Has Anyone Not Named Gretzky, Lemieux or Orr ever dominated a year like Sakic?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I was participating in a few discussions and noticed how dominant Sakic was in 2000-2001.

Hart Trophy (310 votes ahead of second place Lemieux)
Lady Byng Trophy
Pearson Award
Second in Selke voting (lost by 20 votes to John Madden, 50 votes ahead of third place Modano)
Second inPoints (three behind Jagr)
Second in goals (five behind Bure)
Fifth in Assist (five behind Jagr/Oates)
First in plus/minus
Third in ES goals (five behind Jagr)
Second in PP goals (three behind Bondra)
First in GWG

Those are just the base stats (i.e not including GPG, PPG, point shares, goals created etc).

This isnt a Sakic appreciation thread by any means. Im just wondering if anyone not named Gretzky, Lemieux or Orr dominated that much in a season. Its a lot easier than researching for hours on end.

Aug 3, 2010
Best all-around center not named Yzerman in his generation, IMO.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
I don't think you can finish second in points and goals and command a thread title like this.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The guy who outscored him that year had some dominant years.

Also Lindros when you factor his physical presence was absolutely dominant at the time.

Mark Messier in 1990 was ridiculously dominant as well.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Why was Sakic dominant though? he did have a great team with him, it wasn't all Sakic. And what about Jagr getting more points than Sakic that year?

geometrically*

Why was Sakic dominant though? he did have a great team with him, it wasn't all Sakic. And what about Jagr getting more points than Sakic that year?

Lemieux came back and that help jagr get the art ross. If lemieux does not come back then Sakic finishes first imo.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
How has no one named Sergei Fedorov yet?

His 93-94 season was one of the most dominant seasons of all time.

Hart Memorial Trophy (MVP) (first Euro to win the Hart)
Lester B. Pearson Award
Frank J. Selke Trophy
2nd in points (behind Wayne Gretzky)
2nd in goals (behind Pavel Bure)

Wikipedia said:
Fedorov was described as "three great players in one". Steve Yzerman was asked about Fedorov's play during the season: "I've only seen two other players that can dominate a game like Sergei, and that's Wayne and Mario...in my opinion, he's the best player in the league. He is different than Wayne and Mario because he dominates with his speed, and unbelievable one-on-one moves." Scotty Bowman was also asked in an interview during the season where he thought Fedorov ranked among the players and teams he has coached in his career: "He's right at the top. He's got the greatest leg strength I've seen in a player. His legs are phenomenal".

Last edited:

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Malkin in 08-09? Art ross, conn smythe, Stanley Cup. 113 point regular season, 36 point postseason(most by any forward not named Gretzky or Lemieux).

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Malkin in 08-09? Art ross, conn smythe, Stanley Cup. 113 point regular season, 36 point postseason(most by any forward not named Gretzky or Lemieux).

First player since lemieux to sweep the reg season and playoff scoring titles in one season. Also swept both assist titles

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Not that dominant considering there were 5 players over 60 goals and a player with a many as him that year.

lol at comparing a rookie Selanne to players who have been in the league for years.

Mackinnon put up 60 points, how many players had more than him? What a bust :shakehead

Tarasenko

Unregistered User
Oct 11, 2011
What? He shattered bossy's old rookie goal record by over 20 goals.

His rookie year is considered an unbreakable feat.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=534625

lol at comparing a rookie Selanne to players who have been in the league for years.

Mackinnon put up 60 points, how many players had more than him? What a bust :shakehead

Ignore the numbers, he was T1st in goals, 5th in overall points and a 1st team All Star in his rookie season.

Pretty damn dominant all things considered.

Yes he dominated for a rookie. But amongst his peers he didn't, considering he was like 50 points behind the points leader that year.
I never said his feat isn't unbelievable, I just said he didn't DOMINATED the league compared to his peers, whatever age he was and they were. I think that's what OP meant, no?

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008

Lester B. Pearson Award
Frank J. Selke Trophy

My first thought.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Yes he dominated for a rookie. But amongst his peers he didn't, considering he was like 50 points behind the points leader that year.
I never said his feat isn't unbelievable, I just said he didn't DOMINATED the league compared to his peers, whatever age he was and they were. I think that's what OP meant, no?

Ummmm, when you're a rookie, your peers are other rookies.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Lester B. Pearson Award
Frank J. Selke Trophy

I was thinking about Fedorov as well. His MVP season really goes unnoticed and yea it was dominant like Sakics.

Seems like nobody ever remembers how good he was that year.

Lindros was dominant sure, but it took him a lockout half-season to win the Hart when Lemieux didn't play a game and Gretzky had come back down to earth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad