Heiskanen vs Pettersson: Better franchise building block

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Heiskanen vs Petterson: Better franchise building block

• Total voters

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
That 2017 draft is a weird one, it was touted as the Nico / Nolan draft but the other 3 players picked in the top 5 have emerged as franchise corner stones and probably is the best big 3 aside from the McDavid and Mackinnon drafts in the last decade.

Pettersson is going to be a top 5 forward in the sport while Makar and Heiskanen will be top 5 defenders.

All 3 teams should be ecstatic for who they have. Vancouver and Colorado thought they were unlucky as the worst and second worst team in the league but ended up with two franchise changing players in Makar and Pettersson.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Pettersson with no thought needed. Rare player that comes along only so often.

Where are you basing this on exactly?

Petterson isn’t even close to being one of the best forwards in the game so vision or what? And why would it make it easy to pick over Heiskanen?

Reactions: tricky

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014

Petterson isn’t even close to being one of the best forwards in the game so vision or what? And why would it make it easy to pick over Heiskanen?
„No thought“ wasn‘t hint enough?

Reactions: tricky

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver

Pettersson is an advanced stats monster, which of course doesn't carry certainty on its own, but it correlates well with how he plays the game. He's steadily developing into one of the highest IQ players in the entire league, and is the #1 play driver for the Canucks. His elite vision and reading of the play when combined with his compete level, which allows him to battle way above his weight class, translate to being absurdly strong on both sides of the puck. He's drawing a lot of comparables to Datsyuk in that regard, beyond just their shifty skill that drew their initial comparison in his rookie season.

Including the playoffs, he's already PPG in his second season in the league as a 21 year old, rapidly adjusting to becoming the #1 target of opposing teams shutdown efforts. He's tied with Nathan MacKinnon for the lead in playoff scoring, with MacKinnon himself having a notably dominant postseason himself that are making some question whether he's the 1B to McDavid's 1A (or better, perhaps, if you take into account his dominant high-impact play in the playoffs). And Pettersson racked up these numbers chiefly against a strong, physical, defending champ in St. Louis that took every opportunity to match him with ROR, arguably one of the best top-line matching centers in the league, and otherwise sought to impose their physicality on him to wear him down.

It didn't work.

Against such stiff competition and stifling attention from some of the premier playoff talent in the NHL with a grinding bully style that turned teams to dust last year, Pettersson elevated and had 4 multi-point outings in the past 5 games. Even when you take the Canucks hilariously hot powerplay out of the equation, with him on the ice, the Canucks outscored the blues 8-3 5v5.

He's playing a style that you could almost call "optimal", or at least as close as a hockey player could get analytically, where he's maximizing high% plays nearly all the time and minimizing chances against while maximizing chances for. His RAPM, GAR, and WAR are off the charts, usually up in the top 3-5 in the entire NHL. It's sort of silly to call a PPG 21 year old 1C "underrated" but Pettersson makes a good of a case as any for being just that. It cannot be understated just how disproportionate his impact is on the Canucks vs anyone else not in net, including Hughes.

Last edited:

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Looking from my team's point of view (Minnesota) the extremely easy answer is Pettersson.

Looking from a brand new team's point of view, I'd still go with Pettersson, though not with a landslide. I just think 1C's are more influential and important. It's a personal preference, so take it with a grain of salt.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I'll take Pettersson but it's close.

I think we'll see how appreciated these two guys really are when both are about to hit Restricted Free Agency after next season and both need an extension. My guess is Pettersson's number will be slightly higher than Heiskanen's.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Canucks fan here.
Choose Pettersson, i legit think he's the right choice.
However, Heiskanen is a beast. Every time i watch Dallas i'm surprised how much he drives play from the back-end.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
This is a close one and I think Pettersson is ahead plus a homer but I think most fans would pick the player their team needs more so for Van we don't need another 20 year old LHD because we already have Hughes

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
They’re actually the same. One did it against Calgary the other did it against the cup champs.....

Could've just said they both did it to teams with bad goaltending. That STL team Vancouver just beat is far from the team that won the Cup last season. So far from that

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
Could've just said they both did it to teams with bad goaltending. That STL team Vancouver just beat is far from the team that won the Cup last season. So far from that

You wouldn't have cared if you played the Blues instead of the Flames?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

BB06

Jun 1, 2020

“FAR” Sure. Doesn’t make a difference considering they’re still on a whole different level than the flames.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
This is one of those polls where you don't really have to worry about making the "wrong" choice. Whoever you go with, you're getting a superstar for the next decade. That said, gun to my head, I'll go with Pettersson. This might be a bold prediction but I see him becoming the #3 behind McDavid and MacKinnon.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Yeah you're right Binnington was just as good as his Cup run

Blues goaltending was trash. Flames goaltending was trash. Not hard to understand what I'm saying here.

Even if you minus the goaltending the blues are still the far superior team

Reactions: Tony Stacks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad