Garth Snow the Draft King

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Snow is nothing special come draft day. A few of his odd moves have worked out(DeHaan and Nelson), while his whole smurf defense idea was a bomb. He has been an absolute idiot with handing out contracts(Strait) based on who knows what.
I hate these threads-we are doing well because of the trades and the kid line.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Snow was massively underrated because, as expected, turning the Islanders took a long tim

Watch the same thing happen with MacT in Edmonton in about 6 or 7 years if he doesn't get fired

canucks10

Jan 15, 2014
Over the Rainbow
I really think the Islanders hit a home run with Pulock solid player with an absolute bomb of a shot! really wanted him to be available at 24 but i have no complaints about Shinkaruk :D

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
It would be hard for Snow to be the draft king since that's Timmins' crown.

Since 2003 and all the way up to 2012 the Habs have had 20 ''good'' picks (that's an average of two NHLers per draft) and have drafted 5 players who could be touted as franchise players (that's an average of 1 franchise player every two drafts).

2003: A.Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Halak
2004: Chipchura, Emelin, Grabovski, Streit
2005: Price, Latendresse, D'Agostini, S.Kostitsyn
2006: Ryan White
2007: McDonagh, Pacioretty, Subban, Weber
2008: -
2009: -
2010: Tinordi, Gallagher
2011: Beaulieu
2012: Galchenyuk

Of course some of those players didn't have a very long NHL career like Latendresse or the Kostitsyns but still made it and were considered quality youngsters. Others like Beaulieu and Tinordi are still inbetween the AHL and NHL but look like they will be quality NHLers very soon.

Other drafted prospects who could be added eventually also include Charles Hudon (leading AHL scorer), Magnus Nygren, Sebastian Collberg, Michael McCarron, Jacob De La Rose, Zachary Fucale, Sven Andrighetto (has looked good in NHL this season) and Nikita Scherbak.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Snow is nothing special come draft day. A few of his odd moves have worked out(DeHaan and Nelson), while his whole smurf defense idea was a bomb. He has been an absolute idiot with handing out contracts(Strait) based on who knows what.

Oh, please. In addition to "the odd moves" like de Haan and Nelson, you fail to mention the late round gems. Lee was drafted on the sixth round, Czizkas, Martin, Hamonic all came outside the first round. Heck, we only have Leddy because of good drafting on the second round.

As for the contract, Snow has mostly been an absolute master - look at the deals for players like Hamonic and Tavares. The only real brutal contracts he signed were for Bailey and, to a lessor extent, Grabner.

Brian Strait has a cap hit of less than a million dollars. He is making exactly what a number seven defender should be making.

And,

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
We he's been picking top 10 picks for years so its not THAT difficult...is he the worst drafter? Not at all, he is solid. But I wouldn't call him the "King" of drafting either. He's made just as many questionably picks as any GM, including mine.

Snow has done well on the mid to late rounds. But, its not like he was finding Datsyuk there either.

So, I mostly agree with you.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
a couple years ago snow would have been regarded as one of the worst gms in the league. now he's the draft king?

ZeroPT*

a couple years ago snow would have been regarded as one of the worst gms in the league. now he's the draft king?

To be fair his drafting was never considered a problem. It's just, the rest was really questionable. His trades especially.

But it's not like he had inherited a great situation either..

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Not challenging you but did Snow make any scouting moves? Like did he hire his own guys or something?

The scouting staff has been almost entirely revised during his time there.

Trent Klatt, the head of scouting and the guy who pushed for the Isles to draft Nelson, was hired by Snow.

That's not to say I agree that he the "draft king" - I just don't think he should get no credit for whatever good drafting they did do.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
snow is nothing special come draft day. A few of his odd moves have worked out(dehaan and nelson), while his whole smurf defense idea was a bomb. he has been an absolute idiot with handing out contracts(strait) based on who knows what.

wtf!?

Thatguystevie

Jan 26, 2014

What are you talking about?

Tavares-5.5 a year
Okposo- 2.8 a year
Nielsen- 2.75 a year
Hamonic- 3.8 a year(until 2020!)
Strait-.775 a year(just above league minimum)

You've got all the facts backwards. He's been terrible with trades(except on draft day) but an ace when it comes to contracts and drafting.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
What are you talking about?

Tavares-5.5 a year
Okposo- 2.8 a year
Nielsen- 2.75 a year
Hamonic- 3.8 a year(until 2020!)
Strait-.775 a year(just above league minimum)

You've got all the facts backwards. He's been terrible with trades(except on draft day) but an ace when it comes to contracts and drafting.

I don't even thing he's been terrible in terms of trades. The Vanek and Nino deals were horrible. Maybe you can fault him on trading for a Boyle's rights too. The effort to move it all for a cup run his first year was also ill-advised. Everything else has ranged from MEH to pretty good.

He's not a great GM, but also not the joke some make him out to be.

Nolanitis

Feb 19, 2007
NYC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad