GDT: Habs at Leafs (Now, Monday)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
If Habs get any goal tending at all they be a decent team this year
Goalies have been awful in the preseason..........awful. Soft goals every game....
Still think we are bottom 10 ish.............and are deadline sellers again.
Hopefully we see some progression with the kids, and rack up a few more wins....
Gotta score goals boys!!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I doubt it. The bottom 6 is going to be very unproductive, Matheson is made of glass, and as good as Guhle is, he won't be providing elite offense consistently to support the top 6 (and he has serious issues staying healthy). While I do expect Suzuki/CC to be excellent, Dach/Slaf to improve from last year, and Newhook to be a solid addition, I doubt it's going to be enough to keep us outside the bottom 10. Monahan will have difficulty staying healthy and Anderson is the most inconsistent player in the league.

As you mentioned, goaltending is a giant question mark right now. Allen looks like dog shit and who knows if Monty can repeat playing well for us consistently as a starter.

I think it will come down to energy/momentum. If they can stay away from major injuries that stock pile, they will do better than we expect IMO. How much better is the guess.

One thing I learned over the years is to not be too optimistic or pessimistic. 82 games is a long season and what we think on paper usually is not accurate.

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
He's not a hater. He just doesn't know what he's talking about.

Before the broadcast he glanced at a sheet that showed 28 goals from last year so..."Hey, maybe he can get 35 this season."

These guys don't care about anything but the Leafs. :laugh:

The LeafsNet crew pregame also mentioned the last 40 goal scorer for the Habs was Vincent Damphousse in 2008, so I don’t think they know what the f*** they are talking about

They certainly don’t give a **** about anything other than the Laffs!!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The LeafsNet crew pregame also mentioned the last 40 goal scorer for the Habs was Vincent Damphousse in 2008, so I don’t think they know what the f*** they are talking about

I wonder how long Kypreos is going to last? Can't believe they brought him back.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

That broadcast last night, was bad, real bad.............
After the game, they asked Kipper to make a comment about the Habs, and he said, no nothing.........then moments later realizing this, backtracked with his rebuilding comments.....pure jacka$$ kind of stuff.
After the rebuild guys just beat your A team for gods sake, and Allen playing like poo..........
LOL..............Sportsnet and TSN are hilarious.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Because he's on the smaller side of things and it doesn't appear he can put up 30+ points as a D man. But I agree, he's on the underrated side of things and just keeps doing the little things very well.
He is a decent Dman for sure. Smooth skater, his only challenge is that players of his size and skating ability are generally more capable offensively. With a plethora of young D rapidly developing, you have to think guys like Harris and Barron could be moved sooner rather than later.

I wonder how long Kypreos is going to last? Can't believe they brought him back.
Watching that Sportsnet broadcast last night was painful.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He is a decent Dman for sure. Smooth skater, his only challenge is that players of his size and skating ability are generally more capable offensively. With a plethora of young D rapidly developing, you have to think guys like Harris and Barron could be moved sooner rather than later.

I think if we want value, move them later. Let them get to the mature age and then trade them. Kind of like the Leafs getting a 1st for Sandin.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It will be interesting what transpires with this Habs roster over the next few days?
Does a goalie get waived or traded?
Has Ylonen and Heineman done enough to warrant a spot? If Ylonen gets waived, does he clear?
What about Lindstrom, Mailloux and Norlinder?
Where does Slaf play?
Alot of questions

Reactions: Rapala and Runner77

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
It will be interesting what transpires with this Habs roster over the next few days?
Has Ylonen and Heineman done enough to warrant a spot? If Ylonen gets waived, does he clear?
Where does Slaf play?
Alot of questions
For me, the biggest question mark is what happens to all the d-men?

Guhle, Savard, Matheson, Harris, Xhekaj, Barron, Norlinder, Kovacevic, Mailloux, maybe even Trudeau, could all rotate in the nhl this year.

Then there is Reinbacher, Engstrom, Hutson waiting in the wings for the next couple of seasons.

Considering the help the team needs up front, I am hoping that before the end of the season or next draft at the latest, the habs use this depth to bring in some help.

Reactions: Takeru and Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Watching that Sportsnet broadcast last night was painful.
I think someone mentioned last evening Harris should sit periodically. He does get pounded.

Reactions: Runner77 and Tyson

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Where does Slaf play?
Alot of questions

From what I saw last night with Ylonen, I do think he gets claimed. He has the ingredients teams look for...

Size,
Skating
Shot
Decent vision

I think we keep it simple at forward. Pezzetta, Armia, Pearson are on waivers to get under the cap with Price included.

On D, it's a bit more tricker IMO. It's possible Xhekaj, Barron, and Mailloux are off to Laval at first and then Xhekaj is called up after the season starts. I don't think we want to loose our depth if we put Lindstrom or Kova on waivers.

I'm pretty sure Primeau is on waivers. Doesn't bother me one bit. He's has been given lots of opportunity and I just don't see starter quality in him at the NHL level. We should not be worried if he gets claimed as a NHL back-up potential. His potential pre NHL is a thing of the past now.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
From what I saw last night with Ylonen, I do think he gets claimed. He has the ingredients teams look for...

Size,
Skating
Shot
Decent vision

I think we keep it simple at forward. Pezzetta, Armia, Pearson are on waivers to get under the cap with Price included.

On D, it's a bit more tricker IMO. It's possible Xhekaj, Barron, and Mailloux are off to Laval at first and then Xhekaj is called up after the season starts. I don't think we want to loose our depth if we put Lindstrom or Kova on waivers.

I'm pretty sure Primeau is on waivers. Doesn't bother me one bit. He's has been given lots of opportunity and I just don't see starter quality in him at the NHL level. We should not be worried if he gets claimed as a NHL back-up potential. His potential pre NHL is a thing of the past now.
One thing I don't see is Pezzetta going on waivers.

For cap money maneuvering I think Harris sent to Laval saves 1.4 million instead of Xhekaj's entry level cap hit.
No way Hughes waives Pearson, that goes against the way Hughes operates.

The only issue with losing Primeau is how flimsy the current pro level goalie situation is.

Reactions: Runner77

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
For me, the biggest question mark is what happens to all the d-men?

Guhle, Savard, Matheson, Harris, Xhekaj, Barron, Norlinder, Kovacevic, Mailloux could all rotate in the nhl this year.

Then there is Reinbacher, Engstrom, Hutson waiting in the wings for the next couple of seasons.

Considering the help the team needs up front, I am hoping that before the end of the season or next draft at the latest, the habs use this depth to bring in some help.
RDS was talking about the glut in Laval also. We will have to do something sooner than later if we hope to give minutes to our top prospects. I'm hoping we address our 4th line center position we need far more grit and a player with ability to stand up for our guys. It doesn't have to be fighting but the no reaction we've seen in recent seasons is not the answer either.

Reactions: Tyson and Runner77

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Where does Slaf play?
Alot of questions

For the goalies, I would really hate losing Primeau for nothing. He is younger than Monty and better than him at the same age I d say.

I think they give a full Season to Heinemann in Laval and Hope they don't waive Ylonen because somebody will likely claim him if they do.

I don't see how Lindstrom gets a NHL spot without showing anything in the preseason. I hope Mailloux goes to the AHL, Norlinder is making the case for himself but he is a lefty which I think will cause Barron to keep his spot.
I don't see how they don't play Slaf in the NHL given the fact he has been playing with their top guys.

Reactions: Tyson and Runner77

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
One thing I don't see is Pezzetta going on waivers.

For cap money maneuvering I think Harris sent to Laval saves 1.4 million instead of Xhekaj's entry level cap hit.
No way Hughes waives Pearson, that goes against the way Hughes operates.

The only issue with losing Primeau is how flimsy the current pro level goalie situation is.
Primeau is the stop gap to not have to recall Dobes if one of Monty/Allen gets injured. Habs should have signed a crappy old man goalie nobody wants to an NHL two-way deal to avoid that.

Reactions: Tyson

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I got crucified on here a few months ago for saying that that Habs future D core will be the best since the 1970s dynasty
I wouldn't obsess about differences of opinion of that type. Being a contrarian is its own reward. Being agreed with makes me nervous. If you get attacked egregiously, and you think that this level of discourse is typical of your counterpart, the Ignore button is your friend.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Absolutely no prep work done for the Habs/Opposition. It's disgusting. Talking live on air about how Mailloux might improve on his 25 goals when he gets returned to London is a f***ing joke. The thing is he won't get called out on it because the entire network is Leaf Centric from the top on down. TDGAF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad