GDT: Habs @ Leafs - 7pm - Sportsnet

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Not to mention all the fans that want to go for it, every trade deadline
Imagine we never traded a 1st round pick, like it was a rule for this team.

It rarely does any good to trade one IMO. Maybe 1 in 3 play NHL games (the picks I mean) but I'm sure 2 or 3 over a 10 year span end up being more impactful than a deadline add that doesn't push the needle up at all.

It does seem like 99% of people here always want to upgrade at the TDL as we're in "win now" mode. This goes as far back as the first year we barely made the playoffs and people wanted to keep JVR as our "own rental".

I generally don't like to say "it's the same people complaining" as it's not like I keep a list or anything but considering the number, I'd say it has to be many of the same people. ;)

Oh god, the "own rental" thing. Who invented that term? It was either the Leafs GM at the time, or the Toronto media?

What a stupid way to say "we're gonna keep this asset who we could easily aquire assets for, fail to get out of the first round, and lose this asset with nothing coming in"

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
They've drafted 31 times in the last 5 years, that is 6.2 times per year.

How many playoff teams are doing that?

Blame him for finally having some players knocking on the door of the NHL too.

He was given a terrible prospect pool, now, ours is respectable for a playoff team.

I think fans forget how bad our prospect pool was here before Dubas and how bad we were at drafting.

Dubas made mistakes no doubt. But he did help setup one of the best developing programs in the NHL and a very good scouting team.
I think fans think that drafting in the NHL is like the NFL when its more like the NBA. Its hard to make the NHL as a 1st rd pick let alone all the other rounds.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think fans forget how bad our prospect pool was here before Dubas and how bad we were at drafting.

Dubas made mistakes no doubt. But he did help setup one of the best developing programs in the NHL and a very good scouting team.
I think fans think that drafting in the NHL is like the NFL when its more like the NBA. Its hard to make the NHL as a 1st rd pick let alone all the other rounds.

Assets were bled for all those years to make a run, never made a serious run. Now no assets left, or very little. Someone is to blame. If you don’t want to blame Dubas for “going for it” then blame the players for not getting it done. People defend this core to no end, but aren’t they at fault then? I can't believe how so many fans worship these guys for accomplishing dick all.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I can't imagine they're happy with a 2-1 victory, not against that lineup. High danger scoring chances were 5-4 in favor of the Leafs, which probably isn't the result they were looking for.
Mostly the starting lineup, but missing their two best players, top two centres, and two best scorers.

Reactions: Menzinger

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
I think we have an inury-prone lineup so let's just hope they're healthy for the playoffs. This should mean we give our best players rest toward the end of the season instead of letting them try to attain their personal goals like the idiot coach we got rid of. Especially against teams with rats.

Last edited:

JIMVINNY

Nov 9, 2007
Mostly the starting lineup, but missing their two best players, top two centres, and two best scorers.
It's fine if you want to point out that the Leafs were missing their top two scorers, but the Habs only iced a single players from their presumed top 6, the top D pairing in this game was at best their 3rd pairing last year, and the goalie has never played a single minute of real NHL hockey. Montreal had a total of 4 forwards and 2 (maybe 3) defenceman that will be in the lineup on opening night.

Of course, none of this matters. There's no reason to get so defensive about an utterly insignificant thursday night preseason game.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
At this time of the year it’s usually the non-NHL guys putting in the most effort. The results don’t matter in any way.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It's fine if you want to point out that the Leafs were missing their top two scorers, but the Habs only iced a single players from their presumed top 6, the top D pairing in this game was at best their 3rd pairing last year, and the goalie has never played a single minute of real NHL hockey. Montreal had a total of 4 forwards and 2 (maybe 3) defenceman that will be in the lineup on opening night.

Of course, none of this matters. There's no reason to get so defensive about an utterly insignificant thursday night preseason game.
I wasn't being defensive. Just responding to the "mostly starting lineup" comment.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Has it really hurt them though? It isn't like they missed out on Scott Niedermayer.
I haven't done a deep dive into this or anything but any time you trade futures (especially 1st round picks) it hurts you in the sense that you deplete your prospect pool.

Had we just kept all our picks, it stands to reason that we'd have at least a couple of players we drafted contributing to the team today, that's the theory anyway.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I haven't done a deep dive into this or anything but any time you trade futures (especially 1st round picks) it hurts you in the sense that you deplete your prospect pool.

Had we just kept all our picks, it stands to reason that we'd have at least a couple of players we drafted contributing to the team today, that's the theory anyway.

The most damaging pick so far has been the one sent along with Marleau. That turned into Jarvis who is a blossoming star. Our other first rounders that have gone out the door haven't been as bad.

2019 1st for Muzzin turned into Tobias Bjornfort, who is a journeyman at this point and on his third organization.

2020 first turned into Jarvis, see above.

2021 first turned into Corson Ceulemans, who according to The Athletic's prospect report has hit a plateau in his development and doesn't project too well.

2022 first (to dump Mrazek) is Sam Rinzel, an offensive defenseman who is developing well but still years away.

2023 first turned into Otto Stenberg, an undersized centre with a scoring touch.

For the most part with our firsts we've turned out relatively ok, certainly no disasters like missing out on Niedermayer/Lindros in '91 or Luongo in '97. Right now Jarvis is at "Brad Boyes" level missed out on which while not ideal is an acceptable trade off for "win now" deals. Or at least it would be if the trade brought in a piece to help us win instead of being used to dump a stupid contract.

Those last two-three picks still have time but I don't look at them and wish we had held on, only Jarvis really hurts. Granted we may have picked different players but in our range (5 picks higher or lower than our slot) but not too many stick out. In 2021 we'd have needed to trade up to beat Dallas to Wyatt Johnson, and 2023 we got who we wanted thanks to trading Sandin away (Cowan). Speaking of, we should have another 1st round prospect in this system if not outright on the team, but Amirov's passing was a tragedy no one could've foreseen.

In my opinion our most missed futures have been prospects who were already in the system or on the roster that we sent away. Moore, Marchment, and Durzi all would've been in line to join the team and contribute at some point within the last three seasons had we not dealt them. Only now are we seeing a wave of prospect reinforcements on the team in Knies, Robertson, McMann, Holmberg and potentially Grebenkin. Defence is really barren in that department unless you want to count Liljegren still, maybe Benoit but most of his development happened in another organization, not unlike Jake Gardiner.

Last edited:

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
0 points. 0 shots. 0 fights or response. 16.6 xGF% (second worst on the team). Looked visibly bad and struggling with plays and positioning all night. While playing sheltered against AHLers. If that's a "very good" night for Reaves, well that just shows why he shouldn't be on the team.
He created
0 points. 0 shots. 0 fights or response. 16.6 xGF% (second worst on the team). Looked visibly bad and struggling with plays and positioning all night. While playing sheltered against AHLers. If that's a "very good" night for Reaves, well that just shows why he shouldn't be on the team.
His coach disagrees with you. ""Reavo has been a good player in this league for quite some time. I couldn’t skate like Reavo. Reavo can get there and make contact on the forecheck. He is an effective guy. He is responsible defensively. We have him killing penalties a little bit in preseason."

This of course is in addition to his value off the ice as a teammate.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Assets were bled for all those years to make a run, never made a serious run. Now no assets left, or very little. Someone is to blame. If you don’t want to blame Dubas for “going for it” then blame the players for not getting it done. People defend this core to no end, but aren’t they at fault then? I can't believe how so many fans worship these guys for accomplishing dick all.
We have a new coach, and some new goalies.............

Let's see what happens with Marner and the new coach. Something has to happen there. The team needs to play a bit different, can Marner play/be deployed a bit different?

We'll see.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
The Habs farm team last night outhitting the Leafs opening night roster by 50% was what stood out for me, with a new coach that likes big heavy physical North South style hockey.
Hits is usually an indicator of possession. The Leafs got hit more because they dominated. Montreal had to run around and check.

Don’t get it twisted.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He created
His coach disagrees with you. ""Reavo has been a good player in this league for quite some time. I couldn’t skate like Reavo. Reavo can get there and make contact on the forecheck. He is an effective guy. He is responsible defensively. We have him killing penalties a little bit in preseason."

This of course is in addition to his value off the ice as a teammate.

He liked him so much that he played him less than everyone else.

Also, he added preseason to the killing penalties part for a reason...

The Habs farm team last night outhitting the Leafs opening night roster by 50% was what stood out for me, with a new coach that likes big heavy physical North South style hockey.

Maybe the Habs can win the award for most hits this year.

What a ridiculous post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad