Horse Racing: Weekend highlights: Franco wins 7x on Sat.; I. Ortiz wins 5x on Sun.; Ky. Downs handled $34 million total; Baffert wins two Grade I at Del Mar

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
And now NYRA and CDI are in a contract dispute. Thus all NYRA content will not be permitted at Churchill owned properties, including simulcast, and vice versa. If understood correctly, Saratoga cannot be watched or bet at CD, Fair Grounds, etc.
Sounds a lot like carriage contracts that just were resolved between Comcast and Diamond Sports Group aka Bally RSN's over how much content and how much to carry.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
i can't wager on saratoga today because of this shit:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Sounds a lot like carriage contracts that just were resolved between Comcast and Diamond Sports Group aka Bally RSN's over how much content and how much to carry.
This seems more serious than New York's recent dispute with TVG. The track properties not showing the other's venues is huge. Right now, CD is running Colonial, Louisiana, Ellis and Presque among other properties. CDI's CEO called NYRA "reckless" and "disturbing" among other words.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
i can't wager on saratoga today because of this shit:

Grening now has a piece on DRF.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Race 6 at Indy is declared no contest due to a spill. Jockeys Marcelino Pedroza, Yarmarie Correa and Santo Sanjur being treated for injuries.

Two horses caught (seemingly positive) and a third in the equine ambulance. ...Update: All reported fine.

Jocks sent to the hospital for further evaluation.
Update: All reported fine.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
"you have to have the horse"; but you also need a rider that won't "butcher it" as well.

if i owned horses there are 4 riders in the last 25 years that i can wholeheartedly trust and not lose a minute of sleep over a possible bad ride: bailey, johnny v, jorge chavez, and david flores. maybe 5-prat is real good.

johnny v has gotten to the point of being real selective with his mounts the way craig perret was during the early 90's. and as well he should-he's more than earned that right. he seems to be picking horses to ride that are of good quality, and are trained and owned by outfits that also appear to stress the safety and well being of their animals. jv lost a spleen years back.
It also helps if a jockey is disciplined off the track. I will put Chris Antley and Garrett Gomez against almost anyone when they were on the top of their games but they were unfortunately flawed and it cost them dearly. The pantheon of greatness has many positive stories as well. It can be a rough sport as witnessed by the fall at Indiana yesterday and fortunately they all passed medical evaluations but there is a narrow line involving safety and certainly how some battle weight issues.

Reactions: Orr Fourever

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
It also helps if a jockey is disciplined off the track. I will put Chris Antley and Garrett Gomez against almost anyone when they were on the top of their games but they were unfortunately flawed and it cost them dearly. The pantheon of greatness has many positive stories as well. It can be a rough sport as witnessed by the fall at Indiana yesterday and fortunately they all passed medical evaluations but there is a narrow line involving safety and certainly how some battle weight issues.
the year when antley won with charismatic was the best that i ever saw him ride. he was riding just as well as any of the top 5 earners that year. the nasty habit of his horses winning while drifting out badly during stretch runs he finally overcame. if not for his addictions he would have been #5 on my list of go to riders if i owned horses. a drug free antley would have translated to a career of well...who do you know?.... johnny v!!!

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
note to those who follow First Tracks @ Cumberland Raceway; this weekend's card is the last scheduled weekend of racing @ 3:15;

the track has to undergo a hold pattern until the the final week of September when First Tracks' license is to conduct the racing that week including free admission after the Fair actually ends

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
the year when antley won with charismatic was the best that i ever saw him ride. he was riding just as well as any of the top 5 earners that year. the nasty habit of his horses winning while drifting out badly during stretch runs he finally overcame. if not for his addictions he would have been #5 on my list of go to riders if i owned horses. a drug free antley would have translated to a career of well...who do you know?.... johnny v!!!
I remember when Antley died, a cartoonist had a teary-eyed horse named Charismatic place a flower over the deceased's headstone. Nothing else needs to be added.

Reactions: GKJ

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Race 1 at Saratoga "an absolutely devastating performance" per the track caller. Second time out for Two Sharp. The Twirling Candy filly costs $925,000. Among the defeated was $720,000 Lady Pink trained by Chad Brown.

Phil Bauer is putting together quite the resume at Saratoga....unofficially 20 out of 55 since the 2022 meet.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium