GDT: Game #80: Minnesota Wild @ St. Louis Blues "Slumpbuster"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
The thought that the Blues aren't trying because the rest of the season does not matter will be put to the test tonight. The rest of the season does matter now. When the Blues are on their game, they are the best team in the West, possibly the NHL (Boston is an interesting matchup as they are very similar). However, even if they can turn it back on for the playoffs as some people believe, losing the division would be crippling. Going through Chicago, Colorado, a California team and then the Eastern Conference champs would be grueling. All those series would go at least 6 games (maybe not Colorado). They'd all be physical and bruising and mentally draining. It would be soo much better to get Minnesota or Phoenix in round 1. Get a relatively easy 5 game series and go into the grind of the playoffs more rested than the other teams.

The excuse that these games don't matter is over. Colorado has the tie breaker and is 2 points behind with 3 to play. Let's see if the Blues can at least play hard when it counts. With injuries, we still might lose. I still want to see the effort.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Jeremy Rutherford
‏@jprutherford
Backes, who is wearing a boot on his foot, politely declined comment on his injury. #stlblues
Hitch on Backes: "He is going to be out for potentially three games and then play." #stlblues

The fear has to be that this is going to be similar to Oshie last season; might be back for the playoffs, but he isn't going to be anywhere near as effective.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Detroit kept on rolling with out their top centermen....we have no excuse to lose

OCTA8ON*

Jeremy Rutherford
‏@jprutherford
Backes, who is wearing a boot on his foot, politely declined comment on his injury. #stlblues
Hitch on Backes: "He is going to be out for potentially three games and then play." #stlblues

The fear has to be that this is going to be similar to Oshie last season; might be back for the playoffs, but he isn't going to be anywhere near as effective.

damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit!!!!!!

illninofan*

Jeremy Rutherford
‏@jprutherford

It's officially time to panic.

Schwartz-Steen-Oshie
Berglund-Sobotka-Jaskin
Morrow-Roy-Ott
Paajarvi/Porter-Lapierre-Reaves

Ugh.

Any chance we bring up Rattie just for ****s and giggles at this point?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
They also have depth behind Zetterberg. And they play in the east.

They were missing him too lol.

I'm not worried. Last time backes was down, Oshie stepped up big.

Schwartz-sobotka-oshie
Berglund-steen-mps
morrow ott - jaskin
Porter-lappierre-reaves.

I'd like to see this.

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
SOB line has done a great job shutting down Parise line in previous games, hopefully SOS line does the same

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Wow, this Backes stuff is pretty concerning.

My guess is he has a pretty serious injury but Hitchcock knows the team will be toast without him so he's just going to ask him to play through it in the playoffs.

Geeze we need another center to take the load off of him.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Yeah I'm thinking Backes has a broken foot but will play with it in the playoffs cuz he's a tough son of a *****.

elkranio

Jan 4, 2014
Yeah I'm thinking Backes has a broken foot but will play with it in the playoffs cuz he's a tough son of a *****.

I hope that we'll pass couple of rounds just to play LA. And Backes will rip out Brown's leg to use it instead of the broken one.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Hey guys, is this a meaningless game for you, or a must win? Having a discussion with a buddy on it...
I'd say more of a must win. We have beaten Minnesota 9 straight times, so a loss tonight wouldn't signal anything good. Plus we're right back at it against Dallas tomorrow night (who plays us tougher than Minny) and then Detroit on Sunday. We need to win at least 2 of these games. We've lost 3 in a row which isn't that big of a deal to me, but if this becomes 5 or 6 in a row then it will start to be a big problem.

Megalodan

Registered Loser
Mar 11, 2011
Drinkscotch Center
Players take shots to the feet all the time, and even if they don't break them they still might wear boots because their feet swell up and it's too painful to put on a hockey skate. Here's an example of Martin St. Louis going through this earlier in the season.

I'll admit, though, that the Blues being quiet about Backes's injury makes me suspicious. Hopefully it isn't a break, but players have gone through playoffs on them before. The Blues probably just want to be hush so players don't go after it.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
The Morrow-Roy-Ott line HAS to contribute tonight. If that line can't step up when the team needs it, then I think the Blues will lack the effective depth needed to win into the post-season very far regardless of Tarasenko and/or Backes coming back.

Those guys are supposed to have leadership and intangible factors that will benefit the team. Well, tonight they need to answer the bell.

Also, I'm waiting for Pietro to elevate his game. I've been waiting for a while now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad