Grigorenko and Zadorov vs ROR

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Sure i never said it was a bad trade for Colorado, I just don't think Greer has enough talent to become a regular NHL'er. That being said he's a net front presence (and he goes to the dirty areas), he has a good shot and obviously he's big.. so who knows. Maybe he'll have a role as a bottom 6'er.

Girgorenko I've never been a fan of, albeit i didn't see him play much last season but i dont think he did a complete 180 from his time in Buffalo. I like Morrison and Zadorov.. Compher I'm not sure about so I won't comment on him, he has good numbers (in the NCAA) and looked good at the World Championships, so he does look promising.

Man oh man, you're on a roll today. He looked fantastic for Huskies, especially in the playoffs where he played like man possessed, made jumps from NCAA to Q to A in one season and did well, but he won't become an NHLer.

And you've only seen Grigorenko when he was misused horribly by the brilliant minds that were coaching Buffalo, yet you have the need to lecture everyone on him, having no idea how much different he looks.

I think that TT1 is allowed to have his own evaluation of Greer whether anyone feels if it's correct or not. Everyone sees things differently and with young players we won't know for a while what they will become.

While I personally like the way Greer has played since getting drafted, I'm not convinced his NHL role will be that of a top-6 forward. In fact, I think he'll be more suited for a 3rd line role as a player with good size, who gets under people's skin all the while putting up his share of points. Those guys are still very important to a club like the Avs, who don't currently have a ton of those big physical wingers. He's got a great work ethic, so I think he's got a pretty good shot at becoming an NHLer in that capacity.

Grigorenko has changed a lot since his time in junior, I can't speak too much from his time with the Sabres because I only saw him a few times. I can only say that he's a lot different than what I expected. I was pretty confident that we were getting a 'top-6 or bust' type of player, a guy that wasn't able/or willing to adapt his game to play lower down in the lineup and someone who was a defensive liability. Turns out, that hasn't been the case at all with the Avs. He started last year on the 4th line and gradually worked his way up to the top-6. Nothing was handed to him, he had to earn it. He needed to improve his skating and while he may still need to get better there, he's not slow out there at all. This season is going to be a big test for him but 35-40 points isn't out of the question, imo.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm not confident either Compher or Greer will be top 6 guys, but I am confident that they will be NHLers who positively impact their team when they are on the ice. But with Zads & Greg progressing as they have I'm very pleased with the deal from an avs perspective even if JTC & AJG end up just being good bottom-6ers. Still sucks that the club's hand was forced to make a ROR trade, but I couldn't be happier with the return.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The net result of the trade is really.....

O'Reilly+McGinn for Soderberg+Grigorenko+Zadorov+Compher+Greer+Morrison

Soderberg's signing doesn't happen without O'Reilly being moved.

I think Colorado did as good as they could given the situation, but I'd still take O'Reilly at 7.5M per over that haul. Especially now that Colorado might lose one of Grigorenko or Soderberg to the expansion draft. O'Reilly is a stud. Legit two way 1C. At 7.5M he is only 2M more expensive than Soderberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad