Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Some estimated roster:

http://www.griffinshockey.com/team/roster/

2016-17 player ---> change for 2017-18

LW Eric Tangradi
C Ben Street
RW Mitchell Callahan ------> C/LW Turner Elson (from San Antonio, AHL)

LW Matt Lorito
C Kyle Criscuolo ----------> C Corey Elkins (from FEL)
RW Evgeny Svechnikov

LW Tyler Bertuzzi
C Tomas Nosek ---------> C Axel Holmström (from SEL)
RW Martin Frk

LW Matthew Ford
C Dominic Turgeon
RW Colin Campbell

5th line:
LW Dylan Sadowy
Louis-Marc Aubry --------> C Luke Esposito (from NCAA)
Mike Borkowski ----------> RW Dominik Shine (from NCAA)

ECHL Based:
C/RW Zach Nastasiuk

Lines are not set in stone (they are those used at playoffs), just kept it simple to see the changes. It's as possible as any of the 5th line to be on that 1st line with Tangradi and Street, like Sadowy, who plays very "Callahan" -game. I don't know anything about the level of those NCAA guys. Elson could be ECHL -level guy, who knows.

Defence:

1. RD Nick Jensen (promoted in NHL) ------------> RD Filip Hronek
2. LD Nathan Paetsch (left the team) ----------> RD Vili Saarijärvi
3. LD Brian Lashoff
4. RD Robbie Russo
5. RD Dylan McIlrath
6. LD Joe Hicketts
7. LD Dan Renouf
8. LD Conor Allen (left team) -------------> RD Patrick McCarron
9. RD Matt Caito (ECHL help, did leave to Iowa)

Looks crowded as always. But some LD missing, so maybe they plan a spot for Cholowski.

G Jared Coreau
G Eddie Pasquale ---> Matej Machovsky
G Cal Heeter --> Tom McCollum
G Pat Nagle

Last edited:

Caddy

Mar 4, 2016
Vancouver
Gonna definitely wait to see how the Wings handle their current cap situation before making guesses about the exact lineup, but there are a few key things that can affect the Griffins.

With Nosek and Criscuolo leaving there are open spots as the 2nd and 3rd line centres. The hope is that Holmstrom can fill that 2C spot, but that's still probably a major blow to their offensive depth as well as the power play. Elkins had a 0.56 PPG in Liiga last season (and only 4 goals) and Elson has been a 1/2 PPG player in the AHL his entire career, not confident either will be that impactful.

Also with Bertuzzi/Svechnikov likely getting long term looks in the NHL, their winger depth will be pretty shady at times this season. Hopefully that'll give opportunity for guys like Sadowy/Nastasiuk to prove they're actually worth something, if not then oh well.

With a fully healthy team, the defence is a bit of a logjam that might cause some ice time issues for Hronek/Saarijarvi. With Russo, McIlrath, Hicketts and Lashoff all looking like they're gonna play every game they can, that leaves 2 spots for Saarijarvi, Hronek, Renouf and McCarron. I hope that Nelson puts the development of the prospects higher in importance than playing Renouf.

Also there's really no room for Cholowski on the team, 8D when fully stocked does not bode well for a player who was a #4 guy in the NCAA last season. Cholowski's talented, but needs a season in the WHL before he goes to GR full time.

Lastly, the goal crease is a bit crowded. With the addition of McCollum, Machovsky seems Toledo bound. Given his numbers in Europe I was expecting him to back up Coreau, he seems too good for the ECHL. Might indicate that Holland's trying to move a goalie, or he'll just play in Toledo to replace Paterson (which is an odd swap).

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
My guess is Turgeon fills a 2-3 C position with Holmström starting the season as the 4C with PP time. I may be a minority but I like Renouf as he progressed as the season went on and his development is important too, though some have written him off. I think Saarijarvi, Hronek, Cholowsky and McCarron have to earn their spot or be assigned elsewhere to get ice time to develop

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Some estimated roster:

LW Eric Tangradi
C Ben Street

LW Matt Lorito
RW Evgeny Svechnikov

LW Tyler Bertuzzi
RW Martin Frk

LW Matthew Ford
C Dominic Turgeon
RW Colin Campbell

5th line:
LW Dylan Sadowy

ECHL Based:
C/RW Zach Nastasiuk

Lines are not set in stone (they are those used at playoffs), just kept it simple to see the changes. It's as possible as any of the 5th line to be on that 1st line with Tangradi and Street, like Sadowy, who plays very "Callahan" -game. I don't know anything about the level of those NCAA guys. Elson could be ECHL -level guy, who knows.

Defence:

3. LD Brian Lashoff
4. RD Robbie Russo
5. RD Dylan McIlrath
6. LD Joe Hicketts
7. LD Dan Renouf
9. RD Matt Caito (ECHL help)

Looks crowded as always. But some LD missing, so maybe they plan a spot for Cholowski.

G Jared Coreau

Idk if those number rankings are supposed to be a depth chart, but i doubt very much that Hronek and Saarijarvi are above Lashoff, Russo, Renouf, and McIlrath on the GR depth chart at the moment.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Idk if those number rankings are supposed to be a depth chart, but i doubt very much that Hronek and Saarijarvi are above Lashoff, Russo, Renouf, and McIlrath on the GR depth chart at the moment.

They are not. Just counting amount of players to see the every year repeat of "overcrowding".

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
They are not. Just counting amount of players to see the every year repeat of "overcrowding".

Well... I do think one of Hronek or Saarijarvi will start in the press box.

And I do think Lashoff, McIlrath, Renouf, Russo/Hicketts will start as the top 4....

We will see how long that lasts though.

Last edited:

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Some estimated roster:

LW Eric Tangradi
C Ben Street

LW Matt Lorito
RW Evgeny Svechnikov

LW Tyler Bertuzzi
RW Martin Frk

LW Matthew Ford
C Dominic Turgeon
RW Colin Campbell

5th line:
LW Dylan Sadowy

ECHL Based:
C/RW Zach Nastasiuk

Defence:

3. LD Brian Lashoff
4. RD Robbie Russo
5. RD Dylan McIlrath
6. LD Joe Hicketts
7. LD Dan Renouf
9. RD Matt Caito (ECHL help)

G Jared Coreau

A couple very minor details/questions:

1. On your current D list - Caito signed an AHL deal with Iowa this off-season. Not a big loss.

2. Pat Nagle (goaltender) is on an AHL deal with the Griffins, but seems likely to be an ECHL bound guy.

3. Is Libor Sulak going back overseas if he fails to make the Wings?

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site

1. On your current D list - Caito signed an AHL deal with Iowa this off-season. Not a big loss.

2. Pat Nagle (goaltender) is on an AHL deal with the Griffins, but seems likely to be an ECHL bound guy.

1. Didn't know that, thanks.

2. Is he any good?

3. Yes, from what I understand.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yeah, Caito was mentioned just as a member of last season roster....

I'll add Nagle.

Sulak has been informed he will stay at Pelicans Lahti in Finland, if he doesn't make on Red Wings roster... kind of 0.1% probablility. :)

What I know about Elkins (from his Finland years) he is very strong on Faceoffs and plays "Nosek-styled" game if compare for somebody from last season. Used both on PP and PK. I could see him as a replacement for him, more than Holmström. Also, hasn't Lorito been former center, but was last season at wing? So there's options.

Last edited:

firebirds11

Mar 1, 2017
Couple of things...

1. I don't believe Colin Campbell is signed for next year.
2. Grand Rapids signed Mike Borkowski on August 7
3. Grand Rapids signed Kevin Tansey on August 11

As a Toledo Walleye fan, who do I get to look forward to? Nagle, Machovsky likely for goalies. Wonder what forwards out of Nastasiuk, Sadowy, Borkowski, Esposito? Out of defensemen: Villi, McCarron, or Tansey?

Guess it depends on the health and if there are any more signings..

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
woohoo - Walleyes signed Tyler Barnes

GRG usually keep 8 D during the 1st part of the season so I don't see anyone but McCarren or maybe Tansey going to TW unless DRW has to put waivers on Spoul and he makes it through. I could see Shine in Toledo if Bert is in GRG and Campbell signed

firebirds11

Mar 1, 2017
woohoo - Walleyes signed Tyler Barnes

GRG usually keep 8 D during the 1st part of the season so I don't see anyone but McCarren or maybe Tansey going to TW unless DRW has to put waivers on Spoul and he makes it through. I could see Shine in Toledo if Bert is in GRG and Campbell signed

Right.

1) Lashoff
2) Hronek
3) Russo
4) McIlrath
5) Hicketts
6) Renouf

7) and 8) will be between Villi, McCarron, and Tansey. So Toledo will get one of those. But do they really want Hronek and Villi being healthy scratched almost every game?

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Right.

1) Lashoff
2) Hronek
3) Russo
4) McIlrath
5) Hicketts
6) Renouf

7) and 8) will be between Villi, McCarron, and Tansey. So Toledo will get one of those. But do they really want Hronek and Villi being healthy scratched almost every game?

I imagine Russo will be up for about 40 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad