Post-Game Talk: GM 72: Canucks def. Preds - 2-0 (Jensen, Edler) EDDIE!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Of course the ship has sunk. It sank a couple of weeks ago. But you still have to play the games to win, otherwise you can pick up as many high draft picks as you want and still end up becoming Edmonton. The culture has to be "win every game".

I'm still resisting the urge to get all excited about Jensen. Remember: in Sven Baertschi's first 5 games with the Flames in 2012 he scored 3 goals and looked outstanding. Now he can't even make an awful Calgary roster that features Paul Byron as a first line winger.

We're going to want to wait until the end of the year and reassess then.

Certainly you always have to be wary of the lightning fast starts for young players and reading too much into it (for a recent example see Chiasson).

However, the problem with Baertschi hasn't been his skill level but rather his attitude and dedication to his craft. He quite simply hasn't been working on the aspects of his game that will keep him in the nhl long term. He's a 40 point pace player (50 games) in the NHL which is darn good really for a 21 year old....offensive skill isn't what is preventing him from being in the league. On the flip side with Jensen you see a guy who does appear to be making strides in other areas of his game to the point that those areas are becoming noticeable at the NHL level. It's that (still developing) defensive awareness that keeps a kid in the lineup of an NHL team. Unless you're a Sabre or Oiler. Those teams clearly don't care about that aspect of their young players game.

Guys like Jensen are also a reason why you don't "tank". You don't put kids (or any player) in a losing atmosphere for any longer than you have to. You don't want them to accept losing like I think many Oiler players have.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
However, the problem with Baertschi hasn't been his skill level but rather his attitude and dedication to his craft. He quite simply hasn't been working on the aspects of his game that will keep him in the nhl long term. He's a 40 point pace player (50 games) in the NHL which is darn good really for a 21 year old....offensive skill isn't what is preventing him from being in the league. On the flip side with Jensen you see a guy who does appear to be making strides in other areas of his game to the point that those areas are becoming noticeable at the NHL level. It's that (still developing) defensive awareness that keeps a kid in the lineup of an NHL team. Unless you're a Sabre or Oiler. Those teams clearly don't care about that aspect of their young players game.

Yep. Burke made the comment about Baertschi not being aware that there's two ends of the ice in his first presser with the Flames.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
It's a little tougher with a broken hand. I remember Ronning did it but that was during the finals in '94.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
If you're going to miss the playoffs do it with some ****ing dignity like we did tonight.

I'd rather pick 10th, 11th overall and have fought til the end over cheering for a higher pick. This isn't Edmonton, we don't have draft day parties y'all.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I like that the last few games. Jensen looks like the real deal, Burrows is not finished as a player. Henrik is still a shadow of himself, but atleast a producing shadow that may bounce back. I am not worried about Lack at all. He sometimes does not react well once scored against but that will come. He is atleast an average starting goalie with room and likelyhood of improvement. It is important for the players and fans to head into the summer with some optimism. There does not seem to be much agreement between the player 7 to 10 anyways i do not think the dropoff will be a Forsberg to Stonanov level. If they end the season playing half decent Torts might be given another chance, which with his use of young players is not a bad thing. Hopefully he can be convinced to play the Sedins 19 minutes a game again and give up on all players are equal b.s.. Was a boring game other than Jensen's shot but nice to see some bright spots.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
So nice to see Hank finally healthy and playing well again, I think both twins bounce back to PPG status next season if they stay healthy. If Torts is still here, hopefully he's learned a thing or two about managing ice time, although I'm not holding my breath.

Booth was terrible but that line still managed to be quite effective with Kassian and Richardson doing all the heavy lifting.

Lack was much more in control of his movements, cleaned up a lot of the poor habits that were creeping into his game on the road. Very solid.

Edler had another very good game.

Amused To Death

Nov 6, 2009
Victoria
I'd rather pick 10th, 11th overall and have fought til the end over cheering for a higher pick. This isn't Edmonton, we don't have draft day parties y'all.
Me and my friends have a draft party every year and it's a lot of fun. Usually we pick late so it's a "save the best for last" type show. Talk hockey for 2-3 hours, project the lineups, talk about how good or bad the year was, "What the hell was he thinking??" We are smarter than most in hindsight.

Last year, after we traded Schneider I had to play some consolation music for the boys...that was hard.

Last edited:

Wetcoaster

Canucks.com recap of the game:
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=710353

BTW each shutout Lack posts extends his franchise record.

LACKTASTIC: Eddie Lack's solid rookie campaign continued on Wednesday as he notched his fourth shutout of the season – his first of the post-Luongo era. Lack already holds the team franchise record for most shutouts by a rookie netminder after becoming the first Canucks' rookie to post three shutouts in a single campaign earlier this season. Three of Lack's four shutouts this season have come at Rogers Arena.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
It's a little tougher with a broken hand. I remember Ronning did it but that was during the finals in '94.

how did the story go? cliff ronning is open in the slot near the end of game 7 against the rangers and fans on the shot. after the game, he's in tears staring at his hand muttering "i froze, i froze." and the next day it comes out that he was playing with a broken hand.

man.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Hopefully in a year Jensen will make us forget about Andrew Shaw and Brandon Saad.

Man....Chicago's scouts are just that good.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
If you're going to miss the playoffs do it with some ****ing dignity like we did tonight.

This.

Play with some damn pride

Lundface*

on their 4th go.

Hahah yeah.

So good they thought McNeill, Danault and Clendening were more worthy of being selected. Perfect example of pick volume playing a bigger factor into drafting than even perhaps skill.

Had they taken Saad 18th I would give them respect. They had little idea what they had in Saad, if they did there is no way they take Clendening just 8 spots earlier.

MrShift4

GRRRR.......Babe
Aug 17, 2011
Calgary

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

This. This. This. A thousand times over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad