Value of: Garrison

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JS91

May 14, 2014
Losing him would be a massive blow to our D-corps. Easily our 3rd best D-man right now and a huge part of our penalty kill which was excellent last year. If moving Filppula proves to be too hard right now, I would think that we might even shop Bishop before him. That is because Bishop will have to be moved no matter what whether that is by losing him to free agency or trading. If we lose Bish we still have Vasy, but if we lose Garrison with Coburn moving up our 3rd pairing would become Nesterov - Sustr and that's a disaster waiting to happen.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
We need his salary off the books next summer to resign Palat, Johnson, and Drouin. I'd much rather keep Garrison than Coburn but we'll need every penny of cap space we can get, Garrison would bring in a much better return, and our depth is better on the left than on the right. So Garrison it is.

As far as his value is concerned in a vacuum I'd say a late first and a decent prospect, but given that everybody knows we need cap space I expect we'd ultimately have to settle for less than that.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
He's going to stay with the team this season, but will likely be gone next summer. I guess his value depends on the season he has, but I'd be okay with something around a 2nd + a prospect.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Solid 2nd pairing Dman. I'm gonna be bummed when we lose him next year to the stupid expansion draft. Hate the expansion.

An expansion team would be insane to pass up a likely exposed Namestnikov for some old dude who can't skate.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
An expansion team would be insane to pass up a likely exposed Namestnikov for some old dude who can't skate.

Namestnikov won't be exposed. We're going to have to buy out Filppula if he isn't somehow traded by that point and we'll be losing one of Killorn, Palat, Johnson, or Drouin for cap reasons. Our protection at forward will consist of the remaining three of those four, Stamkos (NMC), Callahan (NMC), Kucherov, and Namestnikov (assuming he doesn't regress next season.)

Yzerman will have to act quickly given the short period of time between the end of the season and the expansion draft but by that point he should have an idea of who he can and can't afford to keep and will make the necessary moves. It simply doesn't make any sense for him to protect a player he's going to have to move for cap reasons anyway. This in turn will put him in a tough spot given that rival GMs will know he has an artificial deadline to make a move before the draft or lose a talented forward unnecessarily, so that will hurt his bargaining power (he won't be the only GM in that position, BTW.) But ultimately his performance next summer will be judged more by the players he manages to keep than by the return he gets for the ones he has to lose.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Salty nucks fan sad Benning got fleeced?

Anyway - if he's gone it isn't because of expansion, it's because of the Cap. If we can move Flip and if Kucherov/Palat/Johnson could take a discount or the cap goes up a lot more than anyone is realistically expecting this year, we may be able to keep him for his whole term. But I'm not counting on that, honestly.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Namestnikov won't be exposed. We're going to have to buy out Filppula if he isn't somehow traded by that point and we'll be losing one of Killorn, Palat, Johnson, or Drouin for cap reasons. Our protection at forward will consist of the remaining three of those four, Stamkos (NMC), Callahan (NMC), Kucherov, and Namestnikov (assuming he doesn't regress next season.)

Yzerman will have to act quickly given the short period of time between the end of the season and the expansion draft but by that point he should have an idea of who he can and can't afford to keep and will make the necessary moves. It simply doesn't make any sense for him to protect a player he's going to have to move for cap reasons anyway. This in turn will put him in a tough spot given that rival GMs will know he has an artificial deadline to make a move before the draft or lose a talented forward unnecessarily, so that will hurt his bargaining power (he won't be the only GM in that position, BTW.) But ultimately his performance next summer will be judged more by the players he manages to keep than by the return he gets for the ones he has to lose.

We're not buying out Filppula, he's not a negative asset. We could expose Killorn, 6 more years might deter an expansion team, and Namestnikov, sign him to a 1 year deal and he's arbitration eligible again next year, Vegas might not want to deal with that right away when trying to build a team.

As for Garrison I wouldn't take less than a 2nd, top 4 defenders are valuable and he has only 2 years left so some team would definitely want him.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Salty nucks fan sad Benning got fleeced?

Anyway - if he's gone it isn't because of expansion, it's because of the Cap. If we can move Flip and if Kucherov/Palat/Johnson could take a discount or the cap goes up a lot more than anyone is realistically expecting this year, we may be able to keep him for his whole term. But I'm not counting on that, honestly.

Seeing as Taylor Hall is now in your conference, I'll be sure to enjoy all the times Garrison gets walked by him again wearing a blue sweater (just yours has a Bolt on it to our Whale)
We saw enough of G to understand his inside turning is awful and he gets walked to the outside about as much as Hal Gill used too.
I still say spending a 36th overall on Baertschi and a 51st overall on Vey is on par with 2nd round picks used as draft choices.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
It would be a mistake to move Garrison. You package someone with Flip to make him more palatable to the team taking him. Yzerman is going to have to pay to get rid of that contract.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Look at our cap, people. Filppula and either Garrison or Coburn have to go along with one of our top six forwards in order to keep the rest. If we can't trade Filppula we have buy him out - it's that simple. There's no point in wasting a protection spot on him when he has to go anyway, especially when doing so would almost certainly cost us his replacement in Namestnikov.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Look at our cap, people. Filppula and either Garrison or Coburn have to go along with one of our top six forwards in order to keep the rest. If we can't trade Filppula we have buy him out - it's that simple. There's no point in wasting a protection spot on him when he has to go anyway, especially when doing so would almost certainly cost us his replacement in Namestnikov.

Filpulla and Garrison need to go but we have more than a year to get rid of them, neither needs to be traded tomorrow or we're screwed. We are fine with both all of next season.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Tampa has $8.5M in space right now. That's enough for Kucherov (Hopefully a Forsberg deal @ 6X6) and Nesterov (Somewhere between 1 and 1.5).

You deal Bishop (just as an example, calm down) to Dallas for Honka and 50% of Niemi. That clears another 3.7. That's enough for Namestnikov. You package Filppula with a prospect or pick and move him. Take a 1-2M contract back from the team taking Flip and you've got 3-4M more. Enough for Drouin. Buy out Callahan in the offseason and you should have enough to cover the raises for Palat and Johnson.

Lot's of moving parts, but it's very possible to make things fit (albeit very snugly) if you can get rid of Callahan and Flip and with Bishop dealt. I assume one of Killorn or Namestnikov get picked up in the expansion draft and that will move some money around too.

I'm all for blowing up contracts to keep the core (Hedman, Drouin, Stamkos, Palat, Kucherov, Johnson and Vasilevski) but they have to do it from the forward corps and Bishop and not the defense. This team is in bad shape without either Coburn or Garrison. Stralman and Hedman can't play 45 minutes a night.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Losing him would be a massive blow to our D-corps. Easily our 3rd best D-man right now and a huge part of our penalty kill which was excellent last year. If moving Filppula proves to be too hard right now, I would think that we might even shop Bishop before him. That is because Bishop will have to be moved no matter what whether that is by losing him to free agency or trading. If we lose Bish we still have Vasy, but if we lose Garrison with Coburn moving up our 3rd pairing would become Nesterov - Sustr and that's a disaster waiting to happen.

Don't Filppula and Bishop have NMC?

JS91

May 14, 2014
Don't Filppula and Bishop have NMC?

Yeah but Bishop's camp already had talks at the draft with Calgary about an extension when they were asking about him and with Yzerman coming out and saying that "a goalie will have to be moved before the expansion draft", Bishop must see that his future is not with the Lightning. Vasy is 8 years younger and performed very well in the playoffs so there is no doubt in my mind that Bishop will be the one that they will try to move and I would imagine that Bishop would be willing to waive if it's apparent that he won't be here a year from now no matter what.

Filppula would probably be a bit tougher to move. That's purely speculation though because nobody has any idea if he'd be willing to waive his NMC or not and even if he did his value is nowhere near Bishop's value.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I'd easily pay a 1st round pick if there was a Garrison clone available somewhere. He's got a nice contract and is a great #3. Would really hurt to lose him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad