Gretzky won his 4th and final Cup at 27. McDavid will be 28 without a Cup

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
McDavid showed he's got the tools to put up legendary point totals and go to the near end.

But, he's got to learn how to get pissed off at the end and not pout about a Conn Smythe.
Take that TML (eternal loser) trophy and stick it to everyone next year.

im-as-mad-as-hell-and-im-not-gonna-take-this-anymore.gif

It's what separates the Crosbys from the Bryzgalovs.

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Gretzky played in an era that only had 20 teams and goalies tried to makes saves standing straight up.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
That would require the takes to be wrong, which doesn’t happen often.
You've been downplaying/pissing on the team and it's players all season long. Wrong on every single post about the Oilers up until the last possible day of the season. Now that's pretty embarrassing, even moreso if you're delusional enough to think being wrong "doesn't happen often". How do fellow Canuck fans not plead with you to stop embarrassing them?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I'm not the biggest McDavid fan but the Oilers of this era have done an abysmal job of surrounding McDavid. Hell we could say even this year they went to the cup with a large amount of luck. While even without Wayne, the 80s Oilers were an All Star Team. They won one without him.

Both Wayne and Mario were part of great organizations in their prime. I guess a closer comparison could be Sid but again he had better players, a better goalie in Fleury and a true offensive D quarterback in Letang.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
You've been downplaying/pissing on the team and it's players all season long. Wrong on every single post about the Oilers up until the last possible day of the season. Now that's pretty embarrassing, even moreso if you're delusional enough to think being wrong "doesn't happen often". How do fellow Canuck fans not plead with you to stop embarrassing them?
So you’re saying McDavid is more like me than Gretzky :naughty:

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
It's amusing that the best player in the NHL still isn't good enough by some peoples standards.

These are the same people who think trading all their players for a never ending pool of picks will somehow create a tangible forest of Stanley cups growing out of the ground, until they are mad at those players and demand they be traded for more of these magical picks that while seemingly flawless and mystical always keep letting them down by turning into hockey players who could never be good enough, I mean how could they? Not even McDavid is good enough lol

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Yzerman didn't win his first until he was 31 and he went on to win 3 cups. McDavid still has a good ten years left.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
Using "Cups won by age" as some sort of ranking metric is the absolute dumbest thing possible.

Using Cups in general is stupid, because it is obviously a team award for a sport that cannot be dominated by individual players, but adding age into that mix is just next-level stupid.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Can we stop with the comparisons now? Conn Smythe also should have gone to a Panther, dude no showed in the last 2 games.
Did you watch the games or stare at the stat sheet ? He was the best player on the ice by far, just some bad puck luck. Also he had almost 2x as many points as Barkov, comical to suggest he shouldn't have won MVP, nobody else was even remotely close.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm not the biggest McDavid fan but the Oilers of this era have done an abysmal job of surrounding McDavid. Hell we could say even this year they went to the cup with a large amount of luck. While even without Wayne, the 80s Oilers were an All Star Team. They won one without him.

Both Wayne and Mario were part of great organizations in their prime. I guess a closer comparison could be Sid but again he had better players, a better goalie in Fleury and a true offensive D quarterback in Letang.
I really don't know where this narrative that McDavid is on an island, or has it worse than Crosby comes from.

Draisaitl is an all-time playoff producer. Bouchard broke Coffey's record for most assists in a playoff run. Hyman has the most goals in a playoff run since Sakic. Nuge is a versatile two-way center/wing who scored 100 points a year ago and has 32 points in his last 33 playoff games. That's without even mentioning Ekholm, Henrique, Foegele, Kane, etc. This isn't a great supporting cast?

Do people conveniently forget that the Pens won a Cup against the powerhouse defending champs when their scoring wingers were Kunitz, Guerin, Fedotenko, and Talbot?

Last edited:

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Lol haters gonna hate. No one was ever comparing him to Gretzky or Lemieux just saying he reached Gretzky & Lemieux’s playoff record breaking stats in this era, unbelievable accomplishment. Puts him over his comparables in Crosby, Ovechkin & Jagr. Still needs a Stanley Cup but has plenty of time to get it, will likely finish top 5 all time if he does.

That's an obvious lie. I guess you don't read many threads around here? People are ALWAYS comparing McDavid to the other greats. And yes, McDavid is a great, but not the greatest. Where he ends up on the all time list, I don't know. He still has some years left to add to his legacy.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I very much wanted Oilers to lose this Final but I will praise McDavid's performance this post-season for all time.

Yes he is still without a Cup ring but 42 points this run, a career 1.60 PPG in the playoffs with 95 points in 52 games over the past 3 playoffs. I mean, seriously, this is not on him. At some point the team around him has to do enough to push the group over the hump.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Don’t bother, dude. He’s not really even a hockey fan.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Watch McDavid sign in LA and win 4 in 5 years. Just pull a reverse Gretzky. The prophecy will be complete.
He will go to Toronto and win a single cup. After that he will be regarded as better than Gretzky

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
What is this crusade against McDavid on these boards?
It's because of nonsense like this thread:

If people are going to engage in ridiculous hyperbole when praising McDavid, then the reaction to it will be ridiculous hyperbole when criticizing McDavid.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
His closest comparable is Crosby. Not Gretzky
To that end .. Crosby won his last Cup at 29.

I do think time is running short, at least for McDavid as an Oiler. They have some flaws to address and limited cap room in which to do so. If they're unable to break through and win a Cup by the time McDavid's contract is up, he'd probably be wise to take a salary discount and go elsewhere to get it.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I don't think he will. Toronto is killing that narrative every time they fail to make it out of the first round.
Oh it definitely won’t happen, if he can’t win in Edmonton I doubt he stays North of the border

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
To that end .. Crosby won his last Cup at 29.

I do think time is running short, at least for McDavid as an Oiler. They have some flaws to address and limited cap room in which to do so. If they're unable to break through and win a Cup by the time McDavid's contract is up, he'd probably be wise to take a salary discount and go elsewhere to get it.
He would be, but I am willing to wager money that if Draisaitl re-ups in Edmonton, so will McDavid.

I feel like they are somewhat a package deal. You’re either signing both or they are both walking

All likely comes down to what Drai does. If one stays they both stay. If one goes they both go.
Beat me to it lol, read my last message in here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad