Gilmour HOF?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
before you accuse me of being a huge Gilmour homer, let me freely admit that I am...

i had never really considered it before, but i just checked up on his career stats on hockeydb.com, and i was surprised at how many points he has.

he has more points than guys like Andreychuk, Hull, Robitaille, Shanahan, and a number of other guys who are mentioned as possible or probable hall of famers (obviously hull will be). hell, he has more points than Kurri, Sittler, McDonald, Mullen, Goulet, Gartner, Lafleur, etc (that's just me going through a list of fairly recent inductees). obviously longevity has something to do with that, but there's something to be said for longevity as well.

great captain, great leader. played for his country, won a cup, over 1 ppg in the playoffs, (and from what i hear probably would have won the heart trophy in 1992/93 if not for some guy named lemieux scoring 160 points in 60 games).

he was a fierce competitor, with great leadership, desire, and heart. all in all a fantastic two way player.

so that's my case. verdict?

Poochie_D

Oct 31, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
for sure. one of the greatest captains and leaders all time. second in playoff points only behind gretz... this guy is a lock. even tho he only played a season and a bit with the habs, this guy has ALWAYS had my respect. even while he was with the leafs. to command a habs fan respect while playing with the leafs means something. CLASS ACT.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
I think he will get in for sure. His longevity is amazing and his point totals in the playoffs are awesome. The things I'll remember the most about him are his character and leadership but also when he broke the penalty box glass during the playoffs man that was hell of a swing. I'll always remember that. :lol:

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
More heart and soul then any player I've ever seen, and by more then a small margin... beyond that I'm not touching this thread.

This is one area I'm definitely too biased to offer a worthwhile opinion.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
He's a Hall of Famer, especially given the fairly low standards these days, but it's not because of a lot of the sentimental blabber that many will use to support his candidacy. Take away all the mushy stuff and there's still a hall of fame career left, but not by anywhere near as much as many will make it sound.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Epsilon said:
He's a Hall of Famer, especially given the fairly low standards these days, but it's not because of a lot of the sentimental blabber that many will use to support his candidacy. Take away all the mushy stuff and there's still a hall of fame career left, but not by anywhere near as much as many will make it sound.

i wish mods would start closing threads when posts like these are made..

nothing really is left to be said, nice post :thumbu:

tomerez

Mar 16, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Poochie_D said:
for sure. one of the greatest captains and leaders all time. second in playoff points only behind gretz... this guy is a lock. even tho he only played a season and a bit with the habs, this guy has ALWAYS had my respect. even while he was with the leafs. to command a habs fan respect while playing with the leafs means something. CLASS ACT.

well said :handclap:

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
arrbez said:
before you accuse me of being a huge Gilmour homer, let me freely admit that I am...

i had never really considered it before, but i just checked up on his career stats on hockeydb.com, and i was surprised at how many points he has.

he has more points than guys like Andreychuk, Hull, Robitaille, Shanahan, and a number of other guys who are mentioned as possible or probable hall of famers (obviously hull will be). hell, he has more points than Kurri, Sittler, McDonald, Mullen, Goulet, Gartner, Lafleur, etc (that's just me going through a list of fairly recent inductees). obviously longevity has something to do with that, but there's something to be said for longevity as well.

great captain, great leader. played for his country, won a cup, over 1 ppg in the playoffs, (and from what i hear probably would have won the heart trophy in 1992/93 if not for some guy named lemieux scoring 160 points in 60 games).

he was a fierce competitor, with great leadership, desire, and heart. all in all a fantastic two way player.

so that's my case. verdict?

I think Gilmour is a tad overrated but that's mostly because HNIC (mainly Don Cherry) treats him like he's god. in terms of air time on coach's corner.... gilmour has gotta be right up there in air time.

Having said that.... gilmour is still a solid hall of famer

Bruins4Ever

Sep 12, 2004
Caledonia, Ontario
As much as I dislike the Leafs, he's gotta be in there. He's one of Toronto's best players of all time, he lead the team for so many years, and his consistency was scary. He's in for sure.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
He definitely has the points, but he got most of them them in an era where even the likes of Craig Janney were getting 100 pts. He definitely played with ferocious intensity and was a clutch player. Pierre Turgeon has almost identical stats minus the penalties. Since I would consider Turgeon as a HoF candidate when he retires, I guess Gilmour would have to be considered also.

Where Gilmour loses it for me is not what he did on the ice but what he did off the ice. If Pete Rose (arguably the best baseball player in history) can't get into the baseball HoF because of the off field stuff, I would use the same argument for Gilmour.

His "adventures in babysitting", his walking out on the Flames (a legit cup contender at the time) in mid season, are all well documented and can certainly be looked up for any one not familiar with his escapades. Certainly not the actions of a "great team captain" or leader. Maybe he was great in toronto (BTW remember why they traded him to the devils?), but he certainly created lots of off ice headaches for the Blues and Flames with his behaviour. How much weight does that carry for entry into the HoF? Who knows.

If he had never played in toronto, I suspect he would have a bit of a wait before going in. The fact he played on a major market team, probably pushes him in on his first year of eligibility. Whereas Turgeon may have to wait a longer period of time after he retires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad