BRUINS GDT GAME 61 7:08 PM - Buffalo charges toward Causeway Street - NESN, NESN 4K, ESPN+, SN (Except Alberta), 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1677758228716.png

1677758261840.png

1677758307146.png

1677758360160.png

1677758398819.png

Important pre-deadline acquisitions. A goalie goal. A franchise record. Wins in different ways.

The Boston Bruins experienced just about everything while sweeping a four-game road trip through Seattle and Western Canada.

With eight more points in the bank to pad their overall NHL lead, the Bruins commence a four-game homestand with Thursday night's visit from the Buffalo Sabres.

"There's always a different hero, and that's what's special about that locker room," Bruins coach Jim Montgomery said. "They kind of have a saying in the locker room: 'Never a doubt.'"

Yet another example of the Bruins' special recipe: Tuesday's 4-3 overtime win in Calgary was their eighth straight dating to Feb. 14.

The Bruins were outshot 57-20, but Dmitry Orlov had two goals and an assist in just his third game with the team, and Charlie McAvoy scored the deciding goal with 4.3 seconds left in the extra session.

One start after scoring the first goalie goal in Bruins history, Linus Ullmark made 54 saves to establish a single-game franchise record.

"We still find a way to come back and win like we have all year," McAvoy said. "You can take a lot of confidence from a game like this."

The Bruins are a bit banged up as forwards Taylor Hall and Nick Foligno are both unlikely to play Thursday due to lower-body injuries. Foligno left in the second period Tuesday after taking a hit along the boards.

Hall returned to Boston following Saturday's game in Vancouver, but Montgomery did not have any further update on his injury before the team headed home from Calgary.

"I don't think it's anything serious, but with back-to-back games we didn't see (Hall) playing so we sent him back," the coach said at Tuesday's morning skate.

Buffalo had won three straight games and five of six before Tuesday's 5-3 loss to Columbus.

The Sabres look to continue their road success in a second trip to Boston this season. Buffalo is 19-8-2 on the road vs. 12-16-2 at home.

"We get on the road, you're not worried about making it perfect. It's a more direct mentality," Sabres coach Don Granato said. "You can add up the numbers, obviously, home and road at this point of the year. I think just moving forward we just have to compete better, compete every night the same way whether it's home or road."

Rookie Jack Quinn had a goal and an assist, while Tage Thompson continued his stellar season with his 41st goal, becoming the fastest Sabre to the 80-point mark since 1992-93.

Thompson's goal total ranks third in the league behind Edmonton's Connor McDavid and the Bruins' David Pastrnak, who has 42 but has not scored in three games.

Thompson and Jeff Skinner are in the midst of seven-game point streaks.

Quinn's goal was the first of two in Tuesday's third period, but Buffalo could not complete the comeback.

"Not a lot of lessons this time of year. You gotta win," captain Kyle Okposo said. "We know our game. We know our foundation, we know what we have to do to be successful. We didn't come out and play well enough in the first two periods to win a game. We move on and we try to win the next one."

The NHL leaders will not make it easy, but one of the blemishes on Boston's 24-2-3 home record is a 4-3 overtime loss to Buffalo on New Year's Eve.

Concessionaire

That could have gone better.
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2003
New Orleans
Bruins win in strange ways and it is fun, but please just win tonight and don't get hurt.

I can't help but like Buffalo and Tage T. I want the Bs to win but Buffalo is one of the teams I wish good things for. (Except when they play the Bs)

GO Bs
It’s been a bit sad watching Buffalo (and their fans) struggle the past few years. But do we really need one more powerhouse team in the Atlantic Division? It’s getting ridiculous!

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
Thoughts on dressing 7 Defensemen. We could play Gryz if we need to up our transition game. If we’re getting hemmed in with a heavy forecheck. Use Forbert. When not on D, play Gryz/Forbert with Nosek and Greer on 4th line until Hall or Foligno come back.

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
Third team desperate for points in four nights. I'm a bit worried about letdown by the B's after a very successful road trip combined with a playoffs mentality from Buffalo. B's are far better, but I'd be happy if they take one point out of this game.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
First game back from a long road trip… I always want a win but I’m not feeling this one. The guys were exhausted and a long flight home can’t be terribly restful.

In my opinion, it might be time to start giving Bergeron, Krejci, and Marchand some nights off. I know there’s a bit of a lull next week, but it’s time to start planning for the “second season.” I trust Montgomery, but the Bruins are a veteran team, and a little rest might do some guys good. The playoffs are a grind.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Sorry about this but or selfish reasons...go Buffalo!
I’m going to pry. (We’re all friends here, right?)

Do you have a friend or relative playing for the Sabres tonight? A friend or relative who’s a Sabres fan and really sick who wants to see a win over the Bs to help them recover?

…do you have a gambling problem…?

All kidding aside, enjoy the game.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Bruins continue to break records

The Bruins are the first team in league history to beat 31 different opponents in a single regular season. Of course, the strong caveat here is that the league has only had 32 teams for two seasons. The Kraken became the 32nd team when they debuted in 2021-22.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I think he wants another Bruins trade as the result of a loss.

So no Dahlin or Tuch. Those are pretty big losses for them.

I'm just excited for another Bruins W and to watch TT play.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I’m going to pry. (We’re all friends here, right?)

Do you have a friend or relative playing for the Sabres tonight? A friend or relative who’s a Sabres fan and really sick who wants to see a win over the Bs to help them recover?

…do you have a gambling problem…?

All kidding aside, enjoy the game.
Ha!

I reside 45 minutes from the Buffalo KeyBank arena...Watching a Sabre/Bruin playoff series would be kinda of cool.

I will be at the Bruin/Sabre game later this month.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Thoughts on dressing 7 Defensemen. We could play Gryz if we need to up our transition game. If we’re getting hemmed in with a heavy forecheck. Use Forbert. When not on D, play Gryz/Forbert with Nosek and Greer on 4th line until Hall or Foligno come back.
I hate it

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I think he wants another Bruins trade as the result of a loss.

So no Dahlin or Tuch. Those are pretty big losses for them.

I'm just excited for another Bruins W and to watch TT play.
I didn't realize they were both out...Will it be for extended time?

That is significant for the Sabres.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad