GDT: Hawks vs Wings at 7PM CDT on Wednesday- 1st Preseason Game - On....Blackhawks.com?!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
We'll see how Brodie and Martinez work out but I see your point. Both of the veteran dmen looked mediocre last night but it's only one exhibition game.
It’s more looking at last year. Martinez was playing #6 minutes which is where he should be. And Brodie was so bad on the leafs that he got benched, a team not exactly known for defensive depth.

I don’t put much stock into last night’s game, I just don’t have high expectations for them.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Brodie is going to be the whipping boy there is no doubt. Nazar showed the speed and skill just played a bad game. Might be good for him to play in the AHL a bit. Craig Smith played great.

Spellacy is an NHLer for sure. He looks like he can come play 4th line right now. Hopefully he can work on his skills and be a huge part of this team in the future.

I thought Korchinski looked different. Looked more composed. Didnt see a ton of offensive flash still but looks more of the part.

Bedard struggled. Its Halls first game back but hes not anything more then a 3rd liner right now.

Bertuzzi and Teravainen were must adds. Thank the lord.

MHO

Sep 27, 2023
Can’t agree with that. It’s a bad precedent to send someone down even if they’re playing better. Then what’s the point of preseason? Just set the roster and play the games as a full team.

Also, the coaching staff will eventually figure out that Martinez and Brodie aren’t great and cut their minutes, so Korch will get plenty of playing time should he stick.

The only thing is the power play which he could run in Rockford. Management is dead set on tanking it with Jones, and that likely won’t change.
I see that the Blackhawks are in a situation where they have to balance short and long term goals given that they're probably not making the playoffs no matter what they do. If they want to evaluate giving minutes to Joey Anderson vs Pat Maroon, then yeah use the preseason to determine who is playing better.

Why do you think they called up Phillips and Crevier and signed guys off the street like Megna last year when they could have given EDM or Allan a chance? I think those 2 guys would have been more effective players for the Hawks on the blue line last year than many of the scrubs they threw out there. But for their development, they felt it was better to keep them down in Rockford.

The preseason can be for established players to get into a rhythm again and yes, for teams figure out who is better between a few players competing for limited roster spots but in this unique case, I don't see how Korchinski gets a roster spot. Now if he's killing it in the AHL after a month or 2 and someone gets hurt or their game goes to hell, yeah then I'd love to see Korchinski back up and what he does.

GIADF

Aug 17, 2024
I thought Martinez looked solid but maybe I’m just used to another left handed number 25 dman handling the puck like a live grenade

For the 10 seconds I was able to watch I had the same PTSD moment with the number 25 and had to do a double take haha.

Crow

May 19, 2014
I couldn’t get the stream to work at all. Very disappointing. Tried multiple browsers and was repeatedly denied access for not being in the area. I wasn’t using a vpn or anything and I was in rosemont so I don’t get it.

GIADF

Aug 17, 2024
I couldn’t get the stream to work at all. Very disappointing. Tried multiple browsers and was repeatedly denied access for not being in the area. I wasn’t using a vpn or anything and I was in rosemont so I don’t get it.

I'm going to watch every game on the road feed this year on ESPN+ out of spite. So ridiculous.

Yes, I realize that probably has zero impact on the Blackhawks viewership numbers but it will make my petty self feel better about the situation.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm going to watch every game on the road feed this year on ESPN+ out of spite. So ridiculous.

Yes, I realize that probably has zero impact on the Blackhawks viewership numbers but it will make my petty self feel better about the situation.
I'll either pirate games, or watch on ESPN+ with a VPN. Because you know these greedy f***s will blackout the games on ESPN+.

Or, the alternative. I just don't watch at all.

Reactions: MarotteMarauder

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Well yes, but the only other choice was back to Junior otherwise I'm pretty sure he would have spent most of the season in RFD. That said, he did look pretty good in the first pre-season game of the year. I wish I could say that about more of the guys. Hopefully they'll look a bit sharper on Friday.
But that is my point, people make it out that if he was eligible he would have been assigned to Rockford out of the gate. I disagree. I thought he was excellent in training camp last year and earned a spot on the big club. His play dipped later in the season after his time off with his dad passing, and I agree he likely would have been assigned to Rockford at some point last year if it were an option, but I think what is glossed over is that he won his spot with a great camp. I wouldn't be surprised if he does the same thing this year, except now we have the option to assign him to Rockford through the season if needed.

No. Not even close.
Agree to disagree. I think Korchinski was head and shoulders above Kaiser in camp and early season last year. You could make the case that Kaiser was even or maybe even a little better after his late season call up. But on the whole, I don't think it is an unreasonable statement to say Korchinski was significantly better last year on the whole.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
The only thing is the power play which he could run in Rockford. Management is dead set on tanking it with Jones, and that likely won’t change.

Yup. Literally the only bad thing about Korch going down is it'll relegate Levshunov to PP2 instead of PP1. Although that also is not a bad thing to have the kid work up to it at least until Korchinski goes back up.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I would say that even if Korchinski outplays Kaiser in the preseason, Kaiser still gets the spot because it's probably better for the org overall to let Korchinski develop in Rockford for some time and get top pairing minutes there. It's not like they're going to contend for the cup anyway and Korchinski over Kaiser or Kaiser over Korchinski won't make a huge difference in how good the team does this year.
Absolutely not. There's a huge pay gap between a rookie AHL guy and a guy who earned a spot. You pay the guy who earned the spot. You don't make business decisions because it makes sense for the organization. You pay people on merit. Treat your guys right and they might treat you right.

MHO

Sep 27, 2023
Absolutely not. There's a huge pay gap between a rookie AHL guy and a guy who earned a spot. You pay the guy who earned the spot. You don't make business decisions because it makes sense for the organization. You pay people on merit. Treat your guys right and they might treat you right.
I think you're conflating treating him right in the short term and long term. Countless players have gone on record claiming that a year or 2 in the minors was incredibly beneficial to them in their career. We'll never know but would Vlasic have just gotten the contract he did if he didn't play in Rockford for a season?

Are the Blackhawks a better team with Korchinski over Kaiser? Maybe but I don't think the gap is all that big right now. If a year in minors would increase the odds of Korchinski becoming a solid top pairing Dman for the next decade, I'll do it even if it makes my team, who will likely finish out of the playoffs anyway, a little worse.

And then Korchinski is happy because he gets a larger second contract than he would have had he taken his lumps in the NHL and not properly developed.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Ice Hogs PP Units

#1 Seney Nazar Dach /Levshunov Korchinski / #2 Anderson Guttman Hayes / Del Mastro Allan/Ludwinski

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
The hawks are going to be bad lol. Regardless of what the preseason looks like.

This is still a bad roster.

So I’m not sure the Bears are a great comp.

If the Hawks are going to be bad/are bad with a bad roster….which I agree they are….then how are the Bears not a legit comp?

ello

Jun 12, 2018
This is a bold take but I genuinely think Kantserov is our forward prospect with truest top 6 fwd upside (albeit the potential of reaching that level will be lower given his size/speed).

Obviously players can surprise and I can see some of the other guys playing complimentary top 6 roles but I just dont rlly see that sort of high end NHL skill with any of our other guys.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
But that is my point, people make it out that if he was eligible he would have been assigned to Rockford out of the gate. I disagree. I thought he was excellent in training camp last year and earned a spot on the big club. His play dipped later in the season after his time off with his dad passing, and I agree he likely would have been assigned to Rockford at some point last year if it were an option, but I think what is glossed over is that he won his spot with a great camp. I wouldn't be surprised if he does the same thing this year, except now we have the option to assign him to Rockford through the season if needed.

Agree to disagree. I think Korchinski was head and shoulders above Kaiser in camp and early season last year. You could make the case that Kaiser was even or maybe even a little better after his late season call up. But on the whole, I don't think it is an unreasonable statement to say Korchinski was significantly better last year on the whole.
For me the bottom line is Korchinski should not be rushed into the NHL, especially if he doesn't play on the PP and/or play 20 minutes a night. Sure, give him another stint in the NHL to prove he deserves the extra ice and PP time but it is up to the HC.

Problem being of course, Luke has not played him on the PP and it doesn't look like that will happen any time soon until he is convinced that KK can defend. Some may disagree with that philosophy but it is likely best for the player in the long haul. The AHL would not be the worst thing for him, IMO.

Reactions: dj Mahoney

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
See after one preseason game some in here have formed concrete opinions on some who suck and others who don’t belong in the NHL. Nothing changed in here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad