Post-Game Talk: Game #54: Oilers 4, Canucks 2 || Oilers win, The Rebuild is Over!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

thebigbea

Jun 14, 2011
Just another atrocious effort from the "top players" tonight. It's almost a joke at this point, but aside from Luongo, which high paid Canucks have earned their salary over the past six weeks? It's one thing for one or two guys to be slumping, it's completely different when the entire core of your team stops producing for lengthy stretches.

Guys like Kesler and Daniel Sedin look like ghosts of them former selves in the offensive zone. Defensively, it's hard to watch Garrison-Edler play and know that's a $9.6 million dollar per year defensive pairing.

At what point do you make a significant change to the core and start holding some of these players accountable?

Agree.. If burrows and Daniel got their act together and play average, this team wouldn't be this bad right now.. PP continue to be a joke

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
That third period was tough to watch. It's hard to win in this league with the atrocious center depth we are stuck with right now but we should still get some pressure against that soft pond hockey team.

Topp Spin

STIHL 286
Dec 4, 2010
Alberta
That third period was tough to watch. It's hard to win in this league with the atrocious center depth we are stuck with right now but we should still get some pressure against that soft pond hockey team.

Pretty despicable effort considering they were down a goal most of the 3rd and failed to generate a scoring chance until the latter minutes of the game against what is probably the worst defense in the league.

Extremely frustrating to watch...

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
good job by schroeder and kassian tonight for actually bringing the puck to the net...sometimes i think they look like unorthodox players in the canucks system because they wont endlessly cycle and look for the low percentage drop or cross ice pass...it can lead to miatakes but it adds unpredictability which is sorely missing in the canucks core

d sedin, kesler, edler...tough to win when these players are playing so poorly, doubly so when the best player on the team is injured and the coach is suspended

ill reserve any long term judgments until h sedin and tortorella return, but my outlooks for d sedin and edler are pretty grim at this point

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Wow, we lost to the Oilers... This team just continues to go beyond my worst expectations. It doesn't appear to me like this core gives a damn about winning or losing.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Anyone else think Daniel is playing with a fairly significant injury? He's been far more useless than I ever thought he could be.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I'm glad to know that my outlook is worth less than everyone else's.

i don't think i suggested that at all.

it's not as bad as the doom and gloom posters may insist, but it is rapidly reaching the point where the eternal optimists should be ignored too.

disagree. the optimists may or may not be wrong. if you're going to ignore dissenting opinions, why even have a message board?

but the doomers and gloomers may or may not be wrong, PLUS they are actively trying to make sure everyone else enjoys watching hockey as little as they do. hence the ignore button.

LolClarkson*

Who cares about the result if Schredder played good ? That's all that matters really. It's do or die for one of our coveted picks. We should be extatic that he looked like an NHL player

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I'm not sure if I've ever seen this team give up so many turnovers. Ergh.

That was the main problem to me, or, the fact that their passes weren't connecting. Slowed them right down.

The Oilers too played a sound defensive game.

I would cut back minutes of the top2 lines, spread the talent amongst the 4 lines and actually roll the lines for once. Who scored the GWG for EDM? Their 4th line. It makes a huge difference to the collective energy of the team.

I would also give Kesler, Daniel and Burrows less PK time. Give them no excuse for not bringing energy on every shift. At the same time giving more opportunity to the rest of the roster.

PRNuck

May 20, 2009
Calgary
Anyone else think Daniel is playing with a fairly significant injury? He's been far more useless than I ever thought he could be.

Has to be, this is shocking. Unfortunately he probably won't take time off so he can lord being Ironman over Henrik :sarcasm: (No but seriously this is awful)

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
I think he was just a victim of circumstance. Obviously they wanted to give Richo the minutes after the OT goal, and Shredder was getting it done during the game.

Still would have tried to find a way to get him on the ice more...

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Really doesn't take much for you guys to hit the panic button.

And I suppose you think that our team is really a cup contender?

Sedins = Not producing like the stars they were before. But at age 33 they should still be producing more points than they are right now.

Kesler = Hasn't been that bad but we can get a lot if we move him and Bieksa. Edler is good for future.

Burrows = He is just snakebitten right now.

Higgins = Not even a top 6 player.

Kassian = He is in development but is starting to look better.

Thats our top 6.

LolClarkson*

And I suppose you think that our team is really a cup contender?

Sedins = Not producing like the stars they were before. But at age 33 they should still be producing more points than they are right now.

Kesler = Hasn't been that bad but we can get a lot if we move him and Bieksa. Edler is good for future.

Burrows = He is just snakebitten right now.

Higgins = Not even a top 6 player.

Kassian = He is in development but is starting to look better.

Thats our top 6.

Higgins has been our best forward all year and that's what you have to say ?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I think he was just a victim of circumstance. Obviously they wanted to give Richo the minutes after the OT goal, and Shredder was getting it done during the game.

Still would have tried to find a way to get him on the ice more...

This is the kind of game where it sucked not having Tortorella. IMO he would've had less patience with the line combinations and would not have demoted Dalpe after a 2 point game against the Coyotes.

Soth

Feb 18, 2010
So funny to hear the negative nancy's out in full force in this thread. I figured this would be a tough game, and it was. I don't like that we started Lu in back to back games, especially considering his previous game was shaky at best.

People proclaiming this team worst in the NHL - Maybe look back to our December record, when we were one of the most dominant teams in the NHL for a full month. This team is better than people are giving it credit for. We are slumping, but will come out of the slump. Where we finish in the standings doesnt matter much, no matter how you slice it we are going to be playing a very strong team in the first round.

That LA game gave me a lot of hope. Our team played it with playoff intensity, and if that is how we play every game in the playoffs we have as good a chance to win as anyone.

Anyway, let the doom and gloom resume.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
So funny to hear the negative nancy's out in full force in this thread. I figured this would be a tough game, and it was. I don't like that we started Lu in back to back games, especially considering his previous game was shaky at best.

People proclaiming this team worst in the NHL - Maybe look back to our December record, when we were one of the most dominant teams in the NHL for a full month. This team is better than people are giving it credit for. We are slumping, but will come out of the slump. Where we finish in the standings doesnt matter much, no matter how you slice it we are going to be playing a very strong team in the first round.

That LA game gave me a lot of hope. Our team played it with playoff intensity, and if that is how we play every game in the playoffs we have as good a chance to win as anyone.

Anyway, let the doom and gloom resume.

Easy there. Have to get in first which is no lock.

Call it they way it is: aging playoff bubble team dealing with injuries and currently in a slump.

Doesn't mean the slump will go away fully and who's to say the injured players are going to come back fully healthy?

Henrik might come back and try and play through the pain but not be where he was.

Santo could possibly be done for the season if surgery is required.

Daniel and Burrows can't finish their own dinner atm.

This team has done what it has so far because of goaltending and solid d.

If both or either of those let up this team will not make the playoffs IMO as they can't score.

Soth

Feb 18, 2010
Easy there. Have to get in first which is no lock.

Call it they way it is: aging playoff bubble team dealing with injuries and currently in a slump.

Doesn't mean the slump will go away fully and who's to say the injured players are going to come back fully healthy?

Henrik might come back and try and play through the pain but not be where he was.

Santo could possibly be done for the season if surgery is required.

Daniel and Burrows can't finish their own dinner atm.

This team has done what it has so far because of goaltending and solid d.

If both or either of those let up this team will not make the playoffs IMO as they can't score.

Lol. This team is too good not to make the playoffs. I guess in your mind they are a bunch of old foggies limping to the rink with their canes.

No doubt we are struggling. All teams have slumps - as was said Chicago has only won 4 games in January. Torts will be back soon and he will whip them out of the slump. I'm looking forward to the playoffs this year, as I think we have a solid chance of making it all the way. The team will bring intensity to the post-season, and lack of intensity is killing us right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad