Post-Game Talk: Game #52: Canucks lose 2-1 to the Predators - Prospal, please help us...or retire...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Anyone else happy Edler has resumed playing solid defensively again? I havent watched much of the games recently but he has looked good.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Honestly, I don't know why people defend the Sedins on their production lately and don't come to terms that their clearly on the down side of their career, remember how constant they use to be with scoring atleast every few games and how they could dominate a game, they just don't do either anymore. I think their becoming 2nd liners at this point in their career, which is acceptable given their age but not at 7 million and our main offense threat, this contract sucks a lot. Sedins can't run our offense anymore and this season has made that clear, signs were showing last year too.

We should make it to the playoffs but this team isn't doing any damage in the post season, this team isn't that good and we don't have the pieces coming up to form that future top line that we might be in need of much sooner then we all thought. Our D is a mess and made up of mostly defensive defense man with the pairing(righties to lefties) all buggered up and its kinda soft. Our goaltending could be a big issue next season if we do move Luongo to Florida. This team is in need of help all throughout its roster, we have zero scoring, its so bad that Zack Kassian has been the standout for us this last bit, which is great to see him doing good but at the same time kinda sad.

Its sad to see how this team just got destroyed after the SCF, such a steep decline and now we're in a very tough spot, trade core players to bring in youth to help speed this up or run this core to the ground and die a slow Flames death, it'll be the latter.

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
For anyone who's keeping track, that is 6 goals in our last 6 games.

It's pretty incredible that our goaltending has kept us in all of them, minus one. In our last 7 games we are 3-4. We have scored 8 goals in that stretch and have never scored more than 2 goals in a game. Yet we won 3 of them. I think Luongo's been the mvp of the team this year so far.

But at some point we'll need to score. Of the 16 current playoff teams, only two of them have scored fewer goals than us. One of them, Montreal, is only 3 goals back, and has 2 games to catch up, and probably will. So that really only leaves Minnesota.

Pittsburgh scored as many goals today as we have in our last six games. I would think by sure luck we'd get some flukey goals... but no. Actually from what I've seen we've had terrible puck luck this year; pretty much all year. On top of that I believe the Sedins are and have been playing injured for quite a while (obviously Henrik is out now, but I believe they've both been injured for a while).

Even the Oilers have scored more goals than us this year... tear it all down? Heck-bad for Ekblad?

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
Honestly, I don't know why people defend the Sedins on their production lately and don't come to terms that their clearly on the down side of their career, remember how constant they use to be with scoring atleast every few games and how they could dominate a game, they just don't do either anymore. I think their becoming 2nd liners at this point in their career, which is acceptable given their age but not at 7 million and our main offense threat, this contract sucks a lot. Sedins can't run our offense anymore and this season has made that clear, signs were showing last year too.

We should make it to the playoffs but this team isn't doing any damage in the post season, this team isn't that good and we don't have the pieces coming up to form that future top line that we might be in need of much sooner then we all thought. Our D is a mess and made up of mostly defensive defense man with the pairing(righties to lefties) all buggered up and its kinda soft. Our goaltending could be a big issue next season if we do move Luongo to Florida. This team is in need of help all throughout its roster, we have zero scoring, its so bad that Zack Kassian has been the standout for us this last bit, which is great to see him doing good but at the same time kinda sad.

Its sad to see how this team just got destroyed after the SCF, such a steep decline and now we're in a very tough spot, trade core players to bring in youth to help speed this up or run this core to the ground and die a slow Flames death, it'll be the latter.

Step away from the keyboard. :help:

I think you're being a little over-dramatic here. The Flames are at least playing as well as they can given their roster and the Oilers have shown that just getting a bunch of number one picks and giving them the reigns to the team doesn't really work either.

The Sharks, Kings and Blackhawks are showing that the best way is to have your young pieces grow alongside your core. We weren't going to be contenders this year and this is the growing pains the team has to go through.

Sedins are signed and are here to stay so no amount of complaining is going to change that. Besides, there's really not much we can do to replace a whole top line so its the other areas that need to be bolstered. Kassian, Tanev and Lack are up with the team and that's a start. They're showing that they have more to give and are getting better. The rest of the farm needs to come through soon. Guys like Gaunce, Jensen, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Corrado, Lain will need to come through in the next 2 years if we want to have another shot while the core can still play.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

This actually highlights one of the key problems with this PP: right shots. Easier to shoot cross ice and easier to pass. On that play, Hamhuis is putting that puck away short side, or it's nothing. (Passes by Burrows could have been better as well)

I don't know why the coaching staff doesn't take shot handedness more seriously? It can have a dramatic affect on the PP. Look at Weber's one-timer the other game for proof.

Any time I see a left-shot on the left point I know that PP is going to have issues. If you're going to look for that cross ice one-timer, have the right shot there.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Just because Henrik got injured a couple weeks ago doesn't excuse his performance prior to that. It also doesn't excuse Daniel's performance.

That's true enough but the Sedins hadn't *really* struggled til about then. They were still getting their chances they usually do and were in a textbook case of what I've coined for the frustrating but imminent stretch of play from them I like to call "Scoring is OK, but look at all this passing and deking we can do-itis".

OK, so it's a lame name. But it does I believe accurately represent how the they play sometimes. They get so complex that sometimes I think they forget to shoot, not that that actually happens in there minds but everyone with eyes can see the Sedins aren't shooters. Neither of them are really that good at it, but there was a time where Daniel was, I think that time has passed and it hurts them offensively as really the only other shooter on this team is Kesler and he's nowhere close to where his shot used to be. Our only other good shooter isn't even good anymore (Edler).

Seriously, what the **** happened to that guy? Didn't watch the game tonight but the guy has handled the puck like it's a burden all season and since the suspension he's been playing softer than somewhere between a clump of wet toilet paper and warm butter.

Sedins haven't been good enough but you're right, Burrows and Kesler also haven't been good enough either.

I'm pretty confident in stating the only players who have actually carried their weight have been Santorelli, Kassian, Tanev and the goalies. Everyone else has been mediocre at best. They didn't all suddenly regress, it's just the effects of a transitional year.

Ehhh...transitional though or years gone bye? Burr has had a really tough year, doesn't look bad but it's been clear for sometime he's no nose for the net like he used to. Kesler even after his surgeries in 2011 offseason, that guy was a different beast from what we see now. Less...intense. I really do hope he's saving it for the playoffs but we'll see. One thing is clear is that his intensity really drove him to be a certain kind of player, I really like that player. It's what made me a big fan of his. But it doesn't take Joe Blow to figure it takes a huge toll even on someone so dedicated to fitness as he is.

Beyond that, as far as offense goes, Gillis is responsible. As much as we all like our Higgins, Hansen, Richardson, Schroeder, Kassian we all know that they are no offensive threat (in the latter two, at least not for now). I mean really without Santo playing like he has...could you even imagine? We'd be screwed. It really shows with the moves (or lack thereof) this year, cap be damned that this is pretty much a throwaway year anyhow. For all we know, we are with ~25 games of NHL net experience next year.

I do really like what Gillis had done with his pieces, but his willingness to give out NTCs like that (which I don't mind, modified) but then to say we won't ask them to waive in confidence? It's crazy. We'll have no choice next year to ask to waive some players barring something extraordinarily drastic this offseason...starting with getting rid of $4.25 million of what is essentially empty cap space. Sorry David, but it's true.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Some of the posts in this thread are just ridiculous. Maybe don't say anything if it's only going to make you look bad the next day? :shakehead

whatever. sorry guys im out. im not a canucks fan anymore. whoever wins the stanley cup this year is my team. then the whoever wins the next year etc.

Boohoo. Only support a team when they win?

This post makes me sick.

Agreed.

What a useless stat, 2014 consists of 23 days thus far.

:laugh:

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
You don't seem to understand; small sample sizes are only a problem when they make Luongo look bad.

Ouch indeed...

Haha ouch. Too true.

Anyway, The PP actually looked good early. Didnt convert. This is different than the PP being awful from the ground up.

They really need to get at least two right shots out there, and most importantly, when they set up, they have to still keep moving. Totally stationary when set up trying to overload.

Missed the game but from the highlights I liked the down low setup from Daniel. The problem was having Hamhuis be the shooter instead of a RH shot that gives them a one-timer option... like Kassian. So frustrating they won't even give him a look there if they're going to use that play. At least put Kesler on that spot or something at the very least and have Burrows or Higgins take his place. Seriously, who runs this PP?

I like Gully but again I reiterate that I would've loved Boucher here as the PP coach.

Well hey, if some team wants them then good riddance. They can be someone else's problem and we can move on and begin the rebuild.

Lol. That's all I have to say, really.

Last edited:

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Team is what it is: Bubble playoff team in the West in need of a game-changing hockey trade.

I'm under the belief that it won't happen.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Team is what it is: Bubble playoff team in the West in need of a game-changing hockey trade.

I'm with ya. The next four years are actually quite bleak, and I'm a bit overwhelmed by a sense of hopelessness. I fully expect what we saw last night to be the norm. Unless we decide to donate our goaltending, at which point we would become the New York Islanders minus John Tavares.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
I'm with ya. The next four years are actually quite bleak, and I'm a bit overwhelmed by a sense of hopelessness. I fully expect what we saw last night to be the norm. Unless we decide to donate our goaltending, at which point we would become the New York Islanders minus John Tavares.

Hey man, there is help out there if you need it. Don't be afraid to ask.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Some of the posts in this thread are just ridiculous. Maybe don't say anything if it's only going to make you look bad the next day? :shakehead

These people need to post what they're posting.

Maybe we could start a thread on the main board seeking out placements for these posters on other team boards? I'm sure there's a ton of room on the Jets and Blue Jackets bandwagons, we could get these guys in pretty much on the ground floor.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

This is probably true. Unless Gillis makes a mid-season trade, this year is certainly a write-off. But that means Gillis has to balance what he can do mid-season with what kind of roster makeover he can do around the draft and decide what the best course of action is.

The team definitely needs to move defense for offense, though.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
This is probably true. Unless Gillis makes a mid-season trade, this year is certainly a write-off. But that means Gillis has to balance what he can do mid-season with what kind of roster makeover he can do around the draft and decide what the best course of action is.

The team definitely needs to move defense for offense, though.

I pointed this out last year, but Gillis was so infatuated with his core that he didn't want to make any changes. Furthermore, even people here were blinded by the coaching change thinking it would actually improve the team. Is this the year Gillis finally admits what he has isn't good enough?

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I pointed this out last year, but Gillis was so infatuated with his core that he didn't want to make any changes. Furthermore, even people here were blinded by the coaching change thinking it would actually improve the team. Is this the year Gillis finally admits what he has isn't good enough?

I think Gillis just realized how difficult it would be to re-tool the roster with the cap decreasing and very few people willing to make trades. What was he going to do last off-season? The free agent market was terrible and the Canucks had no money, especially once they decided to keep Luongo.

The Canucks are set to have a lot of free capital this summer. Now until July is the time for Gillis to aggressively change the team dynamic.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I think Gillis just realized how difficult it would be to re-tool the roster with the cap decreasing and very few people willing to make trades. What was he going to do last off-season? The free agent market was terrible and the Canucks had no money, especially once they decided to keep Luongo.

The Canucks are set to have a lot of free capital this summer. Now until July is the time for Gillis to aggressively change the team dynamic.

Every team saw a decrease in the cap though, and every team will have a lot more cap space this upcoming season. If Booth isn't bought out, only 2 or 3 teams in the league have fewer cap space than we do. That's not promising at all.

Also there were a number of good offensive players who could have helped is who were traded. I listed a bunch earlier, but they include Bobby Ryan, Loui Eriksson, Tyler Seguin, and David Perron. There's a few more too.

I just await Gillis's excuses that he comes up with in the last week of April. I made a list of what they would be in a thread a couple months ago, and I'd be shocked if he doesn't use at least half of them.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

For me, I just don't see the Canucks doing anything as far as significant FA signings in the summer either.

When the Canucks have $$, so does pretty much every other team.

And teams ALWAYS overpay during FA.

Florida has already stated they can spend to the cap. That tells me they are in line to spend stupid money on FA again.

The Isles are an up-and-coming team and will have their Brooklyn move and $$ to spend to use.

I just see more disappointment during FA if anyone expects us to sign a big name player.

IMO, hockey trades are where it's at.

Now I don't think anything happens during the season but I also don't know if it happen during the offseason if Gillis is so reluctant to not move someone with a NTC.

Hopefully, based on rumours that he is willing to do that but only in the off-season, we see changes.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
This actually highlights one of the key problems with this PP: right shots. Easier to shoot cross ice and easier to pass. On that play, Hamhuis is putting that puck away short side, or it's nothing. (Passes by Burrows could have been better as well)

I don't know why the coaching staff doesn't take shot handedness more seriously? It can have a dramatic affect on the PP. Look at Weber's one-timer the other game for proof.

Any time I see a left-shot on the left point I know that PP is going to have issues. If you're going to look for that cross ice one-timer, have the right shot there.
On that pass Hamhuis has to take the pass across his body then he has to rotate his blade to shoot short side in so close.

Because hes in so close I makes the angle that much more difficult.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Power play is horrid. It should be a big body in front of the goalie to screen (kassian) and off hand shots from the point so the opposition can't just key on one point shot. Is this really so hard?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I honestly thought we as a community saw this coming and hedged our expectations.

New coach (of whom Ranger fans told us what to expect), missing players over the last few seasons (Malhotra, Ehrhoff, Samuelson, Raymond, Schneider, Mitchell, Salo), off ice drama (Luongo's non-trade)...I mean I'm no pessimist when it comes to the Canucks chances, but I thought I was part of the majority that didn't expect more than a wildcard spot this season with all these changes. No? Am I alone in waiting for the retool to give us a list of needs that needs filling, tweaking, and being ready in the very near future?

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Power play is horrid. It should be a big body in front of the goalie to screen (kassian) and off hand shots from the point so the opposition can't just key on one point shot. Is this really so hard?

It apparently is.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012

Nah he'll probably blame our offence on puck luck and say its only been a year since we made tweeks, this is a long process.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad