Friedman: Guentzel extension with Canes almost done?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There's zero chance that Guentzel is signing for much less than $9 million with the rumored Reinhart extension in the $9-$9.5 million range.

You're not convincing Guentzel to not test out the UFA market for an AAV that starts in the 8s unless it's the super high 8s IMO.

Edit: apparently Friedman said that Guentzel's ask was 8x8, which Carolina wasn't willing to meet but is now willing to meet. I'm honestly shocked that his ask was so low, I would have guessed the deal would be done already if that's all he was asking for.

Last edited:

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
that'd be a really good deal for Guentzel... I can't wait for the Leafs to shell out 13 mil per for Marner 🙃
If the Leafs sign Marner for 13 million they deserve every bad thing to happen to them. And I’m a Leaf fan. Just rediculous giving that much to a winger. No way the Leafs come close to a Cup with 3 guys making that much money on the cap

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
There's zero chance that Guentzel is signing for less than $9 million with the rumored Reinhart extension in the $9-$9.5 million range.
To play devil’s advocate, if $9.5M by 7 = $$66.5M and $8.5M x 8 = $68M, there are 1.5M guaranteed reasons for him to sign for less than$9M.

That said, I don’t think he signs in CAR anyway

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
To play devil’s advocate, if $9.5M by 7 = $$66.5M and $8.5M x 8 = $68M, there are 1.5M guaranteed reasons for him to sign for less than$9M.

That said, I don’t think he signs in CAR anyway

With the contracts that are rumored to be coming out for guys like Reinhart and Verhaeghe, I think Guentzel could get even more than this in UFA.

I have a hot take that Guentzel gets over $10 million a year if he hits UFA. Someone like Chicago will give him that kind of money.

Vancouver has the money to sign Guentzel in theory, but I don't think they have the money to sign Guentzel plus address the rest of their roster unless they want to have some pretty major issues with their roster.

I think Carolina being able to offer that 8th year, which will decrease the AAV, is a clear advantage for the Canes re-signing him. I just think they'd need to give him like 8 years at $9 million a year for him to not test UFA.

Reactions: DaveG

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
There's zero chance that Guentzel is signing for less than $9 million with the rumored Reinhart extension in the $9-$9.5 million range.

You're not convincing Guentzel to not test out the UFA market for an AAV that starts in the 8s.

Reinhart had the better season and better playoffs. Not really surprising he'd get more

This league always rewards recent performances

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Reinhart had the better season and better playoffs. Not really surprising he'd get more

Florida has no state income taxes, which allow their deals to be lower than the true "market value" of these players. North Carolina doesn't have that.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

I refuse to believe that in 2024, NHL hockey teams don't have a single analytics person that can sort the NHL.com stats column and see "25%" under shooting percentage for Reinhart next to "57 Goals". I also refuse to believe any NHL team with pro scouts would consider Reinhart as a "center" despite what some random, never updated positional marking a website chooses to show.

The idea that Reinhart should get more simply because he just scored 57 goals and is a "center" should get any scouting group fired.

They should get paid pretty similarly, baring any slight Florida/taxes/Cup team discount Sam may choose to take.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I refuse to believe that in 2024, NHL hockey teams don't have a single analytics person that can sort the NHL.com stats column and see "25%" under shooting percentage for Reinhart next to "57 Goals". I also refuse to believe any NHL team with pro scouts would consider Reinhart as a "center" despite what some random, never updated positional marking a website chooses to show.

The idea that Reinhart should get more simply because he just scored 57 goals and is a "center" should get any scouting group fired.

They should get paid pretty similarly, baring any slight Florida/taxes/Cup team discount Sam may choose to take.
You obviously never had Jim Benning as your GM and Scouting Department.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
For what it is worth, Emily Kaplan from ESPN reported this morning that Carolina is both (A) pushing hard to sign Guentzel, and (B) telling other teams that they are willing to do a sign-and-trade with Guentzel so the acquiring team can get him for 8-years.

Just like at the trade deadline, it seems like everyone is in on Jake Guentzel. Proven playoff performers just don't come around like this too often. I believe the door closed on a Pittsburgh reunion once he was traded. However, Carolina, where he finished the season, is still trying to work something out. The Canes are the only team able to give him an eighth year -- but also have told teams they could trade for Guentzel's rights or do a sign-and-trade to get that eighth contract year. Interest around the league is so intense, it's hard to handicap at this point where he'll land. I believe Carolina seriously upped its offer this week.

Dunno, feels like if Guentzel really wanted to be in Carolina that he would've signed already. It's weird that it has gone down to the 11th hour.

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013

You're not convincing Guentzel to not test out the UFA market for an AAV that starts in the 8s.
Yea, i would even say less than $10M is a pipe dream. He is the top UFA this summer.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
For what it is worth, Emily Kaplan from ESPN reported this morning that Carolina is both (A) pushing hard to sign Guentzel, and (B) telling other teams that they are willing to do a sign-and-trade with Guentzel so the acquiring team can get him for 8-years.

Just like at the trade deadline, it seems like everyone is in on Jake Guentzel. Proven playoff performers just don't come around like this too often. I believe the door closed on a Pittsburgh reunion once he was traded. However, Carolina, where he finished the season, is still trying to work something out. The Canes are the only team able to give him an eighth year -- but also have told teams they could trade for Guentzel's rights or do a sign-and-trade to get that eighth contract year. Interest around the league is so intense, it's hard to handicap at this point where he'll land. I believe Carolina seriously upped its offer this week.

Dunno, feels like if Guentzel really wanted to be in Carolina that he would've signed already. It's weird that it has gone down to the 11th hour.
Why sign early if you're trying to leverage to get as much as possible?

If it gets him an extra 250k to 500k a year, why not

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad