wisely by giving a 3rd pairing d-man 5 million over 2 years...one that basically had no leverage in the negotiation. That nice Greening contract that hasn't kicked in yet too, can't wait.

Again, I'm not in agreement with those contracts but obviously Melnyk and Murray felt otherwise. What I'm saying is he is trying to spend wisely, whether you agree with it or not, and it clearly shows he's not broke. Myopic, maybe, but not broke.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
- Boston signed Zdeno Chara and Marc Savard while rebuilding

- Pittsburgh added Sergei Gonchar

- Chicago added Brian Campbell and Marian Hossa to their young core.

- LA added Mike Richards and Jeff Carter

Huge money pieces added

You criticize Murray for acquiring Ryan while rebuilding, but other teams that do exactly the same thing you praise.

Your posts just get better and better.

The Fuhr*

You criticize Murray for acquiring Ryan while rebuilding, but other teams that do exactly the same thing you praise.

Your posts just get better and better.

If Ryan is extended I will admit I was wrong... If he walks or is traded for more revolving door players, then picking up Ryan was pointless

Dick Whitman

Feb 15, 2008
Ottawa
Let's wait and see happens before we start calling people out for being too cheap or for poor management skills. We're definitely not spending to the cap this upcoming season but we need top 6 forwards. I'd have to think though, that if things don't get better sooner rather than later, Karlsson is going to want out.

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
Michalek had no speed whatsoever this year.

Shirley you jest? Michalek won the fastest skater competition on the team.
He is always buzzing around. Too bad that he has tended to shy away from
the moves he used to make going to the net, probably due to worries about
his knees.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Shirley you jest? Michalek won the fastest skater competition on the team.
He is always buzzing around. Too bad that he has tended to shy away from
the moves he used to make going to the net, probably due to worries about
his knees.

If that competition had been in November he would have finished way back! He got healthier and faster as the year went on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad