Confirmed with Link: Guentzel's rights traded to Tampa for 25 3rd

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Justicebork

Jul 13, 2022
Glad to have clarity, I suppose. Interesting for Tampa given that their issue has been the erosion of depth over the past few years, but that top line will be a sight to behold as long as they're all healthy

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
And just like that, on top of a gutted defense now we have to figure out how to replace that kind of scoring.

Not like it took us years of trying just to get someone like Guentzel to begin with. I'm sure it'll be super easy to replace that now

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
And now we are 3 top 6 forwards short and possibly 4 if necas is dealt. Only good thing is we’ve got a first line spot open for someone that might be enticing for a player to sign here over somewhere else. I’d make a play on stamkos and maybe Marchessault

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Surprisingly ambitionless move from him but tax free money talks I suppose. Not really that torn up about it if the space is used wisely.

Guentzel already has a Cup, which means he basically wants the highest bidder. I have no problem with that.

I'm a tad skeptical of going for a Stamkos, a guy who's won it all twice already. I think that guy's last contract is in real danger of being some sort of retirement country club pact. I really want a guy who either has not won a Cup yet, similar to Burns, or has won it only once. Marchessault may be the guy I would push hard for.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It’s hard to beat Tampa as a place to live if that’s your type of place, and they still have the pieces to make a run. I don’t blame him. Not sure how I feel about the dance that’s been going on here but I never really felt like he was staying so there’s just acceptance today. This overall experience is a big part of why I don’t like higher end rentals. They’re usually not enough to change your fortune, they’re expensive to acquire, expensive to keep….and it’s not at all weird that you don’t keep them anyways. I know a lot of people wanted us to go for it at a deadline and I think the Borg caved to that pressure a little because they’ve said themselves they don’t believe in high end rentals. I know they said Jake is special but I think it’s a combo of that and knowing this build was about to end, so why not?

“We build in the summer”. You were right about that. Don’t listen to us next time. Role players are fine as rentals. Depth.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
A 3rd has been the ceiling on UFA rights.

At least the fans can let their emotions out today this way. Tomorrow can then be a day of optimism.
Quite frankly the fans have a right to be pissed off about this. They're raising prices across the board and setting expectations very high for the quality of play this team will have going forward. Seeing top talent walk out the door should put some heat on the front office.

This was a bungling by a front office that now has a bit of a history in being unable to hold onto good players that aren't home grown. Hamilton and Trocheck ran from us and even Aho as a home grown player signed an Offer Sheet. It's a problem

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Quite frankly the fans have a right to be pissed off about this. They're raising prices across the board and setting expectations very high for the quality of play this team will have going forward. Seeing top talent walk out the door should put some heat on the front office.

This was a bungling by a front office that now has a bit of a history in being unable to hold onto good players that aren't home grown. Hamilton and Trocheck ran from us and even Aho as a home grown player signed an Offer Sheet. It's a problem

It's bungling if they don't spend to the cap. They almost certainly will once again. There are many paths that they can go here.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Yes he can, Tampa traded for his rights. That was the whole point. They have to do it today though.
That’s not how that works. You can only sign someone for the extra year if they were on your reserve list at the last deadline. Only way someone other than the canes could have got the 8th year is if we signed him then traded him.

I assume the pick was for signing him for 8 on his way out. The Central Registry needs to validate the deal before announcing it.
I have to imagine we’d have got more than a third for a sign and trade of the best ufa on the market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad