Horse Racing: Weekend highlights: Franco wins 7x on Sat.; I. Ortiz wins 5x on Sun.; Ky. Downs handled $34 million total; Baffert wins two Grade I at Del Mar

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Belterra (OH) has minor stakes races today.

Woodbine (ON) has good cards today and tomorrow (Saturday).

RacePurseRace TypeDistanceSurfaceStartersEst. Post
1$65,700Maiden Optional Claiming5 FTurf71:05 PM ET
2$61,600Optional Claiming1 1/16 MAll Weather71:34 PM ET
3$111,300Maiden Special Weight6 FTurf92:04 PM ET
4$39,900Claiming1 1/16 MTurf122:34 PM ET
5$111,300Maiden Special Weight6 FTurf103:05 PM ET
6$150,000Plate Trial S.1 1/8 MAll Weather73:36 PM ET
7$135,000Trillium S. Presented by Don Julio1 1/16 MAll Weather84:19 PM ET
8$175,000bet365 Connaught Cup S.7 FTurf84:56 PM ET
9$500,000Woodbine Oaks Presented by Stella Artois1 1/8 MAll Weather155:33 PM ET
10$110,700Allowance Optional Claiming6 FTurf126:08 PM ET
11$49,200Maiden Optional Claiming6 FAll Weather146:42 PM ET

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Belterra race 3: Perry Ouzts just broke the record for oldest jockey to win a race in No. America history: 70 years, 12 days or so. He has been riding 51 years.

• Love

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
CD rescinds suspension of Bob Baffert presumably to all its properties.

UPDATE:

1721434261243.png

Last edited:
  • Love

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Friday, July 19, 2024
  • Mark Casse, in both the Halls of Fame of US and Canada, entered horses at three tracks and won at each. He finished 11 4-0-1.
Saratoga (New York):
  • Handle: $19.6 million.
  • Brian Hernandez:
  • Irad Ortiz, Jr. rode four winners on eight mounts. He leads the meet with 11 victories.
  • Luis Saez, one of the best riders in America, is just 2-for-40 at the meet.
  • John Velazquez, Hall of Famer, is 2-for-23 at the meet with both wins coming Wednesday.
  • Chad Brown finished 1-2 twice en route to a 6 3-3-0 day. He won three of the four races he entered.
  • Chad Brown leads all trainers with six wins. His former assistant Cherie DeVaux is striking at 38%
  • Jeremiah Englehart also has a hot barn at 43% (3-for-7).
  • Phil Bauer was 24% (5-for-21) in 2023 and 6-for-13 in 2022 at the Spa. This year he is starting hot yet again at 2-for-3 (66%). He trains at Churchill (KY) among other stops but doesn't have an excessive stable.
Monmouth (New Jersey):
  • Race 5: Book'Em Danno (Samuel Morin/Derek Ryan) won the $100,000 Jersey Shore Stakes by a nose in a short field of four.

Laurel (Maryland):
  • Jamie Ness leads the meet with 15 victories (31%).
  • Graham Motion is 17 8-2-1 (47%). Motion, a Kentucky Derby winning trainer among other big wins, has a squeaky-clean reputation which makes that winning percentage even more impressive.
Colonial Downs (Virginia):
  • Jevian Toledo-Brittany Russell have teamed to win three straight the past two days.
Belterra (Ohio):
  • Card: 10 races of which six were $75,000 stakes.
  • Race 3: Jareth (Perry Ouzts/Larry Smith) was the victorious favorite. Ouzts broke his own record as the oldest jockey to win a race in No. America history: 70 years, 12 days. He has been riding 51 years.

Woodbine (Ontario):
  • Race 3: Mensa (Patrick Husbands/Mark Casse) topped the all-Casse chalky exacta with a win in the $125,000 Victoria Stakes.

Last edited:
  • Love

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Union College 2014 hockey team (anniversary of championship) currently in the winner's circle at Saratoga.

1721434850285.png

Shayne Gostisbehere and Daniel Carr (Union College) at the Spa today.

SCHENECTADY — Ten years since they raised the NCAA championship trophy in Philadelphia. Ten years since the victory parade in downtown Schenectady.​
Where has the time gone? That’s what former Union College men’s hockey forward Mike Vecchione wondered Friday morning. He’s among 25 (out of 27) players from the 2014 team who have returned to campus this weekend to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the program’s only national title.​
“No, it’s terrifying how fast time flies,” Vecchione said, “When I got the email last year we were going to do a 10-year reunion, I literally couldn’t believe it. So much has changed and so much is still the same.”​

1721434934306.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: GKJ and CHRDANHUTCH

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Weather looks spectacular at Saratoga, Del Mar and Woodbine, overcast down the Jersey Shore but cooperative. Should be a brilliant and active race day across No. America.

• Love

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019

gee yeah. now allowed back to churchill downs. sure sounds great...

i was a baffert fan during the 90's. first discovery of him was his victory at the bc sprint with 30 slews. then of course his derby victories as well as horses popping up at nice prices in SA & hollywood park in all levels, whether graded stakes or claiming races. underrated turf trainer too.

but the last 20 years this guy has gotten to be a real pain in the ass regarding handicapping, especially at churchill. 6f workouts at 1:10 or 1:11(d) or 5f :58(d) with literally every horse he enters into a race. horses offer no betting value, and if you don't know whether they're going to romp by 10 lengths, manage to get 2nd or not come close to hitting the board. it became a huge relief to not have to see his name on churchill race entries during his suspension.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
That is one for the little guys.

Melissa Iorio just won a fierce battle against Irad Ortiz, Jr. in Monmouth's 8th race on a 12-to-1 shot. Iorio is born and bred in NJ. Big moment on center stage for her.

Same race, trainer Frankie Poalucci won for the first time this year defeating kingpin Todd Pletcher.

Horses were very much NJ vs. NY although the winner foaled in NY.

So far, $11 million bet at Saratoga and $9.5 at Monmouth.

• Love

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Saturday, July 20, 2024
  • Mark Casse entered horses at four tracks and won at each. He finished a remarkable day 16 7-1-0. The past two days, the dual Hall of Famer in Canada and USA is 27 11-3-1. Casse entered five graded stakes today and won three of them.
Saratoga (New York):
  • Handle: $26.1 million.
  • Dylan Davis rode nine times and completed a stellar day with four victories. Davis is in a 3-way tie for second place among riding victories this meet.
  • Mark Casse is a brilliant 13 6-2-1 (38%) this meet. Only Chad Brown has more training victories at the Spa this meet.
  • Race 10: Pounce (Dylan Davis/Mark Casse) won the $175,000 Grade 3 Lake George Stakes.se-guy win by selecting
  • Race 11: Thorpedo Anna (Brian Hernandez. Jr./Kenny McPeek) broke awkwardly yet still won the $500,000 Grade I Coaching Club American Oaks in a reduced field of four quite comfortably at the chalky odds of 1-to-5.

Monmouth (New Jersey):
  • Handle: $21.7 million. Good things are happening in New Jersey when Monmouth puts on a competitive card. Also, the Meadowlands is America's top harness track. Monmouth was a fashion show today, Saratoga-lite perhaps but just a scenic afternoon.
  • Attendance: $38,000+
  • Card: 14 races of which five were graded stakes.
  • Race 12: Dornoch (Luis Saez/Danny Gargan) won the 41,000,000 Grade I Haskell Stakes. Dornoch has won his past two starts, including the Belmont Stakes, since finishing 10th in the Kentucky Derby. He has earned $2.3 million in nine starts. Mindframe (Irad Ortiz, Jr./Todd Pletcher) was sent off the favorite but finished second yet is a determined horse as well.
1721527714410.png
1721527699404.png
  • Race 11: Get Smokin (Fernando De La Cruz/Mark Casse) won the $600,000 Grade 2 United Nations Stakes by a nose at 9-to-1. Grand Sonata (Javier Castellano/Todd Pletcher) placed at 23-to-1 but upon first view I though had caught the eventual winner in what was a 3-way tight finish. Get Smokin has earned over $2 million in 29 starts.
  • Race 10: Tapit Trice (Irad Ortiz, Jr./Todd Pletcher) won the $400,000 Grade 3 Monmouth Cup. Tapit Trice had won four of his first five starts but had faltered in each of his past four outings, that is, until today, a skid that began with a seventh place finish in the Kentucky Derby.
  • Race 6: Idiomatic (Florent Geroux/Brad Cox) won the $500,000 Grade 3 Molly Pitcher. The 5-year-old daughter to Curlin has amassed a staggering 15 11-2-2 career record with well over $3 million earned. She won the Eclipse Award 2023 Champion Older Dirt Female and a Breeders' Cup race in her wonderful career. Today, she had all she could handle at 1-to-9 and I thought I had a wise-guy pick by choosing Soul of an Angel (Irad Ortiz. Jr./Saffie Joseph, Jr.) who nearly did the impossible.
  • Race 5: Beaute Cachee (Frankie Dettori/Chad Brown) wired the field to win the Grade 3 $300,000 Matchmaker Stakes by a neck. She is 8 4-2-1 since to America from France. The trainer won this race for a record-setting eighth time.

Del Mar (California):
  • Card: Opening Day. The meet runs 7/20/2024-9/8/2024,
  • Handle: Roughly $25 million.
  • Attendance: $22,000+
  • Bob Baffert won with his first two starters both ridden by Juan Hernandez who had a 3-win day.
  • Race 11: Atitlan (Hector Berrios/John Shirreffs) was the second longest shot on the board at 33-to-1 yet produced a massive payout with the $1 Pick 6 paying over $254,000.
  • Race 9: Iscreamuscream (Hector Berrios/Phil D'Amato) won the $200,000 San Clemente Handicap.
  • Future Southern Cal Racing 2024:
    • Santa Anita from 9/27/2024-10/27/2024.
    • Del Mar for 10/31/2024-12/1/2024.
Woodbine (Ontario):
  • Handle: $7.3 million
  • Card: Two graded stakes among the deep card.
  • Sahin Civaci-Mark Casse had a very successful partnership today winning three of four opportunities.
  • Sofia Vives had a most successful day winning twice including the Woodbine Oaks and a graded stakes.
  • David Moran and his teenage son Pietro Moran both rode winners. The son, who attends college in Canada, could be a contender for Apprentice of the Year in North America.
  • Race 6: My Boy Prince (Sahin Civaci/Mark Casse) won the Plate Trial Stakes as the overwhelming favorite.
  • Race 7: Solo Album (Sahin Civaci/Mark Casse) won the $135,000 Grade 3 Trillium Stakes.
  • Race 8: Cruden Boy (Sofia Vives/Don MacRae) won the Grade 2 $175,000 Connaught Cup.
  • Race 9: Kin's Concerto (Sofia Vives/Josie Carroll) won the $500,000 Woodbine Oaks by a nose.

Last edited:
  • Love

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
gee yeah. now allowed back to churchill downs. sure sounds great...

i was a baffert fan during the 90's. first discovery of him was his victory at the bc sprint with 30 slews. then of course his derby victories as well as horses popping up at nice prices in SA & hollywood park in all levels, whether graded stakes or claiming races. underrated turf trainer too.

but the last 20 years this guy has gotten to be a real pain in the ass regarding handicapping, especially at churchill. 6f workouts at 1:10 or 1:11(d) or 5f :58(d) with literally every horse he enters into a race. horses offer no betting value, and if you don't know whether they're going to romp by 10 lengths, manage to get 2nd or not come close to hitting the board. it became a huge relief to not have to see his name on churchill race entries during his suspension.
Valid points and the debate as to the extent of the suspensions at CD properties has been interesting if not enlightening as trainers and owners differ amongst themselves some of which I have acquired second-handed in personal discussions. CDI, as an ownership group, does have the right to ban a participant though the basis of the lawsuit by Baffert was one that he felt was unfairly constraining his livelihood. I had more of a problem with how New York handled the brief suspension to Baffert. When an entity openly stated that Baffert did no wrong within the state but was the recipient of a suspension based on reputation and the potential of bettors avoiding NYRA apps, I disagreed. NY is different than CD since Baffert rarely ships there but CD and related properties (Fair Grounds for instance) was much grander. Handicappers didn't seem to miss Baffert last year as handles exploded. The causal fan will bet the Derby no matter what. I do think the banishment of Baffert and by extension his horses was a loss for the fan who wants to see the best compete. A point that handicapping is more strenuous with Baffert on the national stage has been echoed by many. And as a caveat, owners could have taken those horses from Baffert and temporarily put under the care of other trainers but that to me puts undo strain on the trainer-owner relationship for not just those in immediate question but future business dealings. If nothing else, he is under the spotlight like never before. Let's hope any misfortune is reduced to nil.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad