Post-Game Talk: GAME #5 - Canucks 1, Sharks 4 - California Meltdown Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
Win or lose, that was a fun game to watch. I was very entertained. For me, I still consider this basically the preseason, that one had some real feeling to it even if it was pretty sloppy. Some thoughts:

1. Wiese and Raymond had some good looks on the PK, I think they ought to get some more time there
2. Strong game by Ballard
3. how many freaking times did we hit the post tonite?
4. Who else thinks Luongo would have won this one, or at least given us more of a chance?
5. Who are the guys bringing it right now? Kassian, Volpatti, Wiese, Hansen, Ballard.
7. Rough night for the Sedins
8. Is there a douchier team out there than San Jose? Seriously, everything our enemies say about the Canucks is true about the Sharks.
9. LOL at Clowe
10. We should have freaking won this game.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
few thoughts:

- the result was disappointing obviously, but at least it was a pretty entertaining game to watch. this early in the season, when nothing is clicking and AV is doing god knows what, that's about as much as you can ask for.

- difference between schneids and luongo: if this had been luongo and he let in two goals in the first three and a half minutes, the game would have been over. i'm not saying this to bash lou or to prop up schneids, i like both guys, but the way schneids buckled up and kept us in the game until the lapierre penalty at the end of the second, luongo has rarely done that. much more often, two quick goals becomes a blowout.

- scrotes looked great. very curious to see where he's at after a couple more games, after the adrenaline of finally making the bigs wears off. but in a third line role, i'm hoping he can put together the career that brendan morrison was meant to have but didn't because he was miscast as a number one center here.

- edler and garrison better be putting in major hours practicing blueline feeds and one-timers. put it on his tape, alex. hit the friggin' net, gary. really, the whole first unit needs to be busting its butt in practice working on the PP. what we saw last game was partly sedin magic, but clearly also was bad PKing. sedins tried those same tight passes to the open shooter this game and it was picked off every time.

- nothing else to add other than

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I agree, it's noticeable how the d-men are pausing before passing or shooting. I think with that kind of strategy, you need an Ehrhoff-type who can move the puck around or shoot a lot quicker than Garrison or Edler appear capable of. Use the personnel you do have, and have them take a few more shots. Ideally, without pausing so much.

To me its frustrating because thats why shots are not getting through for awhile now, they take way to much time before they shoot and it gives other teams way to much time to setup and block shots, its infuriating and i dont know why it has not been adjusted, its been happening for a number of years. Edler has a great shot but watch him the past number of years, and he constantly looks around for passes before he decides to shoot it.

Garrisson was brought in to be a big shot, its never going to happen if he is being told think pass, and think about your options before you shoot it (if that is whats happening), he needs to be told to blast it right away when he can before teams setup up in front. He did it in flordia, why the change here? ALl i can think is its our coaching staff.

All our defense men are like that, they always think pass before shoot. How many one timer goals do canucks score compared to other teams?

Karlsson had a beauty the other night, and i know hes got a great shot, but edler and garrison are no slouch shooting either.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Lapierre, on the other hand, has been absolutely dreadful. Unlike Higgins, whose invisibility in every facet, Laps manages to become a liability with stupid penalties and poor defense. During the off season he made claims of "cleaning up his act" but unfortunately, failed to realize his act is what made him effective. At this point, he ought to be benched until "Happy Lappy" returns.

Garrison has, frankly been underwhelming. Not particularly bad per se but neither a defensive stalwart either. For whatever reason, his offense is nonexistent and he is prone to sloppy play, especially in our own zone. While we can continue to hope chemistry builds, one has to wonder if Garrison was a product of Campbell.

Agreed. Happy Lappy was successful Lappy. But more than just the attitude change...He looks stupid slow right now on the ice. Maybe not entirely just physical speed lost with his alleged 'bulk up'...but in the way he plays the game.

Lapierre's biggest asset when he turned it on here, was that he flew around the ice like a missile, hitting anything that moved, swooping in on the backcheck, etc. So far this season, he's looked like he's trying to become some sort of puck-protecting 'power forward extraordinaire'. And that's just not his game. Far too often you see him hold up and look for ways to protect the puck and try to turn it into an offensive play...even before he's secured it in the first place. The best quality Lappy had previously in our lineup, was the sheer chaos he could create on the forecheck. That seems to be gone now, and he also looks slower on the defensive side of the puck. It's just not good. Hopefully he finds a way to get back up to speed this year, because if he doesn't...he's going to find himself right back where he was, as a fringe player bouncing around the league.

And i'm with you on the Garrison thing. He hasn't been horrendous, but he really hasn't been at all good either. I really hope it's just an adjustment thing, and he gets it together soon...because we're tied to this guy for a long time and on the hook for quite a bit of money at a time where the cap is about to take a huge nosedive.

He's looking a lot like Hjalmarsson when Campbell left him in Chicago. Slower, nothing like the defensive rock he appeared before, any offensive upside and even puck moving ability seems to have diminished significantly, and a lot more panic-prone. It really seems Campbell is something of the anti-Bieksa...as a roaming, risktaking erratic blueliner who somehow actually makes his stay-at-home partners look vastly better.

I really do hope Garrison turns it on, and i'm willing to be patient...but early returns have not impressed. Particularly when it comes to his mobility and puck movement. He seems unsure of what to do with the puck at times, as evidenced by numerous awful clearing attempts and blind passes. And he looks like easily our least mobile defender. Particularly when it comes to lateral mobility and change of direction. His skating just looks clunky out there, in this system. He gets places in a straight line...but in tight quarters and quick transitions, it's pretty unimpressive.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Not a flame, but I disagree with the idea. Ballard has been solid for sure, but let's not put the cart before the horse here. Bieksa is a big part of this core, and at the moment is one of several critical players playing well below their usual level. I would say there is a better than even chance that Bieksa (and the others) get their act together, at which time he becomes a much more valuable part of the team than Ballard, even at Ballard's current level of play.

Yeah I agree, I think they will get there game back, but this isn't the first time Bieksa has been this way. Bieksa is like Phaneuf IMO, amazing when he is on his game, but very inconsistent and absoluety terrible when he is off it.

Ballard has shown with Tanev (which is a luxury Bieksa also has with his Chemistry with Hammer) That he is a more consistent player IMO, this also goes back the last years playoffs and late last year where I thought Ballard was more consistent.

I'd like to see Ballard paired with someone other than Tanev before I'm making any drastic moves like trading Bieksa, which itself is crazy in my eyes. Trading Bieksa, or any defensemen right now would be a mistake because this is nothing new to our defense and especially our team to be playing like we are in the early stages of the season. There's a reason Bieksa is considered part of our core. I do agree, however, that we could likely get a nice return for Bieksa as his type of game is desired by a lot of teams. Philly comes to mind right away that would be calling MG.

Lets not make any drastic conclusions after four games.

No I mean in the offseason, where a big ticket D-man will have to be moved.

I do agree we need to see Ballard with more than just Tanev, although when you look at it that way you could counter that Bieksa is terrible with Edler, and that even with Hammer Bieksa hasn't looked great.

This also goes back to the playoffs and later last year where I felt Ballard was the more consistent player and obviously in the playoffs he was probably our best defenseman.

Like you I would like to see more what Ballard can do, this idea is just for the offseason if Ballard continues to play better than Bieksa.

Because like I said, and you agreed with we could get a real nice return for Bieksa, far better than Ballard.

AV needs to adapt, or Gillis should fire him. A bad PP is forgivable, but an inability to change things that aren't working is a terrible trait for a coach to have and should not be acceptable.

My exact feeling, and has been my feeling for awhile.

The way AV fails to get us prepared to play is also frightening to me, as it has been a major part of our downfall in the recent playoff years.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
To me its frustrating because thats why shots are not getting through for awhile now, they take way to much time before they shoot and it gives other teams way to much time to setup and block shots, its infuriating and i dont know why it has not been adjusted, its been happening for a number of years. Edler has a great shot but watch him the past number of years, and he constantly looks around for passes before he decides to shoot it.

Garrisson was brought in to be a big shot, its never going to happen if he is being told think pass, and think about your options before you shoot it (if that is whats happening), he needs to be told to blast it right away when he can before teams setup up in front. He did it in flordia, why the change here? ALl i can think is its our coaching staff.

All our defense men are like that, they always think pass before shoot. How many one timer goals do canucks score compared to other teams?

Karlsson had a beauty the other night, and i know hes got a great shot, but edler and garrison are no slouch shooting either.

The thing is...to quote the previous poster you quoted, the strength of that 'Ehrhoff-type' is that they can look at passing options as they're setting up a shot. We don't have that right now. But with the sort of PP our staff seems intent on using (and i don't blame them, as it's the best way to be the most out of the Sedins speciality), we still need someone who can be a true 'QB' back there and control the play. Having guys just indiscriminately firing pucks in the direction of the net isn't exactly the strategy that lead us to the top-PP in the league a while back.

Especially when it comes to guys like Hamhuis clapping pucks straight into PKer shinpads, and Edler/Garrison blasting pucks 8 feet wide of the net. Both end in our PP chasing pucks back into our own zone, wasting valuable PP time, and allowing the opposing PKers to get a solid change in with fresh bodies.

It may sound somewhat daft...but i'd honestly consider going with PP pairings of Tanev-Garrison and Bieksa-Edler. You get a booming shot on each, with a pair of guys who can actually move the puck well and put it on a tee for their partner when it opens up. At the very least...you're going to slant PK coverages toward the obvious 'shooter' on the PP, and that can open up space elsewhere on the ice.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I don't mind the Canucks not just pushing for point shots on the power play, because digging for rebounds isn't the Sedins game. But why not put Edler/Garrison (or at least Garrison) on the 2nd unit and give that one a different look? If the point is primary going to be used to move the puck or wrist it on net, just put Hamhuis/Bieksa out there with the Sedins

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
Lappy is one of my favourite players but he is playing so ****ing brutal right now. If you're not going to do anything, at least don't take unnecessary penalties.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
The thing is...to quote the previous poster you quoted, the strength of that 'Ehrhoff-type' is that they can look at passing options as they're setting up a shot. We don't have that right now. But with the sort of PP our staff seems intent on using (and i don't blame them, as it's the best way to be the most out of the Sedins speciality), we still need someone who can be a true 'QB' back there and control the play. Having guys just indiscriminately firing pucks in the direction of the net isn't exactly the strategy that lead us to the top-PP in the league a while back.

Especially when it comes to guys like Hamhuis clapping pucks straight into PKer shinpads, and Edler/Garrison blasting pucks 8 feet wide of the net. Both end in our PP chasing pucks back into our own zone, wasting valuable PP time, and allowing the opposing PKers to get a solid change in with fresh bodies.

It may sound somewhat daft...but i'd honestly consider going with PP pairings of Tanev-Garrison and Bieksa-Edler. You get a booming shot on each, with a pair of guys who can actually move the puck well and put it on a tee for their partner when it opens up. At the very least...you're going to slant PK coverages toward the obvious 'shooter' on the PP, and that can open up space elsewhere on the ice.

Just to be clear I never meant they should just blast pucks at the net.

The puck was on a tee a few times for edler tonight and he looked around to pass it then decided to shoot it, by then it was easily blocked. That to me is a wasted opportunity especially when it is constantly happening. All our guys on the blue line seem to be hesitant to fire it.

My point is the hesitation when a good shot is available results in a wasted shot where the other team has plenty of time to setup and block it. I dont say we should be constantly firing pucks at the net, but were not doing any one timers when they are available, and the hesitation when good shots are on a tee are being passed up with decisions to look for a pass and then decide to shoot later when its to late and the other team is back in position and ready to block it.

As for your powerplay pairings, i understand what your saying especially with erhoff and it would be great to have that, but with tanev out their with garrison teams are going to know who will shoot it. And even then im not sure if thats the issue, garrison, tanev, ballard, edler, hamhuis all seem tenative to shoot, not because they are not being setup properly, but because they feel they should look for passes first, and shoot as a last option.

I would definitely try your suggestion though. I just worry with something like tanev/garrison teams will read who the puck is going to for a shot.

Bieksa is about the only one that seems to want to shoot it, but he does not have the best shot either.

Last edited:

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
The thing is...to quote the previous poster you quoted, the strength of that 'Ehrhoff-type' is that they can look at passing options as they're setting up a shot. We don't have that right now. But with the sort of PP our staff seems intent on using (and i don't blame them, as it's the best way to be the most out of the Sedins speciality), we still need someone who can be a true 'QB' back there and control the play.

Yep, that's exactly it.

The thing about Garrison's one-timer is that, in Florida, he was being set up by Brian Campbell, who is even better than Ehrhoff at moving the puck around on the PP. Campbell had 30 PP assists last year. That put him second behind Giroux, ahead of names like Karlsson and Malkin.

Now, we don't have that guy, and we won't have him any time soon - the way our team is structured there's simply no room barring wholesale shake-up or the acquisition of an elite prospect. And this is where the coaching angle comes in for me, you need a re-work of out strategy so that we don't rely on quick movement from the point. I think having Garrison and Edler shoot a bit more is part of that. Right now I think they're hoping Garrison is Ehrhoff Mk.II, which he isn't.

Apart from the not shooting from the point, we are a little too static at the moment. Aside from the usual Sedin back-and-forth, there's very little movement in the PP. The passing seems to move in a ring around the outside, with no one really attempting to draw the PKers out of position, and allow one of the d-men to drop into the slot or around the other side of the net. Garrison looked like he was trying to do that against Anaheim, but mostly without success.

The puck was on a tee a few times for edler tonight and he looked around to pass it then decided to shoot it, by then it was easily blocked. That to me is a wasted opportunity.

My point is the hesitation constantly results in wasted shot where the other team has plenty of time to setup and block shots. I dont say we should be constantly firing pucks at the net, but were not doing any of it, and the hesitation when good shots are on a tee, are being passed up.

I agree, it's the pause that allows the PKers to get into a perfect set-up to block the shot.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
It frustrates the hell out of me that we have freakin' Alex Edler and Jason Garrison on our first unit PP and we are SO reluctant to set up one timers.

Just blast away, boys. Stop trying to be cute.

This drives me bat**** every game. While both are guilt, Garrison seems particularly shy to unload the cannon. How did Montreal win tonight? Slap shot, buried the rebound. The team is too concerned with the 'perfect' goal instead of a goal period.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Yep, that's exactly it.

he was being set up by Brian Campbell, who is even better than Ehrhoff at moving the puck around on the PP. Campbell had 30 PP assists last year. That put him second behind Giroux, ahead of names like Karlsson and Malkin.

Now, we don't have that guy, and we won't have him any time soon

Henrik Sedin?

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

The puck was on a tee a few times for edler tonight and he looked around to pass it then decided to shoot it, by then it was easily blocked. That to me is a wasted opportunity especially when it is constantly happening. All our guys on the blue line seem to be hesitant to fire it.

My point is the hesitation when a good shot is available results in a wasted shot where the other team has plenty of time to setup and block it. I dont say we should be constantly firing pucks at the net, but were not doing any one timers when they are available, and the hesitation when good shots are on a tee are being passed up with decisions to look for a pass and then decide to shoot later when its to late and the other team is back in position and ready to block it.

As for your powerplay pairings, i understand what your saying especially with erhoff and it would be great to have that, but with tanev out their with garrison teams are going to know who will shoot it. And even then im not sure if thats the issue, garrison, tanev, ballard, edler, hamhuis all seem tenative to shoot, not because they are not being setup properly, but because they feel they should look for passes first, and shoot as a last option. Although an erhoff option certainly would have been nice.

I would definitely try your suggestion though, it might just work and you might be right. I just worry with something like tanev/garrison teams will read who the puck is going to for a shot.

Bieksa is about the only one that seems to want to shoot it, but he does not have the best shot either.

There's certainly no guarantees it would work, but i do think that teams getting overly confident reading into who the 'shooter' is, can be an advantage in itself on the PP.

With the Schroeder/Raymond unit, you potential open up shots off the half wall, which as we saw tonight...a guy like Schroeder can wire the puck from there (albeit, maybe off the post :laugh:). Same for Raymond.

And in the case of the Sedin unit, maybe you open up some more space down low and a different set of seams for that cross-ice play they love so dearly.

Right now you're getting a box that can square up pretty consistently and pressure out as needed, and it seems to minimize the real good passing lanes. We're already getting more of Hank on the LW wall instead of the RW, presumably trying to open up the big shot of Garrison on the opposite side Right point. But it's the same sort of thing that sputtered late last year.

Again, there's no guarantees that would work. But at this point...what we've got going isn't working at all either...so what've we got to lose? And the other part of it is...without a guy like Ehrhoff who can change the dynamic on the fly...we're probably going to have to change it up relatively often with different looks and different concepts. It's not the end of the world...but without a guy like Ehrhoff who can be a true wildcard on the PP...teams are going to scout it and key in on what we're doing because it's going to be more predictable.

Yep, that's exactly it.

The thing about Garrison's one-timer is that, in Florida, he was being set up by Brian Campbell, who is even better than Ehrhoff at moving the puck around on the PP. Campbell had 30 PP assists last year. That put him second behind Giroux, ahead of names like Karlsson and Malkin.

Now, we don't have that guy, and we won't have him any time soon - the way our team is structured there's simply no room barring wholesale shake-up or the acquisition of an elite prospect. And this is where the coaching angle comes in for me, you need a re-work of out strategy so that we don't rely on quick movement from the point. I think having Garrison and Edler shoot a bit more is part of that. Right now I think they're hoping Garrison is Ehrhoff Mk.II, which he isn't.

Apart from the not shooting from the point, we are a little too static at the moment. Aside from the usual Sedin back-and-forth, there's very little movement in the PP. The passing seems to move in a ring around the outside, with no one really attempting to draw the PKers out of position, and allow one of the d-men to drop into the slot or around the other side of the net. Garrison looked like he was trying to do that against Anaheim, but mostly without success.

I agree, it's the pause that allows the PKers to get into a perfect set-up to block the shot.

I think one of the biggest things we miss with Ehrhoff, is that ability to walk the line to create new seams for passing AND shooting. Campbell is a master at it, as is a guy like Karlsson at the elite end of things. That sort of PP QB isn't an option for us right now...but i think that's one of the biggest things missing right now, and has been for a while. Having those sort of players QBing the PP allows teams to bend and break the PK box from up high, whereas we seem to struggle in doing so.

Which is i think a big part of why you see so much double-clutching from the point on our PP. It's because shooting/passing lanes simply aren't there because PKers are able to get out there and square up fairly easily. Just telescoping in and out as needed.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
When Kesler is back, I hope to see a PP unit of:

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Kassian
Kesler - Edler

Saves Kesler the wear and tear from being in front of the net so much, and frees him up to use his big RH shot. He can also walk in and use that wrister of his if there's room.

And, of course, he and Edler can both fire one-timers. 2nd unit:

Booth - Schroeder - Burrows/Higgins
Bieksa - Garrison

You have RH and LH shots back there just like the first unit.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
When Kesler is back, I hope to see a PP unit of:

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Kassian
Kesler - Edler

Saves Kesler the wear and tear from being in front of the net so much, and frees him up to use his big RH shot. He can also walk in and use that wrister of his if there's room.

And, of course, he and Edler can both fire one-timers. 2nd unit:

Booth - Schroeder - Burrows/Higgins
Bieksa - Garrison

You have RH and LH shots back there just like the first unit.

Interesting idea.

Although I do like Kesler infront of the net for his Handeye/deflections.

He had a good shot but his ability to deflect pucks is what really made him very effective infront of the net, I don't think Kassian is as good at that quite yet.

I would go like this:

1st PP:

Sedin - Kesler - Sedin
Edler - Garrison

Still utilize Garrison's big shot.

2nd PP:

Booth - Schroeder - Kassian
Burrows/Raymond - Bieksa/Hamhuis/Ballard

I really like having Raymond on this line, I know it isn't ideal to put him on the point as he has no prior real history, but he has shown he has good offensive skills, if he gets and opportunity to shoot he has a pretty accurate shot.

Maybe we can put JS out for the draw, then after wards he slides back to the point (since he has experiance) then Raymond/Burrows go and play down low.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Well, that sure sucked.

I'm starting to think the coaching has to change. It's the same chronic problems over and over and over again. Lame starts, nobody on the ball in their own zone, team's totally undisciplined...I'm trying to remember the last time the Canucks looked ready to go for a game with everyone on the same page. This team has had only minor changes in the last 2 years yet they still look like they've never seen each other before half the time.

--defensive coverage: still a problem.
--breakouts: still a problem.
--discipline: non-existent.
--special teams: mediocre to just plain bad for a year now.

It's looking more and more like the Canucks have a country club mentality where the coaches aren't coaching anymore and letting the players be "accountable" to themselves, which is great when we're at the top of the standings but not so much when the team's getting manhandled by teams they used to utterly *****slap. The problem is, I just don't know who they'd get to replace AV, Bowness and the rest.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Well, that sure sucked.

I'm starting to think the coaching has to change. It's the same chronic problems over and over and over again. Lame starts, nobody on the ball in their own zone, team's totally undisciplined...I'm trying to remember the last time the Canucks looked ready to go for a game with everyone on the same page. This team has had only minor changes in the last 2 years yet they still look like they've never seen each other before half the time.

--defensive coverage: still a problem.
--breakouts: still a problem.
--discipline: non-existent.
--special teams: mediocre to just plain bad for a year now.

It's looking more and more like the Canucks have a country club mentality where the coaches aren't coaching anymore and letting the players be "accountable" to themselves, which is great when we're at the top of the standings but not so much when the team's getting manhandled by teams they used to utterly *****slap. The problem is, I just don't know who they'd get to replace AV, Bowness and the rest.

Glad to see more and more people are starting to see this, as I have been banging this drum for quite sometime.

Couldn't agree more with your post, the "country club mentality" as you put it is something I have noticed too and is something I don't like.

As far as I'm concerned you hit the nail on the head with everything you put into this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad