News Article: Globe - Sunday hockey notes Aug 8

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...5N/story.html?p1=Article_InThisSection_Bottom

For eight seasons, through personnel changes, adjustments, and trial and error, Claude Julien’s defensive system became one with the Bruins’ identity. The proof is in the results: 2.45 goals against per game in 2014-15 (No. 8 in the NHL), 2.08 in 2013-14 (No. 2), 2.21 in 2012-13 (No. 3), 2.43 in 2011-12 (No. 6), 2.30 in 2010-11 (No. 2), 2.33 in 2009-10 (No. 2), 2.32 in 2008-09 (No. 1), and 2.62 in 2007-08 (No. 11).

This fall, it will undergo its most significant transformation yet.

A month out from camp and new players (Matt Beleskey, Jimmy Hayes, Zac Rinaldo, Matt Irwin, Colin Miller) in place, Sweeney has a sharper idea of how game flow will proceed than when he was promoted. The questions are how far the transformation will go and whether the Bruins have the right mix to play this way.

“I think they have to,†said Sweeney, when asked if the defensemen will be skating more in 2015-16. “At times, we probably got a little bit too stationary on our breakouts. We need to be in motion a little bit. That means our forwards will be in motion a little bit, because teams were able to smother the walls, pinch, and pre-pinch.â€

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...5N/story.html?p1=Article_InThisSection_Bottom

For eight seasons, through personnel changes, adjustments, and trial and error, Claude Julien’s defensive system became one with the Bruins’ identity. The proof is in the results: 2.45 goals against per game in 2014-15 (No. 8 in the NHL), 2.08 in 2013-14 (No. 2), 2.21 in 2012-13 (No. 3), 2.43 in 2011-12 (No. 6), 2.30 in 2010-11 (No. 2), 2.33 in 2009-10 (No. 2), 2.32 in 2008-09 (No. 1), and 2.62 in 2007-08 (No. 11).

A month out from camp and new players (Matt Beleskey, Jimmy Hayes, Zac Rinaldo, Matt Irwin, Colin Miller) in place, Sweeney has a sharper idea of how game flow will proceed than when he was promoted. The questions are how far the transformation will go and whether the Bruins have the right mix to play this way.

“I think they have to,” said Sweeney, when asked if the defensemen will be skating more in 2015-16. “At times, we probably got a little bit too stationary on our breakouts. We need to be in motion a little bit. That means our forwards will be in motion a little bit, because teams were able to smother the walls, pinch, and pre-pinch.”

Well that must mean Colin has a great chance for making the team, please use it, because I mean how does K.Miller-Chara-Seidenberg-McQuaid-Irwin group fit into that plan?
That could be a nightmare for Julien, demanding a faster play without giving him the players, right now the D is looking much slower than it did last year.

But thank you for these, these are always nice to read.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I took that comment to be referring to the personnel themselves on the ice, not how they were coached. More of a comment toward PC than CJ.

But it's the same guys minus one of the faster ones, how is that going to work? If he is alluding to PC, I have a news flash for Sweeny, you haven't improved things.

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org

“I think they have to,” said Sweeney, when asked if the defensemen will be skating more in 2015-16. “At times, we probably got a little bit too stationary on our breakouts. We need to be in motion a little bit. That means our forwards will be in motion a little bit, because teams were able to smother the walls, pinch, and pre-pinch.”

Good read thanks.. I am really liking Sweeney's input into our team's game/strategy etc. Compared to Peter C who I don't think ever played a game of hockey his whole life.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
Good read thanks.. I am really liking Sweeney's input into our team's game/strategy etc. Compared to Peter C who I don't think ever played a game of hockey his whole life.

Doesn't mean much at this point, but PC played college hockey for four years at Harvard. I think he was the captain at one point, if I'm not mistaken

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Doesn't mean much at this point, but PC played college hockey for four years at Harvard. I think he was the captain at one point, if I'm not mistaken

He was a pretty crappy player with less than .5ppg as a forward. In his 4th year at Harvard there was a really good young Dman named.... Don Sweeney!

radmcfad

Apr 19, 2006
I would say that at this point in time our personnel are not a good match for the "our defensemen will be skating more" response by Sweeney.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
I would say that at this point in time our personnel are not a good match for the "our defensemen will be skating more" response by Sweeney.

Pretty strange response considering that all he did this off-season was to trade our only mobile defenseman, extend and sign two of the slowest skating D in the league (McQuaid and Irwin).

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

There are all sorts of reasons to be high on Sweeney and low on Chiarelli, but this is absolutely not one of them.

Wayne Gretzky sucked as coach and gm.
Scotty Bowman played at a lower level of hockey than Chia.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
There are all sorts of reasons to be high on Sweeney and low on Chiarelli, but this is absolutely not one of them.

Wayne Gretzky sucked as coach and gm.
Scotty Bowman played at a lower level of hockey than Chia.

100% right Dr. Q. the level someone plays at has zero to do with their ability as a Coach or GM. Zero.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Pretty strange response considering that all he did this off-season was to trade our only mobile defenseman, extend and sign two of the slowest skating D in the league (McQuaid and Irwin).

That defenseman also wanted out, and sucked in his own end regardless

Last edited by a moderator:

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
This doesn't make me feel any better about the defense going into the season and wonder how much of this could be to get fans over the fact that what you see with the defense right now might be what you get come October.

Right now Sweeney is talking the talk and I understand the offense and most of the draft picks and trades that he's made. The defense on the other hand is a conundrum to me. He preaches speed, fluidity and transition but then re-signs McQuaid, signs Irwin and doesn't address the speed or offense lost by Hamilton. Maybe the defense was in such dire straights that he has a 2 year plan with it and will be targeting a Seabrook, Yandle, Giordano or Johnson next offseason? I also question if he had such high praise for C.Miller or Morrow then why did he sign Irwin? I'm curious to see how this shakes out and really hope one or two of the kids force the teams hand by playing insanely during training camp.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
The fact that the new GM is publicly identifying a major flaw in the team that many of us have complained about for years, is music to my ears.

The fact that he hasn't done enough to rectify the problem in his first 2-1/2 months on the job, is best digested with the proverbial gran of salt.

freddy123

Jun 30, 2013
Fredericton
The article also identifies McQuaid and K. Miller as "good" skaters. :biglaugh:

At least we know who was whispering in Sweeney's ear when he signed McQuaid to that 4 year contract. :shakehead

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
Sweeney jumped into his new GM job with both feet, his stamp is all over this team. On paper we are a weaker team and if that translates into missing the playoffs and being even worse in the standings Sweeney will absolutely take it in the media. I honestly hope we play over our heads for his sake.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
This doesn't make me feel any better about the defense going into the season and wonder how much of this could be to get fans over the fact that what you see with the defense right now might be what you get come October.

Right now Sweeney is talking the talk and I understand the offense and most of the draft picks and trades that he's made. The defense on the other hand is a conundrum to me. He preaches speed, fluidity and transition but then re-signs McQuaid, signs Irwin and doesn't address the speed or offense lost by Hamilton. Maybe the defense was in such dire straights that he has a 2 year plan with it and will be targeting a Seabrook, Yandle, Giordano or Johnson next offseason? I also question if he had such high praise for C.Miller or Morrow then why did he sign Irwin? I'm curious to see how this shakes out and really hope one or two of the kids force the teams hand by playing insanely during training camp.

I agree with much of this. It seems very unlikely that the defense as presently constituted will be able to do what Sweeney describes. He has to know that. Minus a breakout camp from Miller and/or Morrow, or an acquisition addressing D quickness, they simply don't have the horses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad