Post-Game Talk: Game # 71: Bolts def. Canucks - 4-3 (Burrowsx2, Hansen - Jensen with 1A!)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I think what Bad Goalie is basically inquiring about is contract status for next season. Yes, there are many variables at play when it comes to Jensen being on the roster next season or not, but I think Bad Goalie just wants to know who is still signed and who is not.

@ Bad Goalie: to answer your question, here is the list of forwards signed to one-way NHL contracts next season.

Daniel Sedin
Henrik Sedin
Ryan Kesler
Alex Burrows
David Booth
Chris Higgins
Shawn Matthias
Jannik Hansen
Brad Richardon
Tom Sestito

So yes, there are technically two holes in the forward lineup. This could change depending on who the Canucks trade away and who they sign or bring in via trade, but as of now there is space for Jensen in the lineup next season.

FYI, I got this info from www.capgeek.com, which is probably the most handy hockey website around. It also lists the contracts of non-roster players for every NHL team, aka prospects on ELC's or AHL players on two-way contracts, so it's very much a relevant site for the status of Comets players as well.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
He'll always be physically overmatched. He needs to change the way he engages.

Agreed. I just think that if you are going to be his size and play in the NHL, you need to have an elite skillset. It doesn't necessarily have to include scoring, but you need to have something that distinguishes you.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Agreed. I just think that if you are going to be his size and play in the NHL, you need to have an elite skillset. It doesn't necessarily have to include scoring, but you need to have something that distinguishes you.

Hmm, aside from a bit better face off consistency and losing a couple of fights, what exactly does Richardson bring over Schroeder?

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Hmm, aside from a bit better face off consistency and losing a couple of fights, what exactly does Richardson bring over Schroeder?

I think Richardson is a really under appreciated, versatile 4th line (depth player). He can play all three forward positions and was pretty important for the Canucks penalty kill this season. Plus while acknowledging that size is not everything, he's also 3-4 inches taller and 20-25 pounds heavier than Schroeder.

HalfPastDan

Registered Schmoozer
Feb 7, 2010
@ Bad Goalie

Realistically, Booth gets bought out. All else staying the same... here are the holes as I see them:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
_____ - Kesler - ______
Higgins - ______ - Hansen
Sestito - Richardson - Matthias

There are holes to be filled. If Jensen has a good camp, he has a realistic shot of filling one of them.

Santorelli
Kassian
Jensen
Dalpe
Schroeder
Horvat

are assets currently in place with the likely potential of filling some of these.
We don't know about any potential FA signings, trades, buyouts, etc.

Ideally, if we decide to try and compete again next season instead of rebuild, and Jensen continues to perform well on Henrik's wing, I'd like to see:

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen
____ - Kesler - Kassian
Higgins - Santo - Burrows
Matthias - Richardson - Hansen

The 2LW slot could be filled by a FA, a trade, or perhaps Daniel Sedin, Mike Santorelli, Alex Burrows, Nicklas Jensen, or perhaps even Bo Horvat.

Maybe...

Burrows - Sedin - Jensen
Sedin - Kelser - Kassian
Higgins - Santorelli - Hansen

All this to say - there's very much a space for him if he earns a space. Right now, he's doing just that. No guarantees that that continues for the rest of the season and into next training camp. The rigors of a full NHL season are far different than a 20 game tryout at the end of a lost campaign.

nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6

Jul 14, 2009
Sudbury
Sedin-Sedin-Jensen
Burrows-Kesler-Bolland
Higgins-Santo-Hansen
Sestito-Richardson-Matthias
Schroeder

Would not mind rolling with that while our prospects ripen a bit.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I think Richardson is a really under appreciated, versatile 4th line (depth player). He can play all three forward positions and was pretty important for the Canucks penalty kill this season. Plus while acknowledging that size is not everything, he's also 3-4 inches taller and 20-25 pounds heavier than Schroeder.
I don't see a ton of upside with Richardson, I don't think he offers an incredible size advantage and I don't think he's a solid enough defensive center to take on tough match ups.

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
Sedin - Sedin - Jensen
Burrows - Stastny - Kesler
Higgins - Horvat - Hansen
Sestito-Matthias-Richardson

Next year hopefully..

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So...everyone is screaming "tank" again? Neat.

The goals against hurt to watch, and I when Jensen had his goal taken away, that hurt as bad, but at least Burrows is back to his clutch old self. He gave the team a chance to fight back. Now if Kassian, Edler and Sestito can work on not getting penalties at the worst possible time, we might have just enough gas to make the post season.

Nah, but that would at least make for a fun ride there.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Seeing two sedins with jensen makes me want to hertl. Bur/hank/jensen.
Keep dan sedin on a dif line. He isn't good enough to be on the first anymore if he's not putting up goals and doesn't want to shoot. As if Henrik isn't predictable enough with his bro playing with him. Can you imagine if both of them always pass? :laugh:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
actually, if everyone is healthy and not sucking at an unprecedented level, this team -- with zero changes -- could look like a legitimate 5-8 seed.

sedin sedin jensen
burrows kesler kassian
higgins santo hansen/matthias
sestito richardson hansen/matthias

that's a pretty good forward corps, though obviously with next to zero depth behind it if anyone gets hurt (dalpe, schroeder... gaunce or horvat if ready?)

probably as strong of a bottom six as we've seen in a long time. even when manny was at his best, that fourth line was hot garbage.

hamhuis garrison
edler tanev
stanton bieksa

again, if guys are healthy and not sucking to an incomprehensible degree, there's not a lot to complain about there other than the lack of a true #1 and having nothing behind those guys other than corrado (which might not be that bad, depending on what he does over the summer) and weber.

the goalies... well, i guess there's a lot of *promise* there. not super hopeful about them for next year though.

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
Daniel needs to prove he still has game. If the current top line keeps it up, I think Jensen replaces Daniel until he proves something. Jensen has shown a lot in the toughest part of the season. I think he is a lock for a top six role next year. When all the injured players return, the Canucks have a good second line.

Burrows Sedin Jensen
Sedin Santorelli Kesler
Higgins Horvat Hansen
Sestito Matthias Kassian
Richardson

Sit Booth now so he doesn't get injured. Then buy him out in the summer. Dalpe, Schroeder, and Archiebald have not been impressive. Lain, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, and Kenins should get good looks next season and could steal a job with a great camp.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I think what Bad Goalie is basically inquiring about is contract status for next season. Yes, there are many variables at play when it comes to Jensen being on the roster next season or not, but I think Bad Goalie just wants to know who is still signed and who is not.

@ Bad Goalie: to answer your question, here is the list of forwards signed to one-way NHL contracts next season.

Daniel Sedin
Henrik Sedin
Ryan Kesler
Alex Burrows
David Booth
Chris Higgins
Shawn Matthias
Jannik Hansen
Brad Richardon
Tom Sestito

So yes, there are technically two holes in the forward lineup. This could change depending on who the Canucks trade away and who they sign or bring in via trade, but as of now there is space for Jensen in the lineup next season.

FYI, I got this info from www.capgeek.com, which is probably the most handy hockey website around. It also lists the contracts of non-roster players for every NHL team, aka prospects on ELC's or AHL players on two-way contracts, so it's very much a relevant site for the status of Comets players as well.

Thank you.

You're info as usual is of great help. Will keep the capgeek info on hand. It's amazing how people have to make so much difficulty in getting an answer, yet they have no difficulty asking us down on the farm for all kinds of info even if they often don't like the answers they get. Look forward to talking with you again soon.

Good night.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
@ Bad Goalie

Realistically, Booth gets bought out. All else staying the same... here are the holes as I see them:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
_____ - Kesler - ______
Higgins - ______ - Hansen

There are holes to be filled. If Jensen has a good camp, he has a realistic shot of filling one of them.

Santorelli
Kassian
Jensen
Dalpe
Schroeder
Horvat

are assets currently in place with the likely potential of filling some of these.
We don't know about any potential FA signings, trades, buyouts, etc.

Ideally, if we decide to try and compete again next season instead of rebuild, and Jensen continues to perform well on Henrik's wing, I'd like to see:

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen
____ - Kesler - Kassian
Higgins - Santo - Burrows
Matthias - Richardson - Hansen

The 2LW slot could be filled by a FA, a trade, or perhaps Daniel Sedin, Mike Santorelli, Alex Burrows, Nicklas Jensen, or perhaps even Bo Horvat.

Maybe...

Burrows - Sedin - Jensen
Sedin - Kelser - Kassian
Higgins - Santorelli - Hansen

All this to say - there's very much a space for him if he earns a space. Right now, he's doing just that. No guarantees that that continues for the rest of the season and into next training camp. The rigors of a full NHL season are far different than a 20 game tryout at the end of a lost campaign.

Thanks for your trouble.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Not sure why he keeps starting LAck who lets in 4 goals a game nowadays.

Although not official from Tortorella, it seems that Lack will start against TBL and continue to start for the foreseeable future as long as the Canucks have a hope of making the play-offs according to TSN's Farhan Lalji and Jason Bochford.

Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN
Torts would not confirm starter vs TBay, but Im told Lack will likely keep starting until the #canucks are mathematically eliminated from PS

Per Botchford:

Unless something changes tonight, Eddie Lack will start again in Tampa, the second of back-to-back games.

The Canucks believe Markstrom needs some significant work with his technical game, and have been planning to start Lack until they are mathematically eliminated from the post-season.

Not only do the Canucks believe Lack is more prepared for this, and therefore their best chance to win, they also want to see how he responds with a heavy workload as the team’s undisputed No. 1 goalie.​
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/0...h-isnt-good-but-lack-in-the-shootout-sure-is/

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
It would've been cool to have Schroeder play a full season healthy for us to really know what we have. But no matter what arguments anybody brings up, he's still an unknown.

He's pretty close to slipping through and hitting the waiver wire though. Could be in line for an endless amount of pick-ups and ensuing waivings like some guys have gone through.

Matthias probably knocks him off the team. He's only 2 years older and just fits the role so much better. Schroeder isn't an ideal top 6 forward. Will never play on a first line. Could eventually slot into a 2nd line role, but it's still somewhat of a stretch. Has no space on a prototypical 3rd line, and no business on a 4th line.

Really interesting to see if...

Daniel-Hank-Jensen
Burrows-Kesler-Santorelli

Or some combination involving those guys could work out successfully. Pretty floored and disappointed that Daniel will probably be the weakest link. At this point, we'd be better off trying to find a somewhat top end talent to play with Kesler and roll that as a first line.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Yeah, I was optimistic about Schroeder before, but Matthias certainly seems like a much stronger option at this point in time.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
It would've been cool to have Schroeder play a full season healthy for us to really know what we have. But no matter what arguments anybody brings up, he's still an unknown.

He's pretty close to slipping through and hitting the waiver wire though. Could be in line for an endless amount of pick-ups and ensuing waivings like some guys have gone through.

Matthias probably knocks him off the team. He's only 2 years older and just fits the role so much better. Schroeder isn't an ideal top 6 forward. Will never play on a first line. Could eventually slot into a 2nd line role, but it's still somewhat of a stretch. Has no space on a prototypical 3rd line, and no business on a 4th line.

Really interesting to see if...

Daniel-Hank-Jensen
Burrows-Kesler-Santorelli

Or some combination involving those guys could work out successfully. Pretty floored and disappointed that Daniel will probably be the weakest link. At this point, we'd be better off trying to find a somewhat top end talent to play with Kesler and roll that as a first line.

I honestly think Daniel can rebound on a line with Kesler. Kesler does most of the work anyways but the difference between Daniel Sedin any most of the other linemates Kesler skates with is Daniel is someone Kesler can trust to give the puck to.

salo franchise

Mar 15, 2014
Yeah, I was optimistic about Schroeder before, but Matthias certainly seems like a much stronger option at this point in time.

If Schroeder can beat out Santorelli and the young players coming up for a spot in training camp he might make the team. That said, I think it's pretty unlikely. He just hasn't shown enough to warrant sticking on the team. He's basically Ebbett, albeit, a bit faster and with a better shot. Maybe he'll stay as a 13th forward.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
Another great loss! Love it.

Jensen looks great out there. Constantly a threat every time he's on the ice, what a pleasant surprise.

Burrows is back. Was just a matter of time really. Those injuries and the Sedin's **** play really hurt him this year.

I think it's time to pull the plug on the Schroeder experiment next year. With Matthias and Santo there's just no room for him and he's done nothing to impress whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad