Confirmed with Link: Habs Relieve Stephane Waite of his duties, Sean Burke Named Director of Goaltending

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Weird timing, but personally I really like Burke, I got the chance to meet him back when he was playing with the Lightning and he signed for everyone who was waiting, and even gave one fan his stick. Some of the regulars there said he did that after every home game.

Not surprised he was able to transition into a role after his playing days were done, everyone just seemed to love the guy.

HHHJM

Jun 29, 2018
Why is anyone surprised? If your D sucks for a couple years you fire the D coach. Clearly a new outlook on goalies was needed

Reactions: Skip Bayless

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Burke is in the US right now and will have to quarantine for 14 days before joining the club. The Laval's goalie coach will be around for the next couple of weeks.

It's odd. Burke is usually US based. Is he leaving the US permanently for this role or is his 'director' role signs that he will do the job now and remain an advisor later?

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Some people might not remember but Sean Burke was a decent goalie back in the day.

His resume isn't too bad either. From goalie coach, Canada GM, scout, etc...

I am optimistic about his input because of his vast experience. He's no slouch.

The only odd part is I think Sean Burke isn't based in Montreal, so is this temporary? Is he 'director' until he finds a coach under his wing?
So there are 2 goalies on the team. You need a coach and then you need a director ? A director to direct the coach on how to coach? Wow.

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
I think Youppi! is next. The seat covering tarp will have had the best of him.
I feel like creating a proposal thread on the main boards: Youppi + 3rd for Gritty (I legit would be happy lol, and it would be a change of “identity” for our team). Then again, I don’t want to get infracted for making that stupid thread.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Coach's get fired all the time to fire up players. That's what I think happened here. Carey has sucked. Carey's coach goes. Hopefully Carey becomes ultra motivated and plays up to his true form
But why do it when you won't have a goalie coach for 2 weeks? Why not bring Burke in Canada earlier?

Something was brewing.

I'm guessing Richardson is next.

Reactions: McTusk and Runner77

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
So there are 2 goalies on the team. You need a coach and then you need a director ? A director to direct the coach on how to coach? Wow.

I don't know. It's a strange title. I'm just speculating that a guy based in Arizona is moving to Canada to be a goalie coach when he's already got experience being a scout and Canada GM.

Seems almost like a step back no?

Guy was a goalie coach almost 15 years ago.

Something tells me his role isn't as simple as assistant coach. The 'director' tag certainly adds to that skepticism. I have a feeling he's assistant coach temporarily or has a dual role.

Jul 6, 2016
I don't know. It's a strange title. I'm just speculating that a guy based in Arizona is moving to Canada to be a goalie coach when he's already got experience being a scout and Canada GM.

Something tells me his role isn't as simple as assistant coach. The 'director' tag certainly adds to that skepticism. I have a feeling he's assistant coach temporarily or has a dual role.

He was still a goalie coach FIVE years ago in Arizona.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Maybe they are pulling off a trade and Carey wants his coach brought with him.

Price can only be traded if he wants to and where he wants to. Apart from Vancouver and Seattle, I don't see potential destination Price would like and Vancouver is not in the market for a goalie or have the space for Price.

Jul 6, 2016

Dual role ? Possibly. He will supervise the Rocket's goalie coach too.

Reactions: dinodebino

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
He was still a goalie coach FIVE years ago in Arizona.

With a dual role as assistant GM.

He's since carried a dual role with us too. Scout and goalie consultant WHILE being Canada GM for spengler cup and things of that nature.

Being purely an assistant coach seems like a major downgrade. He's doing management a favor and he will get another role or be given more responsibilities.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Like LL said, Price looks bad for quite a while now.. his stats are quite average in the last 4 years. Something had to happen. When you invest 10M$ in someone, you want to make sure you give him everything he needs to make you look good.

Bergevin is playing his last cards.

Jul 6, 2016
Price can only be traded if he wants to and where he wants to. Apart from Vancouver and Seattle, I don't see potential destination Price would like and Vancouver is not in the market for a goalie or have the space for Price.

Vancouver would have the space for Price IF they get rid of Erickson and Holtby + some deadwood like Virtanen and a vet like Beagle.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I like Burke I wanted him promoted to ass. GM, seem you only hear good things. He was a great goalie back in the days.

I guessing Price was ok with the move or maybe there trying to piss him off so he request a trade...

but timing seem weird and again it doesn’t seem to be very well planned out with Burke now needing to quarantine...

Jul 6, 2016
With a dual role as assistant GM.

He's since carried a dual role with us too. Scout and goalie consultant WHILE being Canada GM for spengler cup and things of that nature.

Being purely an assistant coach seems like a major downgrade. He's doing management a favor and he will get another role or be given more responsibilities.

Possible.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Sean Burke was goalie coach in 2015-2016 (while also being assistant GM). He was already "Goalie consultant" with the habs since last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad