Post-Game Talk: Game #69: Canucks lose 4-3 to the Washington Capitals (Matthias, Schroeder, Jensen)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I don't see the reasoning in holding Lack to Luongo standards. One 12+ year vet who was once touted as the best goalie in the NHL and the other is a 26 year old rookie. While he certainly wasn't amazing this game he does deserve more lenience than Luongo does. Especially at 20% of the salary/caphit.

Those are pretty universal standards for goalies. You should be able to stop a long, slow deflection.

In the film room after, Rollie isn't going to say - oh that's ok you let that one in because you're a rookie. He didn't play well most of the game and that was his chance to do his part to help the team win. He didn't do that, and I think he should be held accountable.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Those are pretty universal standards for goalies. You should be able to stop a long, slow deflection.

In the film room after, Rollie isn't going to say - oh that's ok you let that one in because you're a rookie. He didn't play well most of the game and that was his chance to do his part to help the team win. He didn't do that, and I think he should be held accountable.

Obviously he should be held accountable, but not in the same light as Luongo and Schneider as you seem to be doing. Seems rather unfair for a goalie that barely has NHL experience still.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Obviously he should be held accountable, but not in the same light as Luongo and Schneider as you seem to be doing. Seems rather unfair for a goalie that barely has NHL experience still.

I disagree. People were saying that we dealt our 2nd best goalie, and that Lack was better than Lu and ready to take over the number 1 spot. Based on that I don't see why it's not fair to compare the two.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011

It's Vancouver. We would hold the crappiest goalie in the world to vezina-like standards. We destroy goalies' souls. It's just what we do. The offensive always gets off free though. Now that lu and schneider are gone, Gillis gets all of the heat. :laugh:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I disagree. People were saying that we dealt our 2nd best goalie, and that Lack was better than Lu and ready to take over the number 1 spot. Based on that I don't see why it's not fair to compare the two.

Seems legit.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
It's Vancouver. We would hold the crappiest goalie in the world to vezina-like standards. We destroy goalies' souls. It's just what we do. The offensive always gets off free though. Now that lu and schneider are gone, Gillis gets all of the heat. :laugh:

'Tis the truth.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

It's a 3-3 game. You have X goalie in net. The other team gets it's first shot of the whole period because your team has been charging so hard.

It is not a bullet deflection, or a fluke. It is travelling at low velocity. Your goalie is set, square and on angle.

Should goalie X make the save? Yes, yes he should. And that's the standard an NHL STARTER is held to. If he is a rookie, he presumably has earned the position of starter. It doesn't matter if you're Schneider or Luongo or Lack.

Now of course, as the goalie coach and the goalie himself you don't dwell on the goal and make it a huge deal. But he has to understand that's a situation in a game that he is counted on to make a save. He has to know he can't have an average outing every other game, especially if he is being fed starts like he is now.

I expect a lot of Lack, and you don't get better out of a guy by just dismissing a goal like that because he's a rookie.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
It's a 3-3 game. You have X goalie in net. The other team gets it's first shot of the whole period because your team has been charging so hard.

It is not a bullet deflection, or a fluke. It is travelling at low velocity. Your goalie is set, square and on angle.

Should goalie X make the save? Yes, yes he should. And that's the standard an NHL STARTER is held to. If he is a rookie, he presumably has earned the position of starter. It doesn't matter if you're Schneider or Luongo or Lack.

Now of course, as the goalie coach and the goalie himself you don't dwell on the goal and make it a huge deal. But he has to understand that's a situation in a game that he is counted on to make a save. He has to know he can't have an average outing every other game, especially if he is being fed starts like he is now.

I expect a lot of Lack, and you don't get better out of a guy by just dismissing a goal like that because he's a rookie.

did you even watch the game? Not only did Matthias screen lack but he also deflected it as well. The camera man zoomed in on matthias on the bench and he was absolutely livid with himself.

Lacks fine. Its the defense we have to worry about and again, if you watched the game you would know right up until that goal we were totally hemmed in our own zone running around like a bunch of chickens with our heads cut off.

shout out to d2 mighty ducks yall:yo:

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Eh, I think Bieksa has been markedly worse and even Hamhuis at times has as well. Garrison has had some bad stretches but he's at least producing points.

Bieksa and Hamhuis have had more blatant facepalm worthy gaffs, but I feel both have played notably better than Edler this season, especially Bieksa. Garrison, despite his production, has been god awful. I'd go so far as to say he's our worst regular defenseman as of the moment.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
No issues with Lack tonight, he didn't let in an stinkers. There are things he can work on, I think he can up his lateral movement a bit, and work on getting back into net when he's forced away from the goal, but otherwise I don't see too many problems.

People are just panicking over small samples. Lundqvist was one of the worst goalies in the history of the league to start the season under AV if you look at stats and small samples. Wheelbarrows pushers and panic merchants.........

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I don't see the reasoning in holding Lack to Luongo standards. One 12+ year vet who was once touted as the best goalie in the NHL and the other is a 26 year old rookie. While he certainly wasn't amazing this game he does deserve more lenience than Luongo does. Especially at 20% of the salary/caphit.

I can see the reasoning - we chose Lack to start over Luongo it is a legit comparison. OTOH he is $1m player so it really should be Lack + whatever we do with the salary cap vs Luongo.

Anyway, small sample sizes, where was the panic/omg Lack suck when Lack was killing it before Luongo left. Count all the games not just a small sample. Besides which we need to know how good Lack is so we know what to do in the off season.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Lack needs to work on getting back into his net when things go wrong. i feel like he is watching the play once it scrambles. He is making things way harder then they need to be and puts himself out of position.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I can see the reasoning - we chose Lack to start over Luongo it is a legit comparison. OTOH he is $1m player so it really should be Lack + whatever we do with the salary cap vs Luongo.

Anyway, small sample sizes, where was the panic/omg Lack suck when Lack was killing it before Luongo left. Count all the games not just a small sample. Besides which we need to know how good Lack is so we know what to do in the off season.

Yeah, I don't really get the complaints. Luongo was out of here in the summer anyway, so you might as well see what you have in Lack as a starter while the games are meaningless.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I would like to see an intrepid member of the media ask Torts

1. When will Lack get a break and Markstrom a start
2. If the answer is he doesn't know, under what circumstance does he foresee Markstrom getting a start
3. If he believes getting back up goalies starts is important

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I understand the need to defend our own guys but some of you in here look ridiculous in your attempts to explain and defend Edler. He has been garbage all of this year and dating back a few now. He hasn't been the same since his back surgery. He is one player where I think his +/- is very deserving and telling. He looks like an avg AHler out there often behind the play and in most cases completely out too lunch. It is almost like he's completely forgotten how to play the game. Forget Kesler and a possible retool, the #1 priority for GMMG has got to be figuring out how to convince Edler to waive and get that $5M cap hit off the roster.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Bieksa and Hamhuis have had more blatant facepalm worthy gaffs, but I feel both have played notably better than Edler this season, especially Bieksa. Garrison, despite his production, has been god awful. I'd go so far as to say he's our worst regular defenseman as of the moment.

Garrison's ice time has been pretty low lately as well. Today he played 12:46. :amazed:

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Hopefully Jensen can pick up a few more points and be sent down with some confidence after.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Jensen-Kesler-Kassian
Higgins-Horvat-Hansen
Sestito-Santorelli-Richardson

Let Shinkaruk get some AHL experience and work with the team down there to prepare for the Canucks. If Shinkaruk does play very well in the pre-season though give him a shot in the season.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Hopefully Jensen can pick up a few more points and be sent down with some confidence after.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Jensen-Kesler-Kassian
Higgins-Horvat-Hansen
Sestito-Santorelli-Richardson

Let Shinkaruk get some AHL experience and work with the team down there to prepare for the Canucks. If Shinkaruk does play very well in the pre-season though give him a shot in the season.

Where is Matthias? And Kesler is likely gone. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say your lineup is very different from what we see next October.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam

and we should all boo him and throw eggs at him if he doesn't live up to it !

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
The player that annoys me most in games like this is Booth. Gets set up in front of the net at key times, in choice shooting lanes, and then either misses the net, or shoots it right at the goalie's crest. How this guy ever got known for being a scorer is beyond me. He's worse than useless in games like this. The amount of money the Canucks are paying this guy to do nothing is astonishing. At least Burrows, even when he has barely scored all year, does enough other things to help this team to make his icetime worth it.

Anyone placing a loss like this at the feet of Lack and ignoring the failings of a player like Booth is really missing the point, if you ask me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad