Value of: Have the Rangers' components increased their value enough to trigger a trade?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
11 games into the season and many of the Rangers' players are performing at a much higher level than other fans/teams may have anticipated.

• J.T. Miller is leading the highest scoring team in the NHL in points.
  • Brady Skjei is playing like the slick skating puck moving defenseman we all want him to be (and leading the team in hits)
  • Hayes has turned the third line into a balanced threat and is second on the team in points.
  • Nash has 6g and 3a in 11 games and looks like he is adapting his game

Does this make a trade for a top pairing RHD easier for other teams to palate?

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I doubt that a very small stretch of games makes it easier to get a top pairing Dman.

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
i think it is the exact opposite in all honesty... in the offseason i was not thrilled with the idea of Miller+Skjei for Trouba because ive always loved millers hard nosed game and after scoring 20 last year i thought it was a risky move, but to land Trouba it would be worth it. Now I cant imagine trading a player like Miller who brings playoff intensity day in and day out and Brady Skjei who is cost controlled and effective for someone who is going to want a major pay raise.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
i think it is the exact opposite in all honesty... in the offseason i was not thrilled with the idea of Miller+Skjei for Trouba because ive always loved millers hard nosed game and after scoring 20 last year i thought it was a risky move, but to land Trouba it would be worth it. Now I cant imagine trading a player like Miller who brings playoff intensity day in and day out and Brady Skjei who is cost controlled and effective for someone who is going to want a major pay raise.

This. It's incredibly risky to trade a guy like Miller rn, because his value isn't currently what it might end up being.

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
We need a top RH PP defenseman but at what cost , i believe Miller and Skei is an overpayment for Trouba .Rangers should wait it out and see if we can sign Shatts next year without losing anyone .

Blueshirts08

Jun 26, 2015
It boosts their trade value, sure, but so much they are becoming somewhat untouchable .. only one out of those you mentioned might be traded because of cap hit, Nash, and I doubt rangers trade him because he has been very good in all 3 zones. Probably more likely next year .

Makes me think they may only look to acquire cheap alternative depth on back end , only giving up middle pick in next draft

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Alain Vigneault boosts pretty much any offensive players trade value.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
This is a very tough thing to gauge. Is JT Miller finally reaching his ceiling of being the gritty, two way, 60 point player we hoped he would become? Or will he will come back down to earth and remain a 20 goal 45 point guy? Either way, he is an amazing player to have on our roster. When you draft a player, you have your reasonable expectations and then you have your high hopes. He met expectations last season. He is reaching his ceiling this year.

I will say this. I think the chemistry among the Rangers as a group is something I haven't seen since the Jagr/Nylander/Straka days. I wouldn't be shocked if as a group we continue to score at a great pace.

I think when you remove one of those pieces from our organization, they go back to being what they were instead of continuing on the path of reaching their ceiling.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Two ways of looking at it. Some of those younger players are developing even more, so it would make sense for a team in need of youth to keep them. Nash rebounding could make things a little interesting for a trade. The other side is, these starts could definitely be viewed as just a simple hot streak with no change to their value.

Rangers shouldn't do anything too drastic, get the typical rental defenseman if needed at the trade deadline. Wideman would be a solid rental target, and then Shattenkirk depending if the Blues continue to play like poop on a stick.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Depends what you mean by a "top pairing RHD". Legit top pair guys don't get moved for anything less than elite forwards or other legit top pair guys. There's an argument to be made for potential top pairing RHD's though.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
I doubt that a very small stretch of games makes it easier to get a top pairing Dman.

Yup, which is one of the reasons why the Rangers shouldn't make a move now. The other, more important one, is don't disrupt a good team on a roll! Zero reason the Rangers should be making a move atm and every reason not to.

At the end of the season, after a deep run into the playoffs, during an off season that will be one of the busiest ever, the Rangers can cash in guys like Staal & Nash who were previously, incorrectly, associated with canine excrement.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Consider Hayes untradeable......

Nash has done well...check back around the mid point of the season.

Over a 10 game stretch any player in the league could put up a ppg streak.

With nash at the deadline its likely the rangers have to retain all his remain salary making him free to the new team this year

Doriva

May 6, 2015
Middlesbrough, UK

With nash at the deadline its likely the rangers have to retain all his remain salary making him free to the new team this year

Why would we trade Nash when we look on course to at least be around the playoffs...

I understand the sentiment of selling high, but in my opinion I feel like we've made enough positive changes over the summer to repair the future enough to just let the present roll out and see how it goes.
Granted we jump on any chance to move Girardi and his NMC but other than that why force a change ? For all we know if Gorts threw away a bunch of assets for a Trouba type player he'd still split time with Nick fn Holden because AV is AV.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
We need a top RH PP defenseman but at what cost , i believe Miller and Skei is an overpayment for Trouba .Rangers should wait it out and see if we can sign Shatts next year without losing anyone .

You might actually need to lose someone to make the cap work.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
11 games into the season and many of the Rangers' players are performing at a much higher level than other fans/teams may have anticipated.

• Brady Skjei is playing like the slick skating puck moving defenseman we all want him to be (and leading the team in hits)
  • Hayes has turned the third line into a balanced threat and is second on the team in points.

Theyre not trading any of them, so point is moot.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Trade value isn't worth more than on-ice results. When everything is going well, you don't start shipping off the people responsible for that success.

NateB19

Feb 25, 2016

lmao, you always downplay the Rangers

OrangeMan

Aug 23, 2005
It's the first week of November, hardly time for any team to get all hyped by limited success or panicked by early failure.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

No, cause we are keeping all of young core
we have a couple of guys on the right side of 30, Stepan, Zuc and possibly McDonagh are now easier to move, but not those in the OP

this^
honesty is the best policy

This is a very tough thing to gauge. Is JT Miller finally reaching his ceiling of being the gritty, two way, 60 point player we hoped he would become? Or will he will come back down to earth and remain a 20 goal 45 point guy? Either way, he is an amazing player to have on our roster. When you draft a player, you have your reasonable expectations and then you have your high hopes. He met expectations last season. He is reaching his ceiling this year.

I will say this. I think the chemistry among the Rangers as a group is something I haven't seen since the Jagr/Nylander/Straka days. I wouldn't be shocked if as a group we continue to score at a great pace.

I think when you remove one of those pieces from our organization, they go back to being what they were instead of continuing on the path of reaching their ceiling.

there is another mathematical possibility you overlooked, although I believe you did so unintentionally

Maybe JT is not reaching, but instead
only
beginning to approach
his potential!!!!!

just in case, best be safe, not sorry

Two ways of looking at it. Some of those younger players are developing even more, so it would make sense for a team in need of youth to keep them. Nash rebounding could make things a little interesting for a trade. The other side is, these starts could definitely be viewed as just a simple hot streak with no change to their value.

Rangers shouldn't do anything too drastic, get the typical rental defenseman if needed at the trade deadline. Wideman would be a solid rental target, and then Shattenkirk depending if the Blues continue to play like poop on a stick.

Bingo

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

Ye i agree. It would make it very hard to trade Miller/Kreider/Hayes now. Alot of potential and they are starting to show it for real.
I dont agree with Bern that Mcdonagh is easier to move. The chances of finding a new Mcdonagh is alot smaller than finding a new JT Miller. Its also a lateral move at best longterm trading Mcdonagh for a guy like Trouba+ for example. Mcdonagh and Stepan are only 26-27 thats not old. Zucc is 29, he isnt old either, many years left and you cant trade all your best players because they are over 25. Thats when you end up like Oilers with youth only and no vets to lead the way.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016

Hayes(no chance of being moved), Skjei and Miller, likely are not going anywhere. Nash not so washed up after all. If the Rangers are in the thick of things come the trade deadline, no major moves will be made.

Stepan and Zuccarello might be more likely to get moved than any of these guys. Step because he has a NMC kick in after this season and Zucc, who is awesome but getting older.....sell high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad