News Article: Goaltending future lacks certainty for Florida Panthers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Well I dont think we have to worry about goaltending for the next few seasons. We can always add goaltending in the upcoming drafts, and through free agency/trades. I would have liked to see them go after Demko this year, but we could always address our depth next summer.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
Well I dont think we have to worry about goaltending for the next few seasons. We can always add goaltending in the upcoming drafts, and through free agency/trades. I would have liked to see them go after Demko this year, but we could always address our depth next summer.

Yep, always time. However, considering most of these guys are drafted at 18, the Panthers should start getting some sort of idea of who could potentially be that guy in the future. Personally, just based on potential I think Cowley could make it someday if he keeps developing. He's far from a sure thing though.

Erick*

The Panthers goaltending future looks just fine to me. Roberto Luongo is pretty good at his job fortunately.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I think it's just fine and on par with league average, not a lot of teams have a sure looking future number 1 in the AHL:

Boston, Subban.
Dallas, Campbell.
Tampa, Vasilevsky (maybe, considering he's yet to play a single game in NA).

The rest is just okay looking AHL goalies, that might never reach the higher level. Predicting a goalie's ceiling is a real crapshoot and writing off any of the guys that are currently in the system would be foolish.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Honestly, getting the going-to-retire-here-Luongo back kinda halted our chances of getting any kind of current proven future talent type, like Cam Talbot…this uncertainty will stay an uncertainty for a couple years IMO.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I think it's just fine and on par with league average, not a lot of teams have a sure looking future number 1 in the AHL:

Boston, Subban.
Dallas, Campbell.

The rest is just okay looking AHL goalies, that might never reach the higher level. Predicting a goalie's ceiling is a real crapshoot and writing off any of the guys that are currently in the system would be foolish.

Aside from a few guy that probably should be starting instead of backing up, no kidding!

Why the hell did we let Timmy go anyway???

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Well I don't have a link from three months ago, but it was common knowledge after we acquired Luongo. He doesn't like Louie. He was also a UFA. He's also 40. Do we really need anymore reasons?

Yea, I remember he specifically said he didn't want to go, that this team reminded him of what the Bs were before they took off. Never saw him come out and say he doesn't like Lu and he wanted out, I'm sure I've seen the common knowledge stuff and that wasn't part of it. His age wasn't a problem except for his own monetary gain. UFA? Could've been given an option to resign...he unarguably earned it in his time here.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
Yea, I remember he specifically said he didn't want to go, that this team reminded him of what the Bs were before they took off. Never saw him come out and say he doesn't like Lu and he wanted out, I'm sure I've seen the common knowledge stuff and that wasn't part of it. His age wasn't a problem except for his own monetary gain. UFA? Could've been given an option to resign...he unarguably earned it in his time here.

His rift with Luongo has been very well documented in the past, dating back to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2010-2011. Once the Panthers acquired Luongo, Tallon had a sit down meeting with Thomas to discuss what he wanted to do, as he was obviously going to back-up Luongo. That wasn't OK with Tim and he wanted to be traded, thus he was sent to Dallas. This was also documented on newspaper articles at the time of the Luongo trade. Also, Thomas was not in the Panther's long-term plans... can't see why we would want him back.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL

Boston, Subban.
Dallas, Campbell.

I don't think anyone is writing then off, but all of them are still considered long-term projects with not a lot of hype. Most teams around the league have at least 1 G under 25 who's either in the NHL, AHL or projected to be great.

One of these guys with the panthers may become something, but no one can be considered "that guy"

Point was that there's a lot of guys all on the same "maybe" plateau and hopefully one of them rises to the occasion.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
So Gaiduchenko wasn't invited I guess this guy will never be given a chance. Probably will always just be a KHLer.

He probably wants a guarantee of an NHL job. Something the Panthers won't give him. I gave up on him like 3 years ago. Good talent, but it will never happen for him here.

Aksu

We did it.
Nov 10, 2013
Finland
These news articles can take a ****.

Coop wrote it, take it easy man.

I gotta agree with Coop though, we don't have a blue chip prospect (was Marky one?) at the moment. But you never know if one of our ahl/college goalies aren't just career ahl goalies and become good nhl goalies. We can't predict the future.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
Coop wrote it, take it easy man.

I gotta agree with Coop though, we don't have a blue chip prospect (was Marky one?) at the moment. But you never know if one of our ahl/college goalies aren't just career ahl goalies and become good nhl goalies. We can't predict the future.

Marky was considered the guy pretty much from the day he got drafted, but that obviously didn't pan out. I know the team wanted to trade back into the 2nd to get Demko, but couldn't get ahead of VAN who they knew would take him. So clearly they are looking for a guy they can feel pretty confident in.

One of these guys may and hopefully become a star, but having a blue chip guy would give the team more peace of mind.

Last edited:

Panteras

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 14, 2009
It’s only 3-0 who cares
He probably wants a guarantee of an NHL job. Something the Panthers won't give him. I gave up on him like 3 years ago. Good talent, but it will never happen for him here.

you really think so? I don't see how it's realistic for him to fathom such a request at all. Being that we have Lungo/Montoya and he's never even played a game in NA.

I'd figure if we offered him a contract it's something he'd take because what is realistic for him is to be able to fight for a back up job, perhaps Montoya would still keep it because of his experience even if Gaiduchenko outplays him in preseason. But having to be in the AHL I would also figure it's something he'd have to understand as his first step in NA…not to mention IF he ever has the ambition to play in NA it'll be with whatever we offer him.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
Informative article.

There are a few teams with a glut of goaltending prospects. Perhaps we can swap a skater for a blue-ish chip goalie prospect.

Or there's always the 2015 draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad