Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] F Jake Guentzel signs extension with the Lightning (7 years, $9M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It’s really not rocket science.
Players want to play on good teams.
Tax benefits are stifled when the team is bad, when they become good however they become a factor as we’ve seen in all of Tampa, Florida and Vegas.
Conversely we’ve seen that bad teams in Arizona also haven’t benefited from this.
Were the taxes an issue when the California teams were good?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It’s really not rocket science.
Players want to play on good teams.
Tax benefits are stifled when the team is bad, when they become good however they become a factor as we’ve seen in all of Tampa, Florida and Vegas.
Conversely we’ve seen that bad teams in Arizona also haven’t benefited from this.

The tax benefit talk never applies to someone like Nashville or Seattle, who also don't have any state taxes.

Anyone pretending that state taxes aren't a factor is being disingenuous, but it's absolutely not the only factor and is something other teams can pay more to compensate for.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The tax benefit talk never applies to someone like Nashville or Seattle, who also don't have any state taxes.

Anyone pretending that state taxes aren't a factor is being disingenuous, but it's absolutely not the only factor and is something other teams can pay more to compensate for.

I’ve heard it talked about with both teams but less so certainly than either Tampa or Florida

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
True, but could have been an actual priority and then he didn't think Guentzel would be an option, but now he is and things changed.

The insiders like to save their ass and save everything is "fluid" and maybe this was one of those situations.

This is the current read on our board. Now that we have Guentzel, numbers are more certain and we can sign him.

That still doesn't make him a priority, but I get it. Hope we can bring him back.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Or, every state should eliminate income taxes
Why punish people who are smart enough to not fall for the sucker of state tax?

Tax his land, Tax his bed, Tax the table at which he's fed.

Tax his tractor, Tax his mule, Teach him taxes are the rule.

Tax his work, Tax his pay, He works for peanuts anyway!

Tax his cow, Tax his goat, Tax his pants, Tax his coat. Tax his ties, Tax his shirt, Tax his work, Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco, Tax his drink, Tax him if he tries to think.

Tax his cigars, Tax his beers, If he cries tax his tears.

Tax his car, Tax his gas, Find other ways to tax his ass.

Tax all he has, Then let him know, That you won't be done till he has no dough.

When he screams and hollers, Then tax him some more, Tax him till he's good and sore.

Then tax his coffin, Tax his grave, Tax the sod in which he's laid.

Put these words Upon his tomb, 'Taxes drove me to my doom...'

When he's gone, Do not relax, Its time to apply the inheritance tax

Last edited:

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Yeah, but you also have to remember that this is a business. Signing aging players to big contracts because they're good people is why teams start to suck major ass and have it seem like it's cyclical.

I'm assuming you'll see more and more teams start dumping players like this.
Yeah I know, I’m just trying to see it through Stamkos eyes. He’s been through a lot with TB and he basically got thrown to the curb here. It would’ve been better for TB to just tell him hey we’re not signing you. Instead they gave him a stupid offer. It’s insulting

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Have to admire Tampa for their aggressiveness. Sometimes you have to risk looking foolish to get what you want. Everyone would be calling their gm an idiot if they cleared that cap space and then missed out on both Guentzel and Stamkos.

Reactions: Outl4w

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
calm down son it's an internet message board about a game where grown men slap a rubber disc with inanimate carbon fiber rods

C7BC6982-F5D7-4F32-BA4A-3EB866BF70A0.jpeg

Reactions: Vukotal Recall

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Have to admire Tampa for their aggressiveness. Sometimes you have to risk looking foolish to get what you want. Everyone would be calling their gm an idiot if they cleared that cap space and then missed out on both Guentzel and Stamkos.
Depending on what the deal is I still might call him an idiot. I did after Sergachev's extention and Jeannotss trade after all.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Here's to a tax based Salary Cap in the new CBA. This is almost as big of an advantage as Vegas playing the Mark Stone Injury Roulette every year
I agree, we should over throw North American governments, so our favourite hockey teams and millionaire players can have equal taxation across the board! Better yet, why don't we as a collective run for government with the platform of equalizing taxation to better our favourite hockey teams and sport!

Feb 19, 2018
That’s an old core to be joining but I guess it’s a retirement contract anyways. Was convinced he was coming to Vancouver but I’m not even upset the slightest.

Good luck in Tampa and I hope my Canucks add overall depth instead of a big fish.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00