Proposal: has anyone suggested lucic for kovalchuk?

Homesick

Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
puljujarvi is the only value (or potential value) going to LA.

Kovy is likely to score in Edmonton, and Muzzin has value.

LA tell you to pound salt.
I don't see why the Oilers would want to lose toughness for a guy that wouldn't be able to keep up with McDavid and wouldn't bounce Chiasson out of the 1st line(he's on pace for 30+ goals at league min.)

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Kovey's wheels have fallen off

he is on 35+ contract and is getting more then Lucic for the next three years
Kovey would hit 20 just hammering in passes from Mcdavid on the pp

We also get to dump Sekera and replace him with a good #2/3d in Muzzin.

This deal is a big win for us imo

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
His intimidation is overstated, the zebras step in before he can do anything.

Did Couture look scared in this?

It took the Sharks bench and all the Zebras to stop him.

Mind that Lucic WENT TO THE SHARKS BENCH to go after him, right in enemy territory ALONE.

Thats a guy you dont want mad at you on the ice, he has NO fear and everyone knows it.

That laugh was a sigh of relief. I guarantee he knocked it off after that.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I get why LA wouldn’t want any part of this, but I honestly don’t want any part of it as an Oil fan. Looch is obviously overpaid, but he is a major presence in the locker room and currently doing a stellar job on a checking line (just not worth anywhere near 6 million). The “identity” line he is a part of was the true catalyst for the Hitchcock “buy in” by the entire team. It’s led to winning hockey games. Kovalchuk is the antithesis to what we have going on right now.

The perceived benefit is that Kovy’s years remaining are 2 less than Looch, but that is precisely when Seattle comes in and becomes an option to dump Looch to (at a cost of course). At least with Looch we get some intangibles and the guarantee he’ll leave it all on the ice. With Kovy there’s no guarantee he’ll even be on NA ice.

Call me crazy, I prefer Looch over Kovy.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

member 88115

Wait, not only do you want to trade us Lucic with his 6 mil contract that goes on forever, plus the 5.5 mil often injured overpaid Sekeras for overpaid Kovy. Not happening. And Lucic assets is toughness, but with how the NHL is being officiated Lucic can be a liability if he is pissed. Kovy has twice the amount of points as Lucic so far and you want to trade us almost X3 in $$$.

Reactions: go4hockey

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Wait, not only do you want to trade us Lucic with his 6 mil contract that goes on forever, plus the 5.5 mil often injured overpaid Sekeras for overpaid Kovy. Not happening. And Lucic assets is toughness, but with how the NHL is being officiated Lucic can be a liability if he is pissed. Kovy has twice the amount of points as Lucic so far and you want to trade us almost X3 in $$$.

I got to ask if this is new math?

If lucic and sekera are 11.5 mill
And kovi and muzin are 10.3 i guess

How is that X3 in $$$

You dont need to like the trade... just im totally confused by your reasoning

And honestly if the relationship between kovi and kings is as bad as rumored... then having him count against cap as a 35 year old signee while hes back in russia is going to super suck

You guys have a problem here and this might be your best chance to get rid of it

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Tough to score when you're injured. He'll be back though.

Let me know when Lucic starts scoring again.

(Hope he does, cuz I liked Lucic as a player...)

its kinda all kovy does. without the scoring kovy is dead weight.
5 goals in 25 games

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

How is that X3 in $$$

And honestly if the relationship between kovi and kings is as bad as rumored... then having him count against cap as a 35 year old signee while hes back in russia is going to super suck

You guys have a problem here and this might be your best chance to get rid of it

Whatever happens to the Kovi contract was a bad deal sure. But no way are we moving him and taking on two bad contracts as well as getting bad value for Muzzin. The cap hit for his contract really doesn’t matter if la is going retool/rebuild as we will not be competing and will also be moving other players that make money. I would rather eat Kovi’s contract than making it worse by taking on longer bad contracts. It’s a crap deal for LA.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I would take it, but I doubt LA would even though I think Lucic would do better on the Kings.

Hitch can work with Kovalchuk, that's not a problem.

member 88115

How is that X3 in $$$

Im baffled how you can confused by my reasoning. After this year, we are trading away Kovy who has 2 years left on his contract for 2 players in which Lucic has 4 years left plus Sekera has 2 years on his contract. I don’t count Muzzin cause he still a valuable players and no where the dumpster fire the 3 I talked about. And Lucic contract is almost double the length (after this year) of which is where I got the “almost” part of it. And that 35 year old was almost producing at a point per game before Willie took over and really screwed Kovy over. Not even taking into consideration you wanted to add Muzzin for a rookie struggling to make the big club.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Nobody wants Lucic, that contract... worse in the league. The question is what will edmonton give up for someone to actually consider taking him of their hands?

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Nobody wants Lucic, that contract... worse in the league. The question is what will edmonton give up for someone to actually consider taking him of their hands?

DURP SEABROOK DURP! *completely ignores the actual stats*

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Producing on one of the worst offensive teams in the league before his injury and his coach's level of extreme stupidity?

Kovalchuk was fading before he left the NHL at 30. Out of the league for 5 years. What did everyone expect?
This is one of the dumbest signings in recent memory

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t see why Edmonton would do this.

I think the “presence” factor with Lucic is wildly overstated; grasping at straws to justify that horrendous contract.

At the same time, Kovalchuk is a waste. And with a 35+ contract for multiple years beyond this one, **** that

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Kovalchuk was fading before he left the NHL at 30. Out of the league for 5 years. What did everyone expect?
This is one of the dumbest signings in recent memory
It's ok to admit you don't know what you're talking about. Because it's clear in this case you don't.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Come on... any Oiler fan saying no to this... why?

I agree Lucic has been playing like a good 3rd line winger... you don't want a good 3rd line winger for the next 4.5 years with a NMC with an upcoming Expansion Draft.

Sekera is a complete wild card... but after 2 major surgeries and missing the most part of the past 3 seasons... if I were betting real money. I would say him playing as an effective 2nd pairing Dman is the absolute best we could hope for.

Puljujarvi... I still think he is going to be fine... I see him being an effective 2nd line winger with speed, size, strength and a 200 foot player. He might even have the ability to be flexed into a 1W role. He is not going to be a bust.

Kovalchuk.. he would have more of a chance of succeeding on the Oilers that the Kings... if he is able to play with one of Drai, RNH, Connor... the question mark is does he have the effort level and mentality to play under a coach like Hitch... that I am not sure of.

Muzzin... would be a great acquisition for the Oilers...
Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Muzzin
Gravel-Russell

That D would be formidable and give us the cap space to keep Muzzin when his contract expires after next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad