Friedman: Guentzel extension with Canes almost done?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
AAV doesn’t matter if the years go up. 7.75x8 is 62 million, but a team on the open market would have to pay 9x7 to beat that. At the end of the day it comes down to preference. I think Carolina up their offer to the mid 8’s which would take a 10 million offer to beat.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Why sign early if you're trying to leverage to get as much as possible?

If it gets him an extra 250k to 500k a year, why not
The timing and context of these reports is just a bit weird.

For example, reporting that Carolina has met Guentzel's ask—like, shouldn't that just mean that the deal is done?

IMO, it almost feels like Carolina is leaking some info to soften the blow ("we did all we could") about being unable to sign him before his rights are dealt or he leaves as a UFA.

I could definitely be wrong, I often am, but it just gives a weird vibe.

Superlative Soup

Lights too bright
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan
He wants to be a Canuck so bad
1719590318915.jpeg

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The rumor sequence is logical. They wanted him on a good deal ($7.75 mil x 8 per Seravalli). It didn't happen. If you haven't noticed, Carolina is pretty risk adverse with this type of thing.

Now, they're willing to pay him something resembling market value (with 8th year discounting) coming up on the deadline. I guess they really want the player in this case.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
There's zero chance that Guentzel is signing for less than $9 million with the rumored Reinhart extension in the $9-$9.5 million range.

You're not convincing Guentzel to not test out the UFA market for an AAV that starts in the 8s.
Also with Travis Konecny asking for 10 million per from the Flyer's.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
For what it is worth, Emily Kaplan from ESPN reported this morning that Carolina is both (A) pushing hard to sign Guentzel, and (B) telling other teams that they are willing to do a sign-and-trade with Guentzel so the acquiring team can get him for 8-years.

Just like at the trade deadline, it seems like everyone is in on Jake Guentzel. Proven playoff performers just don't come around like this too often. I believe the door closed on a Pittsburgh reunion once he was traded. However, Carolina, where he finished the season, is still trying to work something out. The Canes are the only team able to give him an eighth year -- but also have told teams they could trade for Guentzel's rights or do a sign-and-trade to get that eighth contract year. Interest around the league is so intense, it's hard to handicap at this point where he'll land. I believe Carolina seriously upped its offer this week.

Dunno, feels like if Guentzel really wanted to be in Carolina that he would've signed already. It's weird that it has gone down to the 11th hour.
I could see Canucks wanting in on (B). A sign and trade to get that eighth year and lower the cap hit would be valuable as we load up. Send some valuable draft picks back to help the Canes recoup some value from their trade.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I’m a bit surprised there doesn’t seem to be reservations about signing Guentzel to a long term deal from my fellow Canucks fans. He’s great but he’s also 30. I personally don’t want us giving him $10 million a year.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
For example, reporting that Carolina has met Guentzel's ask—like, shouldn't that just mean that the deal is done?
When i sold my last house, i got multiple offers the day i put it on the market. all met my ask. the winner offered more than my ask.

while he technically isn't on the market, it is likely some team has told his agent something like "hey, we're definitely NOT talking about jake here, but if a jake-like wing were available we'd offer $10.5 million"

and for the record, i agree with you 100% - if jake/his agent said they'd sign for 8 x ($$$) and the canes offered that, i feel like at that point you should sign. but agents aren't paid to be good-faith actors.

Bond

May 10, 2012
The center that never plays center and has played his best hockey as a winger. Florida runs Barkov, Bennett and Lundell as 1-3C and Lundell is improving too. Reinhart isn't playing center if he re-ups with Florida.
Oh I know that’s why I put quotes around it but if he hit UFA some dumb GM would sign him as center

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Sounds like Guentzel gave a list of contractual demands to Carolina and Carolina said we accept. All about just making it a formality and signing the contract.

Apperantly , other teams have been given indications that Guentzel to Carolina is a done deal.

From a business POV i dont know why anyone in Guentzel's position would sign a contract now.

Even if he does want to be in Carolina, wait until Monday and use other teams as leverage to get more out of Carolina.

He should fire his agent if he signs a contract before Monday.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
With the contracts that are rumored to be coming out for guys like Reinhart and Verhaeghe, I think Guentzel could get even more than this in UFA.

I have a hot take that Guentzel gets over $10 million a year if he hits UFA. Someone like Chicago will give him that kind of money.

Vancouver has the money to sign Guentzel in theory, but I don't think they have the money to sign Guentzel plus address the rest of their roster unless they want to have some pretty major issues with their roster.

I think Carolina being able to offer that 8th year, which will decrease the AAV, is a clear advantage for the Canes re-signing him. I just think they'd need to give him like 8 years at $9 million a year for him to not test UFA.
Canucks would be running back more or less the same roster that they had at the end of the year, swapping Guenzel for Lindholm. I'd be just fine with that.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Looks like Carolina decided to up their offer and meet what Guentzel was asking for.

I think it will probably be 8x8.75 or 8x9. Something in that upper 8s/low 9s range.

Reactions: Tryamw

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Sounds like Guentzel gave a list of contractual demands to Carolina and Carolina said we accept. All about just making it a formality and signing the contract.

Apperantly , other teams have been given indications that Guentzel to Carolina is a done deal.

From a business POV i dont know why anyone in Guentzel's position would sign a contract now.

Even if he does want to be in Carolina, wait until Monday and use other teams as leverage to get more out of Carolina.

He should fire his agent if he signs a contract before Monday.

There's likely other negotiations with other teams already, they're just not stating it publicly. If Guentzel wants an 8th year, he also has to sign it before Monday.

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad