News Article: Glen Sather Retires from the NHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
He was the right kind of gm for the oilers in that era.

He would trade players not just due to financial reasons but also to keep the roster fresh.

Some other things I am sure we can analyze with a back look and say he had problems in that are, but overall a good oilers gm

I really don't care at all about his time with the rangers so I have no view on how he did there

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Loved Slats while he was here, just the perfect guy to run the show. Too bad his owner f***ed him, the team and the fans over as time progressed, but he really did make some lemonade out of lemons a lot of time. The only quibble I have about him, is that he always complained he was hand-tied by a restrictive budget, and while it was truth, he had no problem opening up the vault in NY and signing pretty much anyone he wanted.

Reactions: oilers'72

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
I also had no idea he was still in some management role but I am not shocked. We aren't the only org that has a retirement plan for friends of the organization where we give them a role maybe meaningful maybe not.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
Slats also hit in an era where he started as players had to be older for and draft and then if got younger.

It was interesting to see how he would say the draft is hard r than it used to be as there is more guess regarding future development of a player the younger you let the draft go.

A portion of the bad picks can't be avoided as you can't always tell who won't be able to play against bigger and larger players and is the player able to develop more or did they peak at 17

It doesn't excuse all bad picks but every change we make to the game has some consequence whether good or bad

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
He is a legend and one of the great builders of all time. Trade Paul, go get Reijo Ruotsalainen. Go to Finland when one one else thinks of that. Go visit jailed player, to get a much needed 3rd line center, showing compasion. Need toughness, goes and gets mcsorly. It's endless, how Glen would built a team. A dozen other great moves I could list. What a special person. Good luck Glen, and wish you the best.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Slats was great during his time here as GM, hope he enjoys his retirement, but in all honesty I thought he retired a long time ago.
I also thought he had retired!

Slats was a fantastic coach/gm for the time. He saw the value in the style that the Jets played and had the right temperament to handle the 80's Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad