GMMG's trades thus far?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Are GMMG's trades up to and including the Ceci trade absolute dogshit or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Well? What's it gonna be?

All of them up to this point... One grade, pass or fail. This was spurred on by the Ceci thread.

You don't get to change your mind on this one, votes are public. You have 4 days until the poll closes.

Haha schools should move to this Dogshit or Not Dogshit grading system instead of pass/fail. :sarcasm:

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Burns trade -- C+/B-, trending weaker, and 8/10 important. Felt like we didn't get back as much as we wanted, but we also didn't know if there was a market. Burns has held up better than we thought. Still, NMC made it harder.

EK trade -- A-/B+, trending stronger and 10/10 important. In a fair world, maybe the Norris winner returns more. But in actuality, his contract STILL sucked (and still sucks for PIT), and many could see that adding EK wasn't actually a very good idea onto that PIT team. We got back three cap dumps that should have all been awful, but actually Granlund held down our 1C spot in the absence of Couture. The 1st rounder turned into our top D prospect who is respected near-universally. NMC made it harder.

Walman trade - A+ and 7/10 important. I place it here because it enabled moving up from 14 to 11 for Dickinson. Also we got our top LD.

Trading up from 14 to 11 - A+ and 8/10 important. Gave us a shot at either Buium or Dickinson, obviously well gameplanned by the scout team.

Meier trade - A-/B+ trending stronger and 9/10 important. At the time, many were sad we didn't get Holtz -- but looking back, Zetterlund + Mukh look like a better get. Okhotiuk ended up where we expected although we even got an asset out of him selling "high" or as high as was possible. And the 1st rounder turned into Musty, which is a home run so far.

Hertl trade - B+ trending stronger and 9/10 important. We lost our best player and a fan favorite, but he's got injury woes, didn't look all that great in the few games he did play, and his contract absolutely won't look great in a few years, therefore saddling a hated enemy with a difficult problem soon enough. We got their best prospect (who either is trending well or could be moved for assets) and an unprotected 1st this coming year which looks to be well positioned for a middle-pair D pick in the mid to late 1st. NMC made it harder.

Ceci/Emberson trade - F to those who thought there wasn't a market for Oilers -- C+ to B+ for anyone else, depending on your POV on Emberson. 5/10 important. F = "they had no leverage, he should have held out for a 1st, definitely not send an asset back." B+ or higher = "turned a waiver pickup with uncertain future into a 3rd and a veteran durable RD who will likely return another 2-4th in 8 months." I say closer to B-/B than F or A.

Grundstrom for Burroughs - A- and 3/10 important.

Wiesblatt - Afanayasev - B and 0/10 important.

Ty Dellandrea - A and 6/10 important, could trend stronger. I have good feelings about this one.

Devin Cooley - B and 1/10 important.

Kahkonen for Vanacek and 7th - B- and 2/10 important.

Okhotiuk for a 5th - A and 1/10 important.

Klim Kostin for Simek and a 7th - B+ and 3/10 important.

Duke and a 7th for Thompson and a 3rd - A- and 4/10 important.

Studnicka - B- and 2/10 important.

Addison for Raska and a 5th - A- (at the time) and 4/10 important (at the time) - trending more meaningless

Kniazev for Gawanke - B? who cares? 1/10 or 0/10 important.

Duke for Lorentz and a 5th - B, 4/10 important

Henriksson for Bonino - I don't even remember it, no grade

Namestnikov - Eyssimont - etc. trade -- sounds like some think this was a BIG DEAL but in retrospect I can only grade it as a 2 or 3/10 and no opinion

Thrun for a 3rd - B, trending stronger, possibly up to 5/10 important but at the time probably 3/10.

Megna for a 4th -- maybe not great value, but I don't have a strong opinion. C or C-, but 2/10 important.

Kaut and McDonald for Merkley and Nieto - I dunno, C, 2/10 who cares

Weatherby for Criscuolo, who cares 0/10 important

Adin Hill for a 4th -- at the time, B-, trending worse with his performance and winning the cup. Maybe a C, C-, D. 5/10 important because f*** the VGK but ultimately was it that important for the franchise? 3/10.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Burns trade -- C+/B-, trending weaker, and 8/10 important. Felt like we didn't get back as much as we wanted, but we also didn't know if there was a market. Burns has held up better than we thought. Still, NMC made it harder.

EK trade -- A-/B+, trending stronger and 10/10 important. In a fair world, maybe the Norris winner returns more. But in actuality, his contract STILL sucked (and still sucks for PIT), and many could see that adding EK wasn't actually a very good idea onto that PIT team. We got back three cap dumps that should have all been awful, but actually Granlund held down our 1C spot in the absence of Couture. The 1st rounder turned into our top D prospect who is respected near-universally. NMC made it harder.

Walman trade - A+ and 7/10 important. I place it here because it enabled moving up from 14 to 11 for Dickinson. Also we got our top LD.

Trading up from 14 to 11 - A+ and 8/10 important. Gave us a shot at either Buium or Dickinson, obviously well gameplanned by the scout team.

Meier trade - A-/B+ trending stronger and 9/10 important. At the time, many were sad we didn't get Holtz -- but looking back, Zetterlund + Mukh look like a better get. Okhotiuk ended up where we expected although we even got an asset out of him selling "high" or as high as was possible. And the 1st rounder turned into Musty, which is a home run so far.

Hertl trade - B+ trending stronger and 9/10 important. We lost our best player and a fan favorite, but he's got injury woes, didn't look all that great in the few games he did play, and his contract absolutely won't look great in a few years, therefore saddling a hated enemy with a difficult problem soon enough. We got their best prospect (who either is trending well or could be moved for assets) and an unprotected 1st this coming year which looks to be well positioned for a middle-pair D pick in the mid to late 1st. NMC made it harder.

Ceci/Emberson trade - F to those who thought there wasn't a market for Oilers -- C+ to B+ for anyone else, depending on your POV on Emberson. 5/10 important. F = "they had no leverage, he should have held out for a 1st, definitely not send an asset back." B+ or higher = "turned a waiver pickup with uncertain future into a 3rd and a veteran durable RD who will likely return another 2-4th in 8 months." I say closer to B-/B than F or A.

Grundstrom for Burroughs - A- and 3/10 important.

Wiesblatt - Afanayasev - B and 0/10 important.

Ty Dellandrea - A and 6/10 important, could trend stronger. I have good feelings about this one.

Devin Cooley - B and 1/10 important.

Kahkonen for Vanacek and 7th - B- and 2/10 important.

Okhotiuk for a 5th - A and 1/10 important.

Klim Kostin for Simek and a 7th - B+ and 3/10 important.

Duke and a 7th for Thompson and a 3rd - A- and 4/10 important.

Studnicka - B- and 2/10 important.

Addison for Raska and a 5th - A- (at the time) and 4/10 important (at the time) - trending more meaningless

Kniazev for Gawanke - B? who cares? 1/10 or 0/10 important.

Duke for Lorentz and a 5th - B, 4/10 important

Henriksson for Bonino - I don't even remember it, no grade

Namestnikov - Eyssimont - etc. trade -- sounds like some think this was a BIG DEAL but in retrospect I can only grade it as a 2 or 3/10 and no opinion

Thrun for a 3rd - B, trending stronger, possibly up to 5/10 important but at the time probably 3/10.

Megna for a 4th -- maybe not great value, but I don't have a strong opinion. C or C-, but 2/10 important.

Kaut and McDonald for Merkley and Nieto - I dunno, C, 2/10 who cares

Weatherby for Criscuolo, who cares 0/10 important

Adin Hill for a 4th -- at the time, B-, trending worse with his performance and winning the cup. Maybe a C, C-, D. 5/10 important because f*** the VGK but ultimately was it that important for the franchise? 3/10.
So, not dogshit.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The trades that actually matter (Karlsson, Meier, Hertl) were great. The trades that aren't like to have any real impact on the franchise moving forward were just fine. The only trade that was outright bad was Burns, and frankly I just don't think there was any market for him at all after his poor 2022 season with his NTC and Grier did him a solid by moving him to a contender.

I think people just want to be mad sometimes.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Wasn’t it the jersey pick we used to move up?
I guess I meant indirectly, because we got a pick to use in the 2nd, and sent the other pick away to move up from 14 to 11. I don't think that trade happens without us replenishing the 2nd, or at least less likely.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I guess I meant indirectly, because we got a pick to use in the 2nd, and sent the other pick away to move up from 14 to 11. I don't think that trade happens without us replenishing the 2nd, or at least less likely.
Not sure, but maybe? We still had our own.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
TLDR: Grier did great with Karlsson, Timo, and Hertl but did not do as well with Burns and Hill.

I've generally liked the moves he has made and I certainly appreciate that Grier clearly has a plan for building this team and this shows through the trades.

The worst trade he made in my opinion was the Burns trade but at the time the Sharks had no leverage and more often than not 37 year old professional athletes fall off quickly yet Burns has managed to stay an highly effective player at age 39. Lorentz was a good piece to acquire and we later flipped him for Duclair who was a lot of fun in teal and brought us a mid round pick and an intriguing RHD prospect. it is a real shame Makiniemi just could not stay healthy. I also think part of the reason for the Karlsson renaissance is because we traded away Burns and built the whole system around Karlsson.

With retrospect he seems to have made a mistake in trading Aiden Hill instead of Reimer or Kahkonen but I don't think Hill would have performed like he did in Vegas the same way he has done so in San Jose and goalies are voodoo.

I think the Karlsson trade is going be viewed as a masterful trade in a few years for us. The Karlsson trade is a lot like the OEL to Vancouver trade where we acquired a bunch of short term bad contracts but managed to get out of a contract that is headed towards being an albatross. I wouldn't be surprised if we traded Granlund for a good return as a rental at the deadline and I am hopeful we might get a 4th round pick for Rutta.

The Timo trade looks like a really promising deal for us. Zetterlund could probably net us a 1st if we traded him right now. Musty looks like he will be a stud and Muk seems to be developing well and I'm hopeful he can be a good 2nd pairing defender. We also used the NJ second to trade up to 11 and select Dickinson.

The Tomas Hertl trade hurt my soul but when the biggest criticism of a trade is coming from a place of emotion rather than a place of logic that is a good sign. This is another trade that I think will age beautifully as we got out of (most) of the Hertl contract, picked up a good prospect with Edstrom and an unprotected first round pick.

I think Grier has deliberately prioritized development of a player friendly reputation at the cost of extracting maximum value in some of the trades which has its benefits and drawbacks but I think this strategy could pay off in the longer term when he is trying to attract free agents to a non-traditional hockey market and should help with retaining our players. I am also excited to see the future moves Grier will make now that the team has salary cap flexibility. Vlasic only has a couple years left on his contract while Couture may end up LTIRetired. I've liked the tear down by Grier and the clear rebuilding direction of the trades and am hopeful for the future.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
The Kunin trade was pretty bad - we gave up a 3rd round pick and got stuck with Kunin.
True story. Nashville already traded the guy they got with that pick along with a 2nd rounder for another prospect.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Regarding the big deals, you have to assume that Grier took the best deal he got.

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Hard to say it’s been exclusively bad when we have trades like Hertl and Walman. Hard to say it’s been exclusively good when we have trades like Burns and Kunin.

I think what’s most important is he has the right approach and philosophy. You can afford to make mistakes if you have that (see Zito winning a Cup after trading a 1st to rent Ben Chiarot).

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Overall, pretty happy with the moves. Wish we'd moved Hill anywhere else. Burns trade return sucked, but getting a quality player out with an aging contract likely directly contributed to Smith, and may very well have contributed to Celebrini.

At the of the day, Burns, Karlsson, Meier, and Hertl's contracts are gone. Vlasic and Couture's will be gone when it's time to pay the new core, and they aren't good enough to ruin any tanking.

I hope we continue to see draft capital stocked by picking up solid players on bad contracts and signing upside guys who can develop with more minutes.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Hard to say it’s been exclusively bad when we have trades like Hertl and Walman. Hard to say it’s been exclusively good when we have trades like Burns and Kunin.
As much as I don't like Kunin, it wasn't really a big deal. Some failed smaller moves don't really matter, compared to the big moves (Burns, Meier, Karlsson, Hertl).

Reactions: Star Platinum

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast

chernobyl-not-great-not-terrible.gif

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

I think what’s most important is he has the right approach and philosophy. You can afford to make mistakes if you have that (see Zito winning a Cup after trading a 1st to rent Ben Chiarot).
Regarding the Burns trade, you have to assume that Grier made it publically known that Burns was available...and then given the incredibly tight cap and Burns's NMC, what else could he have done? Do you think Detroit was begging to trade him a first-round pick and he refused to do so because he hates Ford motors?

On top of that, Burns had to go...he didn't want to be in San Jose, and the Sharks needed his talent off the roster.

There's room to criticize Grier he makes trades for Kunin, or Ceci, or Goodrow...but with the blockbuster trades, this kind of criticism is unwarranted.

Reactions: Tw1ster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad