Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Training Camp Begins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Clearly Tocchet is absolutely committed to stapling DeBrusk to a line with Pettersson......but the audition continues for right-wingers. I guess either Sprong or Hoglander might figure into the mix eventually. But would love to see Lekkerimaki get at least another game or two.
Ya probably but Debrusk is a better fit with Miller's line. Boeser is too slow to be the #1 forechecker and asking Miller to do it all the time even though he is great at it, will wear him down quicker.
I think Sprong will end up with EP because EP has slowed notably and they need his speed.
I don't see Lekkermaki making the team at the start unless to fill in for injuries, not a boards guy.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
One coach says play and the other in charge of goalies says no.
Power struggle.
What if Clarke goes to Seattle and creates another great goalie? They are already more of a shut down team.
What if he goes to Calgary and takes their goalies up a notch or two? Enough to make them a possible rival?

It seems very strange that the Canucks are letting him go anywhere while under contract. Is it that he may have a story he could tell?
There's definitely something odd going on. I've grown accustomed to the net being a strength for the Canucks. Hope that doesn't go south if/when Clark leaves.

Reactions: theguardianII

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Is it really going to be a surprise if the Canucks finish 4th or 5th in the division? Division rivals have more cap space, NHL depth, prospects and draft picks to go after top end player trades.

Yes, it would be. Vegas has pretty weak forward depth and LA is a mess. That alone should make us a lock to finish top three in our division. Falling to 5th means the likes of Calgary or Seattle who have done practically nothing not only catch us but pull ahead

That would be an epic collapse that would legitimately break at least some confidence in management. A lot would need to go wrong for us to fall into 5th.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Yes, it would be. Vegas has pretty weak forward depth and LA is a mess. That alone should make us a lock to finish top three in our division. Falling to 5th means the likes of Calgary or Seattle who have done practically nothing not only catch us but pull ahead

That would be an epic collapse that would legitimately break at least some confidence in management. A lot would need to go wrong for us to fall into 5th.
Anything less than 100 points is a massive disappointment. Even if Demko is hurt long term they have adequate goaltending and some truly elite skaters. Fans having tantrums because Forbort had a rough pre season outing or EP had a sour look on his face and struggled with being nicked up last year dragging various line mates around. It's the pre season. I guess it gives some folks something to bitch about? The roster is solid. Forbort was brought on to PK and add another big body/depth to the blue line. He isn't counted on to be a real difference maker back there. He's a one year bandaid. The top 4 D is solid. They have a great 1/2 punch in the middle. They have some good depth on the wings. The rubber pants brigade will hopefully chill out a bit.....There's some really good indica out there right now.

I will get worried if things aren't going well by the conclusion of the WS.

Saying this season could easily be as bad as 2016 is asinine.

Last edited:

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
a couple of nights ago tocheet was referencing about "certain players not in "tiptop game shape" wonder who that could be? veterans.

I think we are fine at center and with Raty having a good camp and Aman in the fold we have depth. I think we need a really good RHD more than a LHD.
cant we find both? example. rasmaus andderson on the 2nd pairing with soucy. then a cheaper LHD elsewhere.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
a couple of nights ago tocheet was referencing about "certain players not in "tiptop game shape" wonder who that could be? veterans.

cant we find both? example. rasmaus andderson on the 2nd pairing with soucy. then a cheaper LHD elsewhere.

With what cap space?

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
trade some guys. hoglander and whoeveer else. place demko on ltir

Hoglander makes $1.1 mil and would need to be replaced by at least a $750,000 player. Same as anyone else. $350,000 isn't going to get you very far. If Demko goes on IR you need to have $5 mil in space to bring him back when healthy.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT

That would be ideal. I just think Hughes and Soucy are a better group than Hronek and Myers and it isn’t particularly close. I think Andersson would be ideal.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Saying this season could easily be as bad as 2016 is asinine
First off a disclaimer about the following stats, they are just weird.

2014 finished 5th of 7 teams
2022 finished 6th of 8 teams
2014 missed playoffs coaches fired
2022 missed playoffs coaches fired
2015 playoffs - they have their third coach in two years
2023 playoffs - they have their third coach in two years
2015 finished 1rst in division
2023 finished 1rst in division
2015 marked a 18 point improvement from the previous year
2023 marked a 26 point improvement from the previous year
2015 bumped in the first round goalie issues
2023 bumped in second round goalie issues

Those are just weird details

Why I THINK there will be a fall back OUT of the playoffs;

I don't see sweeps of the Oilers, Preds or Rangers again
Defence not as good
Injuries, last year the team was remarkably healthy
Shooting percentage in line with the league average rather than the absurdly high rate of the first 25 games, more than double the league average.

The trend of the team to play a third of the season like the best in the league but not so great the other 2/3. Last year was almost the opposite of previous seasons, they started strong then faded other seasons they started weak and had great last thirds but missed.

To drop 15 to 20 points is not out of reach, they only need to not sweep the Oilers to drop half of that.
Demko to not play for awhile or get reinjured,
EP's knee to flare up more
Miller to lose half a step,
Hughes to be hurt.
The PK or PP to stumble.

The coach thing could be, not necessarily WAS, the coach bump which resulted in better performance. Much like players in the last year of their contracts out perform previous years. Loui Eriksson was that type, always had a great year at contract time. Saw that with Horvat too.

I think there is a good chance they dip, other teams improved, the Canucks are not, tow big areas of decline, the defence and in goal. I don't believe Boeser will repeat last years performance either, the coaching will go to more of a defensive poster as well, scoring will decline

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Yeah... dude you are likely the most miserable, negative person on this board.

Salut.... it's more important for you to be right than the team to win.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Yeah... dude you are likely the most miserable, negative person on this board.

Salut.... it's more important for you to be right than the team to win.
The team will never win if the fans are happy with losing, why bother trying?

For chits and giggles how many games do you think they will win? How many do you hope?

Have you ever bet on or bought something? You have to look for trends, habits, outside influences and longer term views than just NOW. You don't buy beach front when the tide is out, you don't buy when the trains aren't running or the mushrooms farms are dormant, the wind is blowing away from the sewage treatment plant.

I WANT the team to win. But for me it isn't what I "hope" will happen NOW, it is a longer realistic view and requires planning.
What I see now is an attempt for instant results without a care for the future. Already there are so many compromises in the very near future.

I am not going to go ballistic if they don't make the playoffs because to me all the factors are against them this year.

I grew up believing the blue ribbon was the goal, not the pink one that everyone got.

There is no real independent media anymore, just a bunch of infomercials telling everyone what to think.

I applaud your faith and unmoveable belief in the team despite all outside influences, you never have to change your stance.

I will change as circumstances change but it is interesting to see how much I am wrong over a period of time and see if I can less of those mistakes.

Regardless of where I am now, I can approach most topics, hopefully reasoning out in my own fashion unemotional responses and looking a what is.

I will always try to defend and explain my position without falling into answering with "because, because". If you note almost all my post rarely throw any player under the bus

Reactions: credulous

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
The team will never win if the fans are happy with losing, why bother trying?

For chits and giggles how many games do you think they will win? How many do you hope?

Have you ever bet on or bought something? You have to look for trends, habits, outside influences and longer term views than just NOW. You don't buy beach front when the tide is out, you don't buy when the trains aren't running or the mushrooms farms are dormant, the wind is blowing away from the sewage treatment plant.

I WANT the team to win. But for me it isn't what I "hope" will happen NOW, it is a longer realistic view and requires planning.
What I see now is an attempt for instant results without a care for the future. Already there are so many compromises in the very near future.

I am not going to go ballistic if they don't make the playoffs because to me all the factors are against them this year.

I grew up believing the blue ribbon was the goal, not the pink one that everyone got.

There is no real independent media anymore, just a bunch of infomercials telling everyone what to think.

I applaud your faith and unmoveable belief in the team despite all outside influences, you never have to change your stance.

I will change as circumstances change but it is interesting to see how much I am wrong over a period of time and see if I can less of those mistakes.

Regardless of where I am now, I can approach most topics, hopefully reasoning out in my own fashion unemotional responses and looking a what is.

I will always try to defend and explain my position without falling into answering with "because, because". If you note almost all my post rarely throw any player under the bus
Lol

Reactions: DarrenX and rypper

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Kind of surprised so many obvious cuts are still up, but I wonder if they are waiting for all the teams to waive their waiver eligible players to try and sneak people through.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Kind of surprised so many obvious cuts are still up, but I wonder if they are waiting for all the teams to waive their waiver eligible players to try and sneak people through.
Probably plan to run more intense practices and need extra bodies to actually go through with the next preseason game. Don’t think we’ll see the full roster until the last game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad