Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Nick Cousins (1 year, $1M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Domi-Kotkaniemi-Drouin
Lehkonen-Poehling-Armia
Cousins-Weal-Byron
Thompson

Since we don't have top quality weapons up front we need to rely on depth and make sure our depth is solid.

Varone, Peca, Weise are obviously being sent down and always were going to be sent down. They're not even worth considering as possibilities. We had room for a Nick Cousins.

Reactions: Locks

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Who said this guy is even gonna make the team? Jesus Christ you guys are just something else...

Because he's on a one-way contract. I guess having 4 players (Alzner, Peca, Cousins, Peca) on one-way deals playing in Laval is another proof of Bergevin's genius, by your standards? You know these deals count against the cap even if the guys are in Laval, right?!

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
1 year and 1 M and people still crying! What is wrong with this world?????
I know, but it's because we already have too many of these low AAV/Term players. It clutters the gap between Habs and laval for rookies too. Plus all of these guys we sign are worth 6th-7th rounder in trade value as well.

We need staples and anchors on LD and C. PP guy too. This hasn't been adressed yet and I'll be satisfied if there's a trade/rfa happens. I trust his judgement when we does these things; to acquire players that are invaluable to the team and then signing them. Trades or rfa.

I just don't agree with his free agent signings. Ever. Who's the last free agent we signed that was any good? Radulov, for one year.

We need to preserve contract slots and cap for more of "anchor" types of players.

Will admit it's way less painful to avoid Panarin/Hayes/Skinner/Alzner/Simmonds contracts. So I'm happy he stays away from any signifcant name on ufa.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I like this signing a lot more than Chiarot. Hard working, responsible player. Will be 26 next season, may have more to give. Contract can be waived easily, but an RFA after the contract ends.

All this tells me is that there HAS to be a trade in the works.

Seems pretty likely, Montreal's NHL depth chart is WAY too crowded, even if you send Peca, Weise and Alzner to Laval.

Reactions: ForeverHabs97

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Domi-Kotkaniemi-Drouin
Lehkonen-Poehling-Armia
Cousins-Weal-Byron
Thompson

Since we don't have top quality weapons up front we need to rely on depth and make sure our depth is solid.

Varone, Peca, Weise are obviously being sent down and always were going to be sent down. They're not even worth considering as possibilities. We had room for a Nick Cousins.

So basically Thompson and McCaron should fight for the extra spot and that's about it? I think Cousins is definitely an upgrade on Peca so good for us.

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
This by itself makes no sense at all It has to be part of a bigger move
No,I think bargain bin is back to his ( I can get more things for $10 in a dollar store then at a regular retail store mentality ).here we go again the definition of insanity once again is associated with magoo and associates!

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Well, its all about perspectives lol

I certainly dont mind dishing 1 mill 1 year for someone who puts up 27 points
over dishing a TWO year deal at 1.5 mill per for a guy who had TOTAL 20 NHL games in peca......

MarkJ

Jun 30, 2019
If only Georges Laraque tweeted about Habs making a big trade.

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
It must be some kind of tricks, signing all the 4th liners so there's none left on the market. Like that, Bergevin will be in great position to trade with the other GMs. :laugh:

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Because he's on a one-way contract. I guess having 4 players (Alzner, Peca, Cousins, Peca) on one-way deals playing in Laval is another proof of Bergevin's genius, by your standards? You know these deals count against the cap even if the guys are in Laval, right?!

Lol

Jul 6, 2016
Cousins has a reputation of being an agitator and a gritty hard working player. Is that right ?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Who?
So Miss out on duchene and Aho and settle for nick cousins? Wtf
On the main board I claimed that the Aho offer-sheet was a PR stunt. Some Habs fans took exception to that.

So I say to them now it was either a PR stunt or MB is a complete buffoon.

The Habs war room.

LAPOINTE: So what's the plan for July 1st, big guy?
MB: Well we go after Duchene and if that fails we offer-sheet Aho. But we don't pay them too much.
LAPOINTE: And if that fails?
MB: Plan B my face in the hole.
LAPOINTE: Why you putting your face in the hole?
MB: It's an henglish expression, dummy.
LAPOINTE: Oh So what's your face in the hole?
MB: Chiarot and Cousins.
LAPOINTE: Effing A
MELANBY waking from a slumber:Who we effing?
MB: No one. Go dodo.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
1M can be buried in Laval! Good Night!

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
1 million for 27 points seems like pretty good value.

Plus, if he doesn't pan out and is sent to the minors, his salary doesn't count against the cap.

Yes it does. It's a one-way contract. If he's buried in Laval his cap hit counts, same as Peca, Weise and Alzner.

We should try and re-acquire Schlemko and assign him to Laval while we're at it. Just for the sake of having 5 players counting against the cap who are not even playing NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad