Post-Game Talk: Game #52: Canucks lose 2-1 to the Predators - Prospal, please help us...or retire...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Once again I feel like Bleach Clean is on the money, but I really think Kesler needs to be the left side shooter on the PP.

Penciling Kassian in for the front of net role is a missed opportunity imo. He's shown his QB skills on the 2nd unit the past couple of games, and clearly has a tendency to pass more than shoot. Not sure if he doesn't deserve to be on the 1st unit, but he's definitely changed the complexion of the 2nd.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Once again I feel like Bleach Clean is on the money, but I really think Kesler needs to be the left side shooter on the PP.

Penciling Kassian in for the front of net role is a missed opportunity imo. He's shown his QB skills on the 2nd unit the past couple of games, and clearly has a tendency to pass more than shoot. Not sure if he doesn't deserve to be on the 1st unit, but he's definitely changed the complexion of the 2nd.

Depends, I think. ZK can rotate between the left side of the net (goalie's right) for making/receiving cross-crease passes and a net-front position when they just want to hammer pucks in from the points.

Frees up Kesler's one-timer which IMO has been what's really missing from PP1: a consistent RH shot.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Depends, I think. ZK can rotate between the left side of the net (goalie's right) for making/receiving cross-crease passes and a net-front position when they just want to hammer pucks in from the points.

Frees up Kesler's one-timer which IMO has been what's really missing from PP1: a consistent RH shot.

Our pp has so many issues.

No one can make a seam pass. it is just a merry-go-round on the outside. Every effective powerplay i've watch this year has guys making passes between opposing players to the back door. Henrik used to make that pass all the time.

That right hand shot is an issue. Kesler should be on the point.

Any time something works, it becomes all the players look for. There is no creativity anymore.

Personnel on the PP needs to change. Burrows and Hamhuis on the power play shows the very sad state that our power play is in.

Wetcoaster

Our pp has so many issues.

No one can make a seam pass.
You did watch the game last night, did you not?

Dan Hamhuis had a number of chances backdoor on such plays. He just could not put the biscuit in the basket.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
If it affects everyone it shouldn't an excuse.

You realize that something can be a contributing factor or reason without being an excuse right? He can't change the value of a dollar, lower league minimum or force players to sign deals worth 25% of the players' actual values. This is the internet though so I'm sure everyone will complain that Gillis doesn't sell off valuable assets for low value to acquire "the preshusssssss cap space". Because this is the internet the OPTION of signing a totally different player is obviously the superior choice to actually having a player. And because we love the internet, these people would inevitably complain if Gillis did move an asset because no matter the return, it will still be seen as too little (cough Schneider cough).

An excuse is blaming David Booth for being the sole reason Canucks don't have a cup.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
You realize that something can be a contributing factor or reason without being an excuse right? He can't change the value of a dollar, lower league minimum or force players to sign deals worth 25% of the players' actual values. This is the internet though so I'm sure everyone will complain that Gillis doesn't sell off valuable assets for low value to acquire "the preshusssssss cap space". Because this is the internet the OPTION of signing a totally different player is obviously the superior choice to actually having a player. And because we love the internet, these people would inevitably complain if Gillis did move an asset because no matter the return, it will still be seen as too little (cough Schneider cough).

An excuse is blaming David Booth for being the sole reason Canucks don't have a cup.

I understand what you are trying to say. However, last year when Gillis blamed the shortened season for a crappy year for the Nucks I believed he was using that as an excuse. I think he will do the same thing with a lowering of the cap.

EDIT - If he believes those reason to be the case I think he is overlooking the main factors which is a declining core and with it, a bad offense.

Last edited:

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
A one for one defenseman for top 6 forward trade will not change this team's fortunes this year. In addition to that forward we need 2 more high end third line pieces to be able to compete.

You're also going to have to integrate them into the team with only a few months left to spare and rentals have not been kind to teams in the past few years. We've barely restocked our bare cupboards and I think we'll be even worse than the Flames if we start trading those guys away for something that can't help us.

Some of these posts are pretty delusional. We all want to be able to make noise in the playoffs now but you have to face facts here, the mid-season trades some of you are hoping for rarely have the effect that they are intended to.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
A one for one defenseman for top 6 forward trade will not change this team's fortunes this year. In addition to that forward we need 2 more high end third line pieces to be able to compete.

If the Canucks add a top 6 forward, they would have an excellent 3rd line without any additions.

Sedin Sedin Burrows
XXX Kesler Kassian
Higgins Santorelli Hansen
Booth Richardson Sestito

Swap Kassian and Higgins if need be. Either way, this team is really only desperate for 1 piece - an impact player in the top 6. Though that's easier said than done when you're not willing to move youth to address needs, and IMO Gillis won't move more youth.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013

You're also going to have to integrate them into the team with only a few months left to spare and rentals have not been kind to teams in the past few years. We've barely restocked our bare cupboards and I think we'll be even worse than the Flames if we start trading those guys away for something that can't help us.

Some of these posts are pretty delusional. We all want to be able to make noise in the playoffs now but you have to face facts here, the mid-season trades some of you are hoping for rarely have the effect that they are intended to.

True, but but you need to start taking steps if/where you can.

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
If the Canucks add a top 6 forward, they would have an excellent 3rd line without any additions.

Sedin Sedin Burrows
XXX Kesler Kassian
Higgins Santorelli Hansen
Booth Richardson Sestito

Swap Kassian and Higgins if need be. Either way, this team is really only desperate for 1 piece - an impact player in the top 6. Though that's easier said than done when you're not willing to move youth to address needs, and IMO Gillis won't move more youth.

Santorelli is currently injured and we don't know when he will be back. He is also untested in the playoffs, can he chip in when the checking gets tighter?

Higgins has also proven nothing in the playoffs. We harped on Raymond for his inability to produce in the playoffs yet you could argue that Higgins has done worse. Hansen has also scored around the same pace as them.

The Canucks will be icing a 3rd line of misfits while the Sharks have the luxury of Joe Pavelski. Think about it.

Even with the addition of a top-6 forward, there just isn't enough scoring depth in the lineup to compete against the Sharks, Kings and Hawks.

True, but but you need to start taking steps if/where you can.

Agree but that's the caveat. The right opportunities have to present themselves.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Santorelli is currently injured and we don't know when he will be back. He is also untested in the playoffs, can he chip in when the checking gets tighter?

Higgins has also proven nothing in the playoffs. We harped on Raymond for his inability to produce in the playoffs yet you could argue that Higgins has done worse. Hansen has also scored around the same pace as them.

The Canucks will be icing a 3rd line of misfits while the Sharks have the luxury of Joe Pavelski. Think about it.

Even with the addition of a top-6 forward, there just isn't enough scoring depth in the lineup to compete against the Sharks, Kings and Hawks.

Pavelski is a terrible example of a third line center. Aside from Colorado there is no other team in the league with that caliber of player playing on the third line.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
If it affects everyone it shouldn't an excuse.

I agree with you. It's a level playing field, if the GM can't adapt because he didn't have enough foresight that's on him. Sometimes things don't work out like we expect them to at all, and GMs are only human, but things like handing NTCs like candy with the understanding they won't be bothered to waive is crippling moving forward. The only way to change this team is to go back on that, which IMO is preferable but not honourable.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Pavelski is a terrible example of a third line center. Aside from Colorado there is no other team in the league with that caliber of player playing on the third line.

He doesn't even really play on the 3rd line anyway. He plays 20 minutes a night, gets nearly 4 minutes of PP time a night, and Thornton and Burns are his 2nd and 3rd most consistent linemates at 5-on-5.

He's about as much of a 3rd line center as Kesler is.

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada

Yeah, terrible example and the Sharks are one of the teams that the Canucks will have to go through. We're not talking about whether its a bad example. The reality is, the Sharks are able to do that.

The Kings can ice a lineup of Kopitar, Richards, Carter, Stoll down the middle if they wanted to. Last year with the addition of Penner, they were pretty much able to ice a a first line and 2 second lines at times. This is the depth level the Canucks will have to reach to compete.

He doesn't even really play on the 3rd line anyway. He plays 20 minutes a night, gets nearly 4 minutes of PP time a night, and Thornton and Burns are his 2nd and 3rd most consistent linemates at 5-on-5.

He's about as much of a 3rd line center as Kesler is.

Yeah, he isn't a 3rd line center and the ability to move him up and down the lineup whenever they want is deadly. When you can throw out Thornton, Couture and Pavelski as your 3 centers, its not hard to see why the Canucks are hard pressed to win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad