Waived: Goodrow waived (claimed by San Jose Sharks)

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Free agents won't come here unless they get a full NMC and Drury doesn't like giving them out. No GM should.
Guess we won't be seeing any FAs in the near future.....after what Drury inherited and is now dealing with, he will go through Dante's 9 circles of hell before even considering giving one.

mti79

May 11, 2007
Seems like a no risk move. If someone claims him, you free up the entire contract. If not, well maybe it starts a conversation where the rangers add something or retain some money.

No matter what happens, seems safe to say that he won't be on the roster next year.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Looking forward to replacing his A with two guys wearing an A.
I think the time has come that they should shake up the leadership core . It's time to have Schneider/Laf and Trocheck as A's and Fox with the C . That should be more than enough and I tend to think that letter will make Schneider and Laf even better . Basically.....turning the page on things . Those boys will be our leaders.....they are ready now . Let them lead the charge !

Reactions: cheech70

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Guess we won't be seeing any FAs in the near future.....after what Drury inherited and is now dealing with, he will go through Dante's 9 circles of hell before even considering giving one.
Most of this is by Drury's design, he signed Z, Fox, Goodrow, Troch, and kept bridging RFAs. The only 2 long term contract he didn't sign was Kreider & Trouba, and IIRC a majority of the fan base here were stoked on that deal. Drury is currently paying for his horrible first summer as GM. He's turned around a lot, and has done some great moves since then but man that summer set things back.
Trading Buch then needing to trade those assets to other teams to replace Buch.
Constantly trading picks to find that magical partner.
Signing Nemeth, then having to trade picks to get rid of that deal.
Signing Tindori (thank you Chi for claiming him)
Signing Goodrow and now most likely having to buy out that contract (plus whether you liked them or not Goodrow cost NYR at least one of Tank or Kane for another season).

I initially didn't hate all these moves(except Buch, I was a fan of him). I personally thought they made sense Nemeth to hopefully mentor Lundkvist. Goodrow to bring in a winning culture. Hell I didn't even mind the cap hits, what got me was the term on all those deals. All were at least 2 years too long. And to be honest I said the same thing with Troch. That was a fantastic signing but couldn't believe 7 years. I will gladly eat crow on that one all day long and I'm stoked here's here for that long.

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
Ok, good. A step in the right direction. I was starting to really question if this is a serious franchise or not. Going to need to see some more move. If they somehow get rid of Trouba, then I know Drury is serious about winning.
And Lindgren unless he takes a hometown discount.

Hard to imagine there's not a young team out there that doesnt grab Goody.

I think this may indicate the Rangers are going big game hunting this off season.
With that contract?

Reactions: RangersFan

DevilDog99

May 5, 2018
Still a 4th line player making 3.6M for another 3 years.

If someone claims him that opens a lot more money for us to fill much needed holes on the team, like on defense.

I'm fine with this. But I also don't think anyone claims him so it likely won't matter anyway.
In the playoffs, Zibinajad is a fourth liner making 8.5. Lets be honest- stats AND eyetest says that line was BY FAR the worst in the playoffs.

Ditto for Panarin to a much lesser degree. Do you guys actually want the cup or just names to route for?

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
How about this for a thought?

Maybe Drury and Columbus continue to make moves together and this waiver is part of a Laine trade? Maybe Goodrow didn't have them on his list, we drop 3.6 in salary to them via waivers they retain a little bit and we get Laine in a deal.

Reactions: surlysailor

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
With that contract?
3x$3.6m isn't 'that' bad with the cap heading past $90m soon. Especially if you also assume you can move him at the TDL in the last season if it doesn't work out.
If his NTC doesn't move with him I can imagine there'd be a few teams at least curious about acquiring him

Reactions: gabevh3

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016

Maybe Drury and Columbus continue to make moves together and this waiver is part of a Laine trade? Maybe Goodrow didn't have them on his list, we drop 3.6 in salary to them via waivers they retain a little bit and we get Laine in a deal.
This would be interesting. Didn’t realize how young Laine still was.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site

Laine would need to pull off a Marian Gaborik miracle to help us win a cup. I have a really hard time believing this is the player that is gonna help push us over the top.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
In the playoffs, Zibinajad is a fourth liner making 8.5. Lets be honest- stats AND eyetest says that line was BY FAR the worst in the playoffs.

Ditto for Panarin to a much lesser degree. Do you guys actually want the cup or just names to route for?
They were both horrible too, but yea, Goodrows 40% shoot percentage isn't going to be sustainable. He had a few good shots, fact is he still is a 4th line player. We can spend his 3.6M on improving the team.

Reactions: gabevh3

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
They were both horrible too, but yea, Goodrows 40% shoot percentage isn't going to be sustainable. He had a few good shots, fact is he still is a 4th line player. We can spend his 3.6M on improving the team.
Recency bias is a helluva thing. Which goodrow do you think is the real one 8 pts in 16 games or 2 points in 16 games the previous 2 season. lol

Also as bad as z was he still had 16 pts in 16 games and 4 in 7 last year. His issue is he thinks he has to be this shutdown c instead of the shoot first c that he was his first few years here. He gets in his own head about it.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad