GDT: Habs at Leafs (Now, Monday)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Monahan 13-3 on faceoffs last night
Suzuki 7-6
Evans 7-6
Dach 3-7

Tavares 12-5
Matthews 4-9
Nylander 1-3
Domi 2-5

Winning offensive zone faceoffs is key for momentum swings. Everytime the leafs scored, we pushed back and part of that push back was a product of winning faceoffs.

Monahan had a huge impact last night. Imagine having three Cs that legit make everyone they play with better. Huge for the development of our young forwards.

Reactions: Redux91

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Well if you're comparing him to ghule or matheson sure but im not slotting harris as a top 4 dman . I guess if you're expectations are that than yeah he's chopped liver , I think he can be a solid 5 or 6
Of course he can, but those players are quite easy to find. So why not trade him for value to make room for someone that can do the same thing? There has to be a team out there that thinks Harris can be a potential top-4 in their system.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The only thing Gallagher has going for him is that despite his game cratering, he’s still difficult to play against downlow in the offensive zone and in front of the net. He’s also still fairly good on the defensive side of the game.

Combine that with his immovable contract, he will be in the lineup.

Agreed. I don't like how he has digressed but there are other parts of his game that is still sound.

We just need to learn not to expect him to deliver to this contract and play bottom 6. Heck, Gallagher has to learn that too because he shouldn't be getting much PP time. If he is humble enough, he can still provide value on a 3rd line and on the PK. If not, he's going to get disgruntled more and more over time but how can he blame management when he's just not producing like he was in his 30's?

I have faith Gallagher will remain a team guy and fill in the voids he can with what he has left in the tank. What happens in the future years and does he finish the contract with us? Who knows but for now, stay humble and patient because we won't need his cap space for a while yet. There is no need to jump on his back and go on attacks but yeah... some fans can't help themselves. There is always someone on their radar.

Matthews 7:59 of PP time
Marner 7:23
Nylander 7:14
Tavares 6:57

Jesus lol, somehow we still survived and came back to win it

I was thinking the same thing last night... PP after PP.

Nice W even if it's preseason. It was at their home ice and closer to NHL rosters.

Habsfan2992

One of the 1st
May 12, 2004
Oakville
I don’t think Gallagher has looked that bad at all. His top 6 days are behind him, and he’s certainly overpaid on a terrible contract, but he can still be pretty useful in the bottom 6. I thought both he and Pearson looked real solid last night. Monahan is an absolute stud too, so that looks like a very good 3rd line even if it’s a little slow and long in the tooth.

I think Anderson secured that top line wing spot, and I’m hopeful Newhook gets a shot at replacing RHP with Slaf/Dach. Hopefully Newhook can get them going again.

Caufield-Suzuki-Anderson
Slafkovsky-Dach-Newhook
Pearson-Monahan-Gallagher
RHP-Evans-Armia/Pezz

Heineman probably should be there but having him cook again in the AHL is probably best and we have the bodies up front to allow him to do that.
I don't understand why people keep wanting to waste Monahan on the 3rd line

Mudz

3peat watch: 0/3
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
Would you rather Newhook?

There's something to be said about raising Monahan value on the first. But I'm not even sure they trade him if Mtl is in the hunt at the TDL. A late first is starting to hold less value at this point.

Anyway it's a mooo point. Dvo presence will push back Mony and Newhook back in the top6.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
There's something to be said about raising Monahan value on the first. But I'm not even sure they trade him if Mtl is in the hunt at the TDL. A late first is starting to hold less value at this point.

Anyway it's a mooo point. Dvo presence will push back Mony and Newhook back in the top6.
Monahan centering the 3rd line is hardly a bad thing, especially since he’s established himself on the first unit PP. he’s still going to put up production as it seems who ever he plays with produces as well. Would be nice if he could get Gallagher and Pearson going who as I’ve said aren’t looking terrible.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Monahan centering the 3rd line is hardly a bad thing, especially since he’s established himself on the first unit PP. he’s still going to put up production as it seems who ever he plays with produces as well. Would be nice if he could get Gallagher and Pearson going who as I’ve said aren’t looking terrible.
If the team wants to be competitive monahan should absolutely be in the top 6 , Im pro tank for last spot intentionally so I don't care but logically monahan should play with CC and Suzi , or Dach and Slaf (if we are going to play slaf on the second line)

Reactions: Rozz

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That Dach and Monahan goal was so nice to watch.

Did Dach kind of fan on the shot? The angle I seen seem like he did. Still went in but I'd prefer the roof daddy shot where the goalie had no chance.

Nice overall play from several players though.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
If the team wants to be competitive monahan should absolutely be in the top 6 , Im pro tank for last spot intentionally so I don't care but logically monahan should play with CC and Suzi , or Dach and Slaf (if we are going to play slaf on the second line)
I think Anderson secured that spot at least for now. Things can change quickly though.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Anderson secured that spot at least for now. Things can change quickly though.

I think this is the best I can come up with that makes 4 good lines and puts players in the best spot to produce. I have a few different versions as I'm sure others do as well but this has gravitated to my favorite. We can certainly roll all 4 lines and then stack the skilled guys on the PP where the grinders go to the PK.

Caufield / Suzuki / Anderson
Slaf / Dach / Monahan
RHP / Newhook / Gallagher
Pearson / Dvorak / Ylonen

Reactions: Pazucha

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Will be interesting to see how MSL will deploy the ice time for the top 9 and 4th line , alot of forwards , alot of vets getting passed on the depth chart by younger ones

I think MSL is going to try his best to create stability for all the players but he's still going to tinker with things a bit more. Injuries and performance is still undermined so it's fluid

Jul 6, 2016
Monahan is so good at faceoffs. He must play on one of the top two lines, even as a winger taking faceoffs, because Suzuki and Dach are still struggling badly at that.

Mudz

3peat watch: 0/3
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
Did Dach kind of fan on the shot? The angle I seen seem like he did. Still went in but I'd prefer the roof daddy shot where the goalie had no chance.

Nice overall play from several players though.

No he didn't. If you try to go top of the net from that distance and this angle you end up right in the goalie glove. 7 hole was perfect

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Will be interesting to see how MSL will deploy the ice time for the top 9 and 4th line , alot of forwards , alot of vets getting passed on the depth chart by younger ones
I think we see a top 9 playing regularly of:

Caufield-Suzuki-Anderson
Slafkovsky-Dach-Newhook

Then we’ll have a makeshift 4th centered by Evans, flanked by maybe RHP and Armia? That’s my guess.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Caufield-Suzuki-Anderson
Slafkovsky-Dach-Newhook

Then we’ll have a makeshift 4th centered by Evans, flanked by maybe RHP and Armia? That’s my guess.
ok, I mean we'll see what RHP can bring.

I get the feeling MSL is open to Gallagher or Pearson on the 4th line and I think RHP will prove to be a much more effective player than those two. But we'll see what actually happens on the ice.

Jul 6, 2016

Caufield-Suzuki-Anderson
Slafkovsky-Dach-Newhook

RHP on a 4th line ? Are you kidding ? He has showned since with the habs that he is a top-9 player at worst. Pearson and Gally are anchors for this team.

ok, I mean we'll see what RHP can bring.

I get the feeling MSL is open to Gallagher or Pearson on the 4th line and I think RHP will prove to be a much more effective player than those two. But we'll see what actually happens on the ice.
We know already what RHP can bring... And he is a top-9 player.

Jul 6, 2016
To be honest with you I am really surprised with Mailloux and Norlinder. I knew Mailloux was something special, the organization had to hold on to him. I think he is already over Barron on the depth chart. I think he could be on the team like they are doing with SLAF, but in both cases they should be in the AHL learning.
The Norlinder case is a real headache at this point...with the amount of defensemen we have.
Not really. they still can send him down to Laval without going thru waivers. The headaches are Primeau, Ylonen and some other unproductive vets.

Cream will rise to the top eventually. Norlinder could be part of it, or not.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
RHP on a 4th line ? Are you kidding ? He has showned since with the habs that he is a top-9 player at worst. Pearson and Gally are anchors for this team.

We know already what RHP can bring... And he is a top-9 player.
I'm a big fan. But any player has to prove over a long sample size that they're not a flash in the pan, whether you're a #1 overall pick like Yakupov who had a great rookie season or an undrafted player that comes out of nowhere, or anything in between, like an overager drafted in the late rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad