GDT: Habs @ Leafs - 7pm - Sportsnet

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Another 'who cares' pre-season game. Our Leafs play like they don't care, while the Habs take the game seriously and try to win the game.

Being win less in pre-season means nothing. It's not important to set a precedence of a winning culture before the games count for real. One just needs to flick on that competitive switch once the games count for real, especially when the playoffs start for real.

Take this game off Auston, there is no reason to get yourself into game shape for the regular season and beyond.

Yes it is another who cares game.

Pre season doesn't mean shit

The Rangers went something like 1-5 in pre season last year and if memory serves they went on to finish 1st overall.

100% proof pre season doesn't mean shit

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

LeafsNet

Sep 1, 2024
Waterloo
Leafs win a preseason game - oh it’s only preseason, relax etc.
Leafs lose a preseason game - haha leafs lost, leafs suck etc.

The mental gymnastics Leafs haters have to guide themselves through to remain mentally stable is astonishing. I used to think it was only a joke that a large section of NHL fans hated the Leafs more than supporting their own teams.

But now I’m starting to think this might actually be true. :D

Reactions: Metroid

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This will be our defence game 1, so will be interesting to see how they play as a unit.

Especially going to watch who Liljegren plays with and how he plays. I feel like he's a lowkey important player for us and if he plays well, the depth and handedness of the group should be okay.

Even with Benoit 26 and Liljegren 25, average age is 30 for the defense.

We have to hope both still have some upside.

Rielly 31st. ranked fantasy defender.

Reactions: weems

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Yes it is another who cares game.

Pre season doesn't mean shit

The Rangers went something like 1-5 in pre season last year and if memory serves they went on to finish 1st overall.

100% proof pre season doesn't mean shit
Also means that finishing 1st overall means shit towards winning a Stanley Cup.

Pre-season is where you get tuned up and ready to rock the regular season. IMHO, setting a winning tone is still important going into the regular season against our pre-season match-ups. Right now, the Sens have the momentum going into our regular season games against them.

Back in my day, pre-season was when you got into shape after the summer vacation. Today, most players train during the off-season and are better fit to start the season. In my day, nearly all of the players had off season jobs to make ends meet. Today, our NHL players are so highly paid, all they need to do is train and keep fit all summer long.

After 8 seasons of playoff failures, IMHO, our Leafs need to be taking these pre-season games seriously. They need to be setting a winning culture, and certainly setting the tone for our regular season and possible playoff match-ups.

Listen, when I coached, my teams took every game seriously and wanted to win whether it was pre-season, exhibition, or regular season.

For those of you saying that pre-season means nothing, I beg to differ. Let's just agree to disagree!!!

Thanks for reading.

Reactions: no2ninja

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Habs lineup
1727362583757.png

Dobes and Hughes in net

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Toronto dressing it's full lineup tonight, I think there's some serious debate internally on whether Cowan should be on the roster for the year. Jankrok & Matthews & Knies are missing from the lineup only, but they would replace Lorentz & Cowan & Holmberg.

I'm assuming Cowan would be fighting for his spot against Holmberg and Reaves (I don't think he gets into the lineup everygame), if Toronto is serious about keeping Nylander at center.

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Domi - Nylander - Jankrok
McMann - Tavares - Robertson
Pacorietty - Kampf - Cowan/Holmberg/Reaves

• Haha
Reactions: arso40

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
I'm glad that Marner and Domi are playing together tonight. They looked good in limited time last year, and of course played together in junior.

Reactions: arso40 and 666

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Another 'who cares' pre-season game. Our Leafs play like they don't care, while the Habs take the game seriously and try to win the game.

Being win less in pre-season means nothing. It's not important to set a precedence of a winning culture before the games count for real. One just needs to flick on that competitive switch once the games count for real, especially when the playoffs start for real.

Take this game off Auston, there is no reason to get yourself into game shape for the regular season and beyond.

A few years back the Avs went undefeated in pre-season and finished the year with 49 points. 2 seasons ago the Panthers went winless in pre-season and won the presidents trophy.

The results of these games mean literally nothing for the season

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Toronto dressing it's full lineup tonight, I think there's some serious debate internally on whether Cowan should be on the roster for the year. Jankrok & Matthews & Knies are missing from the lineup only, but they would replace Lorentz & Cowan & Holmberg.

I'm assuming Cowan would be fighting for his spot against Holmberg and Reaves (I don't think he gets into the lineup everygame), if Toronto is serious about keeping Nylander at center.

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Domi - Nylander - Jankrok
McMann - Tavares - Robertson
Pacorietty - Kampf - Cowan/Holmberg/Reaves

Pacioretty wasn't brought here to be a 4th line guy

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Bizarre that Niemela hasn’t gotten into a pre-season game.
Certainly hope with 3 games left after today, he plays at least 2 of them. He could be hurt but they haven't said anything and he is practicing so he's probably fine. After a standout rookie tournament, you'd think they would play their best D prospect and see where he's at. While we had watch Mattinen mess up frequently instead.
I won't get too upset yet but if they send him down without playing a game or even 2, they deserve criticism. Would be cool if a reporter asked Berube about Niemela

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad